37"x13.50 on a 17"x8" rim experience Anyone running a 37"x13.50 on a 17"x8" rim

mtgbaker

Anyone running a 37"x13.50 on a 17"x8" rim
I would like to hear back from you in regards to tire wear, or any pros & cons that you've experienced.

That seems like a pretty normal setup. When it comes to tire wear you really wanna look at your tire pressure.

A larger tire has a heavier load rating than stock, with a much stiffer sidewall. Therefore it’s “easier” for the tires to withstand the load of your Jeep, hence why you should run a lower pressure than what is says on the door. Factory and higher air pressure will cause a harsh ride and wear just the center of your tires. I believe you have a JL so factory pressure on the door sill is 37psi, so I’d start around 32 for the road and go from there depending on what feels best, and what allows the tire to have full contact on the road shoulder to shoulder.

Note that getting lower (I believe 30 and under for the JL) will also trigger the TPMS low pressure warning, and that the threshold can be adjusted by something like a Tazer OBD programmer.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've run 37x13.50s Toyo's on a 17x8 beadlock and found the load range E sidewalls to be bulletproof. To this day, it's the only tire that I've ever run that has not suffered sidewall damage. That said and as mentioned, you will find that the ride is firmer for daily driving. Something to consider.

Anyone running a 37"x13.50 on a 17"x8" rim
I would like to hear back from you in regards to tire wear, or any pros & cons that you've experienced.
Lots of good answers above. It is worth mentioning that the answer depends on tire brand and model. All terrain will be different than mud tires.

CalSgt

Hooked
I ran the 37x13.5 R17 Cooper STT Pro's on 8.5" KMC wheels, other than typical cupping like luggy mud terrains do, they all wore down fairly even and I got over 40K miles out of them. Probably could have gotten at least another 10K or so had I been better about rotating them, they just got too noisy at the end of their life.

jeeeep

Hooked
I ran the 37x13.5 R17 Cooper STT Pro's on 8.5" KMC wheels, other than typical cupping like luggy mud terrains do, they all wore down fairly even and I got over 40K miles out of them. Probably could have gotten at least another 10K or so had I been better about rotating them, they just got too noisy at the end of their life.
I run the same setup on my JKU, KMC beadlocks, they've lasted and are now very noisy.
When I was daily driving it and wheeling it a few times a year, I was replacing hubs about every 6 months, ball joints every year; it's hard on the suspension. Didn't think -38 vs -24 BS would make any difference but it does

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I run the same setup on my JKU, KMC beadlocks, they've lasted and are now very noisy.
When I was daily driving it and wheeling it a few times a year, I was replacing hubs about every 6 months, ball joints every year; it's hard on the suspension. Didn't think -38 vs -24 BS would make any difference but it does
WTH? Every six months?? I dunno, I've been running 3.5" of BS on all my Jeeps for almost 2 decades now and can't say I've ever had hubs and ball joints go out that fast. I mean, sure, they wear out faster than they would on a stock Jeep but man, that's crazy fast.

That said, there are definite benefits to more back spacing especially when it comes to wear and tear on components.

jeeeep

Hooked
WTH? Every six months?? I dunno, I've been running 3.5" of BS on all my Jeeps for almost 2 decades now and can't say I've ever had hubs and ball joints go out that fast. I mean, sure, they wear out faster than they would on a stock Jeep but man, that's crazy fast.

That said, there are definite benefits to more back spacing especially when it comes to wear and tear on components.
yeah, I can't figure out why hubs are wearing out so fast. The only big difference are the 13.5" Coopers, it's not that much wider than the BFG KO2 I've been running, possible the extra 22 pound per tire could be a cause, I don't know but it's pretty much parked.

I'm slowly, very slowly replacing worn out bushings and other worn-out suspension parts that would likely help cause additional wear and tear.

Fishfam_jku

Caught the Bug
I've run 37x13.50s Toyo's on a 17x8 beadlock and found the load range E sidewalls to be bulletproof. To this day, it's the only tire that I've ever run that has not suffered sidewall damage. That said and as mentioned, you will find that the ride is firmer for daily driving. Something to consider.
This. Same setup.
Heavy as hell and even with the offset still get good life out of the BJs and bearings. Keeping up with rotations and proper PSI keeps the Toyos wearing flat. Just have get down to <10psi to get them damn sidewalls to flex on those E rated tires. Also consider your new width, I’m sitting right at 82”.

Top Bottom