4Runner to Wrangler

burnt clutch

Picked up a new to me 2019 Unlimited Rubicon 6MT with 40k miles.
My offroad background is mostly Toyota (and Polaris Rzr). I’ve had multiple Tacoma’s and 4Runners. I used to have a 98 ZJ 5.9 waaaay back in the day 20 years ago as well, which I loved. They’ve all treated me well, but I’ve always wanted a Wrangler. My daughters also begged for one as well.

I’m in northern Utah and love spending time in central Utah (San Rafael Swells, Cap Reef, White Rim area) and southwest Colorado (San Juans).

Hoping the learning curve isn’t too bad with the Wrangler. Fortunately, there are lots of how to videos out there, and resources like this forum.

Currently planned mods are very basic. I don’t do anything crazy.
- Dynatrac Endurosport 2” lift
- 35” tires. Either KO2 or Patagonia.
- Alu stubby Bumper/Winch

That’s it (for now 😆).

1675656631340.jpeg

Last edited:

DZRTJP

Welcome from Arizona 👋

You live in a great area for learning your new Jeep.
Nice Rubi, is that the Gator color? Looks darker than Gobi. Your daughters have good taste in vehicles 😁

burnt clutch

Thanks all!

Welcome from Arizona 👋

You live in a great area for learning your new Jeep.
Nice Rubi, is that the Gator color? Looks darker than Gobi. Your daughters have good taste in vehicles 😁

It’s Sting Gray. I like it so far. My only requirements were a soft top and manual transmission. 🙂

rubi_vette

Welcome @burnt clutch

Congrats! Curious- Why did you jump from the 4 runner over to the rubicon? I looked at a 4 Runner myself prior to this, but my problem was the lack of leg room/head room for me.

burnt clutch

Welcome @burnt clutch

Congrats! Curious- Why did you jump from the 4 runner over to the rubicon? I looked at a 4 Runner myself prior to this, but my problem was the lack of leg room/head room for me.

Few reasons:
- I’ve had a lot of Toyota’s. I’ve always wanted to try a Jeep Wrangler.
- My 4Runner had 33’s and a slight lift. But it took a lot to fit them. I had to trim quite a bit and do a body mount chop. And it still rubbed!
- Capability: My stock Rubicon is 3x more capable than my modified 4Runner. 4Runner was capable enough to tackle the trails I frequent. But some of the spots took stacking and expert spotting. The Jeep will minimize stacking and lift some burden from the spotters.
- Manual transmission. Toyota got rid of the manual in 4Runners back in 2001. I had a new Tacoma with a 6-speed manual, which was ok. 2.57:1 4Lo ratio was ok as well, but it ain’t nothing like 4:1 in the Jeep!
- Top down. No explanation needed 😆

I’m not worried about reliability (knock on wood). Toyota’s had their fair share of issues as well. Nothing’s perfect.
Interior room is definitely smaller but I’m an ultralight backpacker, so plenty of space.

I’m loving it so far.

Top Bottom