68' M715 AKA "Smokey", 8.1 engine on links, coils and 40's

Rock40

Lots of little stuff today

Knocked out the final welding on the power steering box mount

62070A17-2F53-4F24-9E8A-5C92D610CFA3.jpeg

EBAED6F3-FFCF-4AD4-B1EB-2A91162AB17A.jpeg

Pulled the inner passenger fender and finished the cutting/sanding so I could mount the coil reservoir

011509E0-DAEC-43FA-B063-DC377D749660.jpeg

1D6E8B48-6000-442B-B2C9-E41449CECD28.jpeg

4D11D83D-71D5-4B86-8B29-72000959053A.jpeg

Rock40

Reinstalled all the inner/outer fenders and the grill. Getting ready to start cycling the front suspension and steering

4FB7EF16-E9B6-4B0B-B4F8-B5C0D501E16C.jpeg

8C09BB9D-61E1-4EE3-B5DE-9DE1A5F9CEF2.jpeg

Pulled the sad tailgate out of storage. It is seriously screwed and it looks like some drunken Private backed into all sorts of shit

7F21EFC5-B5B0-4CBE-8E55-15CC0E176E8F.jpeg

These photos don’t really do the damage justice. The plan is cutting it apart in order to work some of the dents out and make it “flatish”. I’m going to have to fab all new hinges, the factory ones are too bent to hell to even consider making them work

DA39B1A5-229A-4F3E-B369-B46798792533.jpeg

AD7C6CB1-7E82-494D-AB21-5F443C527704.jpeg

WesternCruiser

I will hop in here to talk about the radios we are using for this build. We have a Kenwood TK-790H, VHF (for 2-meter Ham and also all of PCI's frequencies), and a Kenwood TK-890H, UHF. GMRS is in the UHF band but this radio is NOT FCC-certified for use in GMRS, so we won't be using it for that. These radios have a maximum output of 110 watts but can be easily programmed for 45 watts. We both have necessary licenses for the frequencies we will use.

Both of these radios are remote-head and we will be feeding both radios off one head, one at a time, which looks like this: 1643814051818.png
These radios are commercial radios, used in school buses, ambulances, police cars, etc. You have to program them with exactly the frequencies you want to use--not a big deal.

We went with these over consumer-grade radios because we believe these are simpler to operate, more durable, more reliable and perform very well with good audio.

Kenwood offers smaller commercial options, contrasted here (TK-7360H, 50 watts maximum) on top of the TK-790H that we used. We went with the big ones so we could program them for 45 watts and just loaf them along, with the option for 110 watts if we felt it necessary. 1643814088904.png
(Looking great, Ross!)

CalSgt

Hooked
I will hop in here to talk about the radios we are using for this build. We have a Kenwood TK-790H, VHF (for 2-meter Ham and also all of PCI's frequencies), and a Kenwood TK-890H, UHF. GMRS is in the UHF band but this radio is NOT FCC-certified for use in GMRS, so we won't be using it for that. These radios have a maximum output of 110 watts but can be easily programmed for 45 watts. We both have necessary licenses for the frequencies we will use.

Both of these radios are remote-head and we will be feeding both radios off one head, one at a time, which looks like this: View attachment 371795
These radios are commercial radios, used in school buses, ambulances, police cars, etc. You have to program them with exactly the frequencies you want to use--not a big deal.

We went with these over consumer-grade radios because we believe these are simpler to operate, more durable, more reliable and perform very well with good audio.

Kenwood offers smaller commercial options, contrasted here (TK-7360H, 50 watts maximum) on top of the TK-790H that we used. We went with the big ones so we could program them for 45 watts and just loaf them along, with the option for 110 watts if we felt it necessary. View attachment 371796
(Looking great, Ross!)
I wish I had the attention span to be a comms nerd, I've tried to read up on the licensing process and tests and cant even get through that. I will probably need to take a class then remediate the class.

