40s on stock axles

BADASH

FB_IMG_1478797487388.jpg

Sorry to bring up an old thread. but hows everyones luck on the 37s or 40s?
i just put new 37 " trepadors on mine and wish i would have went with 40's
Everytime I search I read this thread.
3 times now lol.

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

I wouldn't do 40s unless you just want to look cool around town. If you wheel it, I think you're more likely to break stuff as long as you're on stock axles. Just based on reading.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

WJCO

Meme King
3 times now lol.

powerfist.jpg

Well. People have done it before.........

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

Hammmerhead

3 times now lol.[/QUOTE]

I have about 7K miles on mine with 40's, but most daily miles. Rubi with 4:88's, Ten rear axles and 40x15.5x20 Toyo's. I have pushed it or "hopped" it couple of hard times thinking, ok here goes the ring gear, but it hasn't happened. In many instances I have been able to complete trails with less force or pedal due to the fact I'm running 40's. All the crew I run with have 37's and it seems like they are beating on theirs rigs harder just to follow me. The width of the tire seems to help more than I would have thought. I'm leaning towards a set of 37's or maybe a 40 that's more narrow, just because of freeway manners.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Just keep telling yourself it's ok to run 40s on stock axles.

I've broken ring gears with much smaller than 40s and axles with 37s.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Stotch

Caught the Bug
If you can't afford the axles to handle 40s well, just swap out your coils for an inch or two shorter. Make those 37s LOOK bigger ;)

BADASH

If you can't afford the axles to handle 40s well, just swap out your coils for an inch or two shorter. Make those 37s LOOK bigger ;)

I have rcvs up front and 5.38 gears . its an automatic so i think i could crawl around on the 40's and not have to gas it as much . but i could see binding them up and the 40s would try to break something way faster.
we will have to wait and see if the 37s tackle all i want to point it at. if not i have some super duty axles laying around :)
thanks for your input guys. :beer:

J

JKDream

I have rcvs up front and 5.38 gears . its an automatic so i think i could crawl around on the 40's and not have to gas it as much . but i could see binding them up and the 40s would try to break something way faster.
we will have to wait and see if the 37s tackle all i want to point it at. if not i have some super duty axles laying around :)

That setup sounds like a recipe for disaster lol
5:38's, shafts stronger than a ring gear, and 40's.
Honestly, 37's will take you 99% of the places 40's will with a good driver.

WJCO

Meme King

5.38s on a D60 would be a much better setup due to the larger gear material.

Serj5.7

3 times now lol.

I have about 7K miles on mine with 40's, but most daily miles. Rubi with 4:88's, Ten rear axles and 40x15.5x20 Toyo's. I have pushed it or "hopped" it couple of hard times thinking, ok here goes the ring gear, but it hasn't happened. In many instances I have been able to complete trails with less force or pedal due to the fact I'm running 40's. All the crew I run with have 37's and it seems like they are beating on theirs rigs harder just to follow me. The width of the tire seems to help more than I would have thought. I'm leaning towards a set of 37's or maybe a 40 that's more narrow, just because of freeway manners.[/QUOTE]

Nice man so u have 4.88 and 4.10 rear ? Just want to make sure I understand you correct ? Ya every one ales said not a good idea to run 40s ,,,but I'm keep coming cross keep on 40s and stuck gears ??

BADASH

Yes the d60 would be great up front but i cant justify it yet.
i have it but thats only a 10th of the cost.
If i were going to do 1 tons i would have bought a 2wd JKU.
so ill try and use all the Rubicon stuff and just be happy with the 37's.
Hard coming from wheeling a yj on 44's with a big block though. :eek:

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Nice man so u have 4.88 and 4.10 rear ? Just want to make sure I understand you correct ? Ya every one ales said not a good idea to run 40s ,,,but I'm keep coming cross keep on 40s and stuck gears ??

What exactly is your question here? Where did you get 4.10 from?

Aztecdiver

I run 37's and broke a knuckle, ball joints, axle and tie rod end....I'm very nervous about 40's now and I run chromoly axles. I'm sure the way you wheel and the terrain are as big of a factor as the type of tire your running.

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Lil Nasty

This is just my opinion. I have no experience in rubicon axles or 40's. But if you're choosing to run 40's on stock axles it's probably because you can't afford to run the appropriate equipment to support those tires. If that's the case then can you afford to repair it when things break? How often are you looking to do said repairs? Where are you going to be when things go bad? How much is trail rescue going to cost? These are the questions I'm left with.

GraniteCrystal

This is just my opinion. I have no experience in rubicon axles or 40's. But if you're choosing to run 40's on stock axles it's probably because you can't afford to run the appropriate equipment to support those tires. If that's the case then can you afford to repair it when things break? How often are you looking to do said repairs? Where are you going to be when things go bad? How much is trail rescue going to cost? These are the questions I'm left with.

Great points. A set of 60s starts to look cheap compared to some towing costs I've seen for backcountry rescues. And that's assuming that the cost is the worst part of it and no one was put in danger.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

Top Bottom