4.88 rear and 5.13 front

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Forgive my ignorance, why do you feel he was 'pretty dumb'? After all, owner manual says shift in/out of 4H is good up to 50MPH. Granted 'any' speed with mismatched gearing could be fatal, but that's a side issue. (50'something as I recall w/o manual in front of me)

I've had 5 4x4s now, all shift on the fly just fine. While I honor the guidance regarding when to shift, I'm more focused on going to a neutral throttle (minimal loading) when I flip the switch/lever/button/whatever actuator is. I like the JK's shift in particular: Nice, solid transfer with a solid yank of the lever.

If you are going 30mph on a road it's retarded. If you need me to explain that I feel sorry for you.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Forgive my ignorance, why do you feel he was 'pretty dumb'? After all, owner manual says shift in/out of 4H is good up to 50MPH. Granted 'any' speed with mismatched gearing could be fatal, but that's a side issue. (50'something as I recall w/o manual in front of me)

I've had 5 4x4s now, all shift on the fly just fine. While I honor the guidance regarding when to shift, I'm more focused on going to a neutral throttle (minimal loading) when I flip the switch/lever/button/whatever actuator is. I like the JK's shift in particular: Nice, solid transfer with a solid yank of the lever.

If you are going 30mph on a road it's retarded. If you need me to explain that I feel sorry for you.

Adam, how about explaining adverse road conditions? Where I live, we have snow that falls onto the roadway and when it does, it can cause hazardous and slippery road conditions. Going 30 mph on roads with snow on them is not retarded at all. The conditions while driving on the road change constantly depending on the elevation, aspect and precipitation. I have many times driven up to 55 mph in 4-High in the snow and then had to slow way down, depending on the type of snow. Sometimes, the snow conditions change within 1-2 miles. So shifting on the fly is critical. If I had to slow down to 30 mph on the freeway to shift would not only be rude, but downright dangerous to the flow of traffic.

Please note that not everyone lives in Southern California. Also, no sympathy needed, I love living in snow country.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Adam, how about explaining adverse road conditions? Where I live, we have snow that falls onto the roadway and when it does, it can cause hazardous and slippery road conditions. Going 30 mph on roads with snow on them is not retarded at all. The conditions while driving on the road change constantly depending on the elevation, aspect and precipitation. I have many times driven up to 55 mph in 4-High in the snow and then had to slow way down, depending on the type of snow. Sometimes, the snow conditions change within 1-2 miles. So shifting on the fly is critical. If I had to slow down to 30 mph on the freeway to shift would not only be rude, but downright dangerous to the flow of traffic.

Please note that not everyone lives in Southern California. Also, no sympathy needed, I love living in snow country.

Yeah I also lived in central NY for 20 years and grew up learning to drive in shitty weather. If I need 4wd I shouldn't be going 30mph.

chili84

It's the Internet. Don't take life so seriously.

Tell you what, you drive YOUR Jeep how you want and I'll drive MINE how I want. If it's "retarded" in your mind, then so be it. For us that think differently let it be. I may not be as knowledgeable as others which is why I asked the question. If you don't like it, keep scrolling.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Tell you what, you drive YOUR Jeep how you want and I'll drive MINE how I want. If it's "retarded" in your mind, then so be it. For us that think differently let it be. I may not be as knowledgeable as others which is why I asked the question. If you don't like it, keep scrolling.

I will gladly drive my jeep how I want with matching gear ratios. You, not so much.

chili84

I will gladly drive my jeep how I want with matching gear ratios. You, not so much.

Bro I was deployed to a shit hole country when the shop installed everything. I wasn't exactly there to see it take place. So if you have open heart surgery are you gonna cut yourself back open to make sure the doctor did the operation correctly? I didn't think so

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Bro I was deployed to a shit hole country when the shop installed everything. I wasn't exactly there to see it take place. So if you have open heart surgery are you gonna cut yourself back open to make sure the doctor did the operation correctly? I didn't think so

Oh look the usual "I'm in the military so praise me" post.

Of course your not gonna rip your heart open but if your spending tons of money on parts for your jeep you better as hell look over everything before you drive off

chili84

Oh look the usual "I'm in the military so praise me" post.

Of course your not gonna rip your heart open but if your spending tons of money on parts for your jeep you better as hell look over everything before you drive off

OMFG. Praise me??? Are you serious?! I suppose it would have been different if I said I was on a business trip or an auto reply I'm currently out of the office?? Thanks for the help guys that did provide some. Everyone else can fuck off.

Brute

Hooked
Wow. I doubt damage was done since you've operated in 4wd such a little amount of time. Input side leaking where? Tcase or axle? When were the gears installed? I'm glad the shop took care of you, but ouch, they really should have checked that. And test drove the vehicle in 4wd after they installed the gears.........

When you get your rig back, drive about 200 miles without long highway trips, then open the diff and change the gear oil and check it for metal shavings on the bottom...

cmireles

Yeah I have one of those too. I never said it couldn't be done.

When you said "it's now on the internet so it must be true," we're you not implying that it isn't? If not, then my mistake.

I, like many of us here, have also grown up learning to drive in shitty winter weather. But at no point have I ever felt "man I'm stupid for going over 30 on a snowy road with 4wd."

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
When you said "it's now on the internet so it must be true," we're you not implying that it isn't? If not, then my mistake.

I, like many of us here, have also grown up learning to drive in shitty winter weather. But at no point have I ever felt "man I'm stupid for going over 30 on a snowy road with 4wd."

I wasn't implying anything. You interpreted it that way.

chili84

When you get your rig back, drive about 200 miles without long highway trips, then open the diff and change the gear oil and check it for metal shavings on the bottom...

Thank you Brute. I just had it changed yesterday and there wasn't any shavings or chunks of any kind. It'll get changed again when the shop installs the right gear. Maybe this time I'll be looking over the mechanics shoulder to make sure he's doing it right. Seems like that's what some people here do.

Top Bottom