WesternCruiser

I wish I had the attention span to be a comms nerd, I've tried to read up on the licensing process and tests and cant even get through that. I will probably need to take a class then remediate the class.
Absolutely. Ross and I talk about all aspects of this build, almost daily, but every time I mention the comm stuff he responds with something like "yeah, I don't know--I just weld metal; send me stuff and I will try to fit it in the build," so he can certainly relate. That's why he had me chime in about radios. I hope to offer up some details on our setup as we go, without getting bogged down in it. I'm no authority, but I think I have a good plan for a solid system for this truck. (Time will tell.) More to follow.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You guys realize there are other threads than just this one right? I mean you both joined and have only posted in this thread. Are you trying to be a part of something or just have people compliment you?

253 combined posts between the two of you and all in this thread.

Rock40

Anyways…. Knocked out some biggish things today

PSC pump arrived, set up for hydro boost

5E0B29F2-F8A7-41A1-B43F-E1DD332EFCF4.jpeg

Sourced a tool that makes it very easy to press the pulley onto the pump shaft, far better than smacking it on with a deadblow hammer

D97D8FCF-683C-4C2F-8FD7-69DD266094FE.jpeg

Installed. Goes FAST when you don’t have to fabricate pieces!

5A5B7CE7-BC01-4ED0-827B-E0FC883F5AC3.jpeg

WesternCruiser

You guys realize there are other threads than just this one right? I mean you both joined and have only posted in this thread. Are you trying to be a part of something or just have people compliment you?

253 combined posts between the two of you and all in this thread.
Well...to be fair. I have only ever posted two posts, total, and all within 24 hours, so--OverlanderJK--I guess what I would like to know is:

Rock40, you do realize there are other threads than just this one right? I mean, you have only posted in this thread. Are you trying to be a part of something or just have people compliment you?

251 posts and all in this thread.

*Let's see what he says.* Honestly, OverlanderJK, I just joined this site to get the latest on DJ5s. 😋

Rock40

Tackled the passenger rocker and cab corner I’ve been putting off forever because I hate how awful it is trying to tie things into the existing cab

22A3B170-BB38-4AAD-90FE-D9B5F11C70AB.jpeg

87F8F68E-65BF-4290-8429-9EB192A3B506.jpeg

7983B7A6-D9B6-4848-86DF-D1719647D4D0.jpeg

665C99F0-7ADD-43AB-AF01-5856E849AE2D.jpeg

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Well...to be fair. I have only ever posted two posts, total, and all within 24 hours, so--OverlanderJK--I guess what I would like to know is:

Rock40, you do realize there are other threads than just this one right? I mean, you have only posted in this thread. Are you trying to be a part of something or just have people compliment you?

251 posts and all in this thread.

*Let's see what he says.* Honestly, OverlanderJK, I just joined this site to get the latest on DJ5s. 😋
If I wanted someone to stroke me off I wouldn’t join a Jeep forum with a bunch of dudes but whatever floats your boat.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Anyways…. Knocked out some biggish things today

PSC pump arrived, set up for hydro boost

View attachment 371809

Sourced a tool that makes it very easy to press the pulley onto the pump shaft, far better than smacking it on with a deadblow hammer

View attachment 371810

Installed. Goes FAST when you don’t have to fabricate pieces!

View attachment 371811
Lol I guess this proves my point. Since this is what you are after….

OMG! Your build is so amazing! You do such great work! I wish I was closer so I could suck you off.

Ghey!

Rock40

If this is how you pump a business, you suck at it.

Hey man, I don’t really know what to say. I don’t have a business tho, I’m just a guy who builds things in my shop. Sometimes for friends, and I don’t get paid.

Do I post on MUD also? Yep, I have a lot of friends there

Why does anyone post on a social platform? Take your pick I guess. For me sharing is fun, it keeps you motivated and I pick up ideas and get good suggestions from members. I may not post and comment all over but I’ve learned LOADS from watching the builds and skills of others

WesternCruiser

If this is how you pump a business, you suck at it.

View attachment 371821 View attachment 371822
Lol I guess this proves my point. Since this is what you are after….

OMG! Your build is so amazing! You do such great work! I wish I was closer so I could suck you off.

Ghey!
Oh, I actually thought you were joking around! You are mad we are posting a pretty complex build on here? Ross has a presence on Mud because he has two built Cruisers and a clean little mini truck. That's a Toyota-specific site, but he had a presence there, so we rolled with it. After a while we considered that maybe it was time to move on, to something a bit more Jeep-focused, and so we hopped over here because I think this is a great site and I appreciate what Eddie does. We aren't asking for anything, aside from a place to share some of what we are doing. We are polite, we (well, again, I just started posting today) try to provide details of the build in an interesting way, and Ross has no business...trust me. He just likes to work on stuff. Actually, you and/or Eddie should just PM me--I think I, at least, may have gotten off on the wrong foot.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Oh, I actually thought you were joking around! You are mad we are posting a pretty complex build on here? Ross has a presence on Mud because he has two built Cruisers and a clean little mini truck. That's a Toyota-specific site, but he had a presence there, so we rolled with it. After a while we considered that maybe it was time to move on, to something a bit more Jeep-focused, and so we hopped over here because I think this is a great site and I appreciate what Eddie does. We aren't asking for anything, aside from a place to share some of what we are doing. We are polite, we (well, again, I just started posting today) try to provide details of the build in an interesting way, and Ross has no business...trust me. He just likes to work on stuff. Actually, you and/or Eddie should just PM me--I think I, at least, may have gotten off on the wrong foot.
No you both are literally pumping your build and nothing more. Clearly you are just here to be a part of the community as you add a DJ as your avatar to try and troll. You’ll need to try harder than that.

WesternCruiser

No you both are literally pumping your build and nothing more. Clearly you are just here to be a part of the community as you add a DJ as your avatar to try and troll. You’ll need to try harder than that.
Man, I just got here today. I thought you were joking, genuinely, so I put the DJ up in good fun. I have 10 posts in 10 years on Mud, despite owning a Cruiser for two decades. I just like to see what people are doing. Now I think we are doing something interesting/of use, so we posted it up. I'm confused about what makes you so mad about it, frankly.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Man, I just got here today. I thought you were joking, genuinely, so I put the DJ up in good fun. I have 10 posts in 10 years on Mud, despite owning a Cruiser for two decades. I just like to see what people are doing. Now I think we are doing something interesting/of use, so we posted it up. I'm confused about what makes you so mad about it, frankly.
I’m not mad at all but it’s cute that you have to defend your buddy.

WesternCruiser

I’m not mad at all but it’s cute that you have to defend your buddy.
Yeah, he is my buddy.

This reminds me: I passed a guy on base once at Eielson, in Fairbanks. He was driving very slowly and the roads were bad with snow. I passed safely, in a passing lane, and went about my business--went to NAPA in North Pole. While I was in there he showed up, too, and said to me "geez, I guess you were in a big hurry to get here." It had been about 15 minutes since I passed him, and the legal/agreeable pass seemed like a non-issue, so it didn't register with me. After a second of seeing that he was displeased, I said "oh, you are from base? Yeah...I guess I was," in my typical decent humor. He was actually angry though, and told me that he was security forces and that I should "come and see him at his office sometime." We were off base at this point, so it was all just posturing. But I got it--he was mad that I passed him and was less confident in my driving than I was. So I tried to diffuse it, but he persisted. Eventually we both got excitable, raised our voices, and then left with harsh words spoken.

MONTHS later I found an old truck at the garbage dump down the road from my house. It had an SM465 and a NP203 in it so I went one night with a headlamp and a bunch of tools (it was legal to take, but it was winter and always dark...and cold). I got to pulling stuff and as I was doing it someone pulled in and got out of their vehicle, and asked what was going to happen with the rear axle--he stated that he wanted it. I said it was all his, and explained what I wanted off the old rig. So he went home, got some tools, and came back to join me. As soon as he hopped under the truck with me I recognized him immediately. I laughed and said "ha, I just knew we would get along!!" We pulled all the parts together, and helped load it into each others' trucks, out in the cold. I saw him multiple times on base, after that, and we always interacted very nicely--he asked about my projects, I about his, and it was good.

I say all that to say that you sound like a total prick, but I think we could get along.

Top Bottom