4.88 or 5.13 gears on 37 inch tires?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Here's a question I haven't seen answered. I'm looking at rings and pinion sets with the addition of an install kit which seems to run in the 300 - 400$ (maybe I'm missing something) but what kind of price average do I have to look for including installation for a gear swap?

Don't follow me, I'm lost too! O|||||||O

Anywhere from $1,000 to $2,500.

Jerms

I have an 08 auto with 37s and just installed 5.13s. I can't say enough good things about em. I also installed nitro cromos w 1350 ujoints, nitro sleeves and EVO gussets while I was down there. Don't forget that you need to reprogram once you change the axle ratio!

Sent from my PC36100 using WAYALIFE mobile app

munstie

Running 5.13's in my 11 with 35" Toyo's and love the difference it made.

2011 JKU 3.5 R.E. Longarm lift.

Last edited:

GuillaumeC91

Anywhere from $1,000 to $2,500.

Damn, sort of what I thought I saw. Don't know if it's just me but it feels pricey for what is it. When I pay for something in that price range I'm expecting more "materials" lol. Wheels, tires, bumpers haha, I feel like those small gears are not the easiest to throw in. Guess I'll have to suck it up since I just learnt my Sport is running 3.73"...

Don't follow me, I'm lost too! O|||||||O

jkugeza

4 wheel parts will change it... and for an extra fee will warrantee their work for 5years or 60,000 miles with a no questions asked, you break we fix...

I have that on my full pr44 and my rear d44 gears and lockers.

so you got a pr44 upfront, it came with gears, you bought the same size gears for a 44 in the rear and had 4wp install them? im looking to do that with 4.88 gears. let me know, thanks

aermotor

I bought a rear with 5.38s in it already and it's a massive step up from the stock 4.10s. I know there is a lot of negative on 5.38s here so I guess we'll see how it goes. I don't wheel dumb, though that doesn't mean anything :beer:

ttfhell

I bought a rear with 5.38s in it already and it's a massive step up from the stock 4.10s. I know there is a lot of negative on 5.38s here so I guess we'll see how it goes. I don't wheel dumb, though that doesn't mean anything :beer:

That's how a man does it! I have the same after driving someone else's. I don't have stock axles though.

jeeeep

Hooked
I'm wondering how the advance adapters rubicrawler would do to get the ratios back, I like the 4.88's for DD but would like to get the crawl without going to 5.13. The rubicrawler is about the same price as a gear swap but looks like something much easier to do in the garage.

Those of you with LS swaps, are you still using the JK transfer case?

bkac

Caught the Bug
yea but with the 3.8 you basically loose OD lockout and I use it when towing or making the trips across I-70 Colorado, I don't want to drive it with the rpms' tipping at the high end the entire way

I personally think you will be happier having a bit more power. 4.88s, 37's, and a 3.8l is really pushing it for power. I understand though what you are saying. Tough decision

KingCopperhead

Touch choice. I'm running 4.88s on 35s in my 3.6 manual. It crawled so well at Rausch last week that I'm debating staying on 35s myself. You might want to go 5.13, I'm not saying that I regret my 4.88s but I'm afraid to go to 37s now. It felt that good in the rocks, don't wanna lose the sweet spot I'm in lol.

jeeeep

Hooked
Touch choice. I'm running 4.88s on 35s in my 3.6 manual. It crawled so well at Rausch last week that I'm debating staying on 35s myself. You might want to go 5.13, I'm not saying that I regret my 4.88s but I'm afraid to go to 37s now. It felt that good in the rocks, don't wanna lose the sweet spot I'm in lol.

exactly, it's great right now with the 35's , I know i'll lose some with the 37's but an LS swap is getting closer and I'm thinking the advance adapter may be a good choice for the LS as well, more power will make the 4.88's happy and transfer case will make the crawl happy ...I hope lol

Unless the 2016 will really have a diesel then scratch the plans, get the diesel and swap some parts and turn the 2010 over to my daughter (painted black lol)

KingCopperhead

I think noroad runs 37s on a 6spd 3.6. He likes em. I'll still probably give 37s a go. Worst case scenario is I have to sell em and get 35s again. LS swap is a LONG way away for me. LoL

dwmgcs

I'm running 5.13's with 35's and with an automatic it's almost perfect and feels like when I go to 37's it will be dead on, especially for highway driving, with a manual you might want 4.88's, I'm also running a rubicrawler and a RocTrac transfer case and the combination is great, I have a lot of gears to chose from for off road and love that added 2 low.

NV375

2014 JKUR auto just had ORE regear w/5.13s and I am still running 35s. I have only hit 70 mph once so far and that came out to 3000 RPM. Much better than stock 4.10s.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
2014 JKUR auto just had ORE regear w/5.13s and I am still running 35s. I have only hit 70 mph once so far and that came out to 3000 RPM. Much better than stock 4.10s.

did you see a huge change in MPGs? for better or for worse?

Top Bottom