A coil spring question

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
Lemme run something by you guys.

Keep in mind, my rig is a 2 door Recon.

I’m kicking around a mild lift that wouldn’t require me replace my stock drive shafts and control arms until I’m ready to do a full suspension overhaul in four years or so. Feel free to kick me in the nuts and tell me I’m stoopid.

Here’s the pitch; I want to do a 2” lift, no more, and I don’t want a spacer lift. Problem is, coil springs generally come in 2.5 and up. However, Evo has a 2” front coil spring but oddly, no 2” rear, or even a 2.5... I get the whole rake thing, that’s probably why;right? Here’s where the question comes in; Synergy makes a 2” rear spring but no 2” front . . . Hmmmmm; right? So, can I use them together?

If so, what would be some other good upgrades under there that would compliment this?

Also, the best adjustable shocks without going crazy, Fox 2.0, King?

In the end, I definitely want the EVO enforcer 3” lift, but I think I’m going to have to wait a bit on that. This is an attempt to get me to 35s and have a capable off-roader with great highway temperament.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
Seeing as you have a 2dr Recon how much actual lift is required to fit 35's? The Recon comes with a small lift that already takes in to account steel bumpers front and back with trimmed pinch seems and trimmed sliders. With properly backspaced wheels is it necessary to go much higher to maintain full flex? I'm asking because I don't know and I'm curious.

jeep203

Seeing as you have a 2dr Recon how much actual lift is required to fit 35's? The Recon comes with a small lift that already takes in to account steel bumpers front and back with trimmed pinch seems and trimmed sliders. With properly backspaced wheels is it necessary to go much higher to maintain full flex? I'm asking because I don't know and I'm curious.

You are correct as far as I know, some guys do have 35s with no lift on a Recon. But only one guy wheels with it that I know of. I’m trying to hedge my bet a little here, maybe just 1” spacers are needed but if I’m going up I want to take advantage of the articulation...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Robertcrav

Ive seen several people mount the rear Ranchos with the knob on the axle side to protect it, makes adjustment a little more challenging but makes it near impossible to shear the knob off

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

fiend

Caught the Bug
I’m mistaken. Synergy does make a 2” spring lift called the starter lift. Any input on Synergy springs?

I’ve had 4.5” synergy springs on my JKU for maybe five years. Plenty of loaded wheeling, road trips, etc. No sagging and the ride seems nice to me. Id have no reservations about recommending them.

jonathanbottoms

I've had Rancho progressive springs, Evo, and Synergy all on my 2014 JKU this year, as well as RS9000XLs. Personally, wasn't a fan of the Rancho springs (very harsh road manners), but the shocks were petty nice. The knobs do feel a little cheap, but I didn't find myself adjusting them very often. Swapped them our for Fox reservoirs. I'm a big fan of both Evo & Synergy springs, with Synergy probably being slightly softer (at least for my application of 4.5"). Good luck ✊

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I've had Rancho progressive springs, Evo, and Synergy all on my 2014 JKU this year, as well as RS9000XLs. Personally, wasn't a fan of the Rancho springs (very harsh road manners), but the shocks were petty nice. The knobs do feel a little cheap, but I didn't find myself adjusting them very often. Swapped them our for Fox reservoirs. I'm a big fan of both Evo & Synergy springs, with Synergy probably being slightly softer (at least for my application of 4.5"). Good luck [emoji110]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

All of Rancho’s lifts are not progressive springs, to my knowledge, even though the 2” is. That’s probably the reason for the stiffer ride.

black pearl

Hooked
Ive seen several people mount the rear Ranchos with the knob on the axle side to protect it, makes adjustment a little more challenging but makes it near impossible to shear the knob off

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That makes complete sense. Good idea!

This is how I have mine mounted. I got them to where I like for road use and put a reference mark on the top of the knob. Then depending on what I'm doing pulling a trailer or wheeling.. I use I set of 6" channel locks to adjust up and down.

jeep203

Okay folks, this is what I think ima gonna do. Rancho RS9000s, 1” spacers front and back, some sort of heavy duty steering upgrade. Then in the fall, 35’s, new tire carrier, and 1 1/2” wheel spacers.

Anything you guys think I should add?

WJCO

Meme King
Okay folks, this is what I think ima gonna do. Rancho RS9000s, 1” spacers front and back, some sort of heavy duty steering upgrade. Then in the fall, 35’s, new tire carrier, and 1 1/2” wheel spacers.

You can use your factory tire carrier for a 35 if you isolate it correctly. This will save you money. Also, what do you mean my heavy duty steering upgrade?

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

I’d do 2” up front, and 1” in the rear, like a standard 1.5” leveling kit.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Fair enough. What is hydro assist steering?

A hydraulic ram, attached to your axle at one end and to the tie rod at the other end, assists your steering gear box to move the tie rod (and therefore the wheels) back and forth. Google PSC and West Texas Offroad for more info.

aTX427

You could also do 4-door 10A front springs, ditch the factory spring isolator and install a 1" poly isolators. I ran this configuration a couple of times. Mainly because I found take off springs cheap on CL.

Top Bottom