A BETTER BUDGET BOOST : Rancho 2" Sport JL Wrangler Rubicon Lift

TrailHunter

Hooked
Great info for the JL crowd :thumb:.... bummer about the Lean though.... I thought the whole idea with different spring lengths was to correct that. I guess a couple small spacers could fix it.

Tanktitan

Thanks Eddie for another well considered write up. I think you are touching on one of the most challenging areas for the aftermarket. FCA has done an admirable job of improving the ride quality of the JL. This ups the game for those seeking to supply performance upgrades. I suspect that the winners will be those that can retain (or improve) ride AND provide the off road performance the people on this site demand. Most people that spring for the price of a new Jeep will not look favorably on going backwards with something that has become quite important in automotive design.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
LOL!! Don't know who told you that. I've owned 4 JK's and can tell you that I hated the stock ride. In fact, I always laughed whenever someone told me their lift kit rode like stock...

Ditto. I was never impressed with the ride of a stock JK. The 2 door seemed a little better, but the 4 door was a bit harsh.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great info for the JL crowd :thumb:.... bummer about the Lean though.... I thought the whole idea with different spring lengths was to correct that. I guess a couple small spacers could fix it.

You know, maybe it's just our JL Wrangler. Maybe it was made funny, I dunno. Hoping things will settle out.

Thanks Eddie for another well considered write up. I think you are touching on one of the most challenging areas for the aftermarket. FCA has done an admirable job of improving the ride quality of the JL. This ups the game for those seeking to supply performance upgrades. I suspect that the winners will be those that can retain (or improve) ride AND provide the off road performance the people on this site demand. Most people that spring for the price of a new Jeep will not look favorably on going backwards with something that has become quite important in automotive design.

While I was definitely never that happy with coil spacers and factory shocks with extensions, I am quite happy with what this lift provides. For the price, it really can't be beat and in my opinion, it really is a better budget boost.

Ditto. I was never impressed with the ride of a stock JK. The 2 door seemed a little better, but the 4 door was a bit harsh.

Craziest things is, the X or Sport that I had rode worse than my Rubicons.

JAGS

Hooked
Mine leans too so you are not alone. Thanks for the great feedback on the lift. I keep taking notes!

jeeeep

Hooked
I keep looking and looking at the JL,...one day my looking is going to bite me in the ass and I'll be buying :doh:

nice to see reasonably priced lift options!

Does the lean go away with a full tank of gas?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Mine leans too so you are not alone. Thanks for the great feedback on the lift. I keep taking notes!

With all these aftermarket manufacturers making corner specific coils, I figured I wasn't alone. But again, not like the JK didn't lean - just to the passenger side :crazyeyes:

Does the lean go away with a full tank of gas?

Not on my JL. Just leans more if I put too much heavy stuff on the driver side.

jmercmon

So the manual talks about some "RS62118B RANCHO CONTROL ARM GEOMETRY CORRECTION BRACKETS" are recommended. What is your take on this?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So the manual talks about some "RS62118B RANCHO CONTROL ARM GEOMETRY CORRECTION BRACKETS" are recommended. What is your take on this?

After lifting your Jeep, you "may" find that your caster has changed enough to cause a flighty feel at highway speeds. I should note that most people do NOT feel it or at least, not enough at this height. The drop brackets will correct your suspension geometry and address this and for cheap. IF you play on the rocks at all, the drop bracket will be a rock target and that is the downside to them.

jmercmon

After lifting your Jeep, you "may" find that your caster has changed enough to cause a flighty feel at highway speeds. I should note that most people do NOT feel it or at least, not enough at this height. The drop brackets will correct your suspension geometry and address this and for cheap. IF you play on the rocks at all, the drop bracket will be a rock target and that is the downside to them.

Gotcha, So basically do not do them unless absolutely necessary.

deezus

Okay, so we know this new Rancho 2" Sport lift makes our JL Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited looks great sitting in our driveway but how does it perform? Well, here are a few shots that we took from the testing we did, out on the trail. :cool:

Please let me know if you have any questions. :cool:
Thanks Eddie. I went the same route as your first "Budget lift" and while the kit is quality made its too expensive for something that I'll basically toss when coilovers are available.
So, for now, I'll wait.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Gotcha, So basically do not do them unless absolutely necessary.

I wouldn't say "unless absolutely necessary". Again, if you don't wheel your Jeep (and there's nothing wrong with that), they're actually a pretty good solution.

Thanks Eddie. I went the same route as your first "Budget lift" and while the kit is quality made its too expensive for something that I'll basically toss when coilovers are available.
So, for now, I'll wait.

Depending on how long that wait is, I would totally spring for this Rancho lift being that it really is so cheap AND rides/handles surprisingly well. Also, this is something you could sell in the future and I would think, more easily than a budget boost.

deezus

Depending on how long that wait is, I would totally spring for this Rancho lift being that it really is so cheap AND rides/handles surprisingly well. Also, this is something you could sell in the future and I would think, more easily than a budget boost.

I agree but I've decided to not wheel until I'm ready the way I want to and I spend close to $600 for the budget boost I have now so.....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom