A JK Lost in Seoul Korea. Where should my CASH GO?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
ya that was my next choice the open countries but they just arent as aggressive looking as i wanted. They want 410 dollars shipped a piece for the 37 Toyos and 430 for the grapplers. I decided to go wit hthe grapplers. how many miles do you have on yours? mostly street?

lik

i have about 10,000 miles on mine. mostly street miles. go off roading once a month at least. tread wear is really good. i have about 75% left if i was to guess. i rotate all 5 every 3k miles just to help prolong there life

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
WOW, dreams shot down everywhere lol, ok, back to scratch haha. Im def lost now but that why I asked. Yes i was going to go with 35s due to most my driving will be done in city in tight traffic, this is not really a daily driver though, i have a bike for that but i still want to use it on beautiful days in the city and honestly prob wont use it much in the winter due to all the damn salt on the roads. Can you enlighten or recommend me a RAM assist? Thank you for your honesty and help.

LIK

LOL!! Not trying to shoot down any dreams, just putting things into perspective and based on my experiences. I have installed and run a lot of different lifts and if I lived in a place like South Korea, I personally would stick with 35's and a shorter lift if only because it'll still get the job done, require a lot less to get it done right and be a lot easier to drive. A ram assist is a hydraulic ram that replaces the steering stabilizer and "assists" in your ability to turn big tires. On pavement, running 37's is totally doable but it can get exhausting especially when doing things like pulling into small spaces or parallel parking.

Regarding shops and shipping, Northridge is located in Bremerton, WA - a Navy port and shipping is what they do best. Also, as mentioned, I might look into a lift that isn't so exotic especially being you won't even be able to use whatever you get. And tires, Mud Grapplers are badass tires and super loud - I love em :D

turbineguy

Something is telling me Northridge is a supporting sponsor here lol. Joking, its kewl heard all positive about them anyway, i just need someone there to take care of me, i want them to answer my emails in a timely manner and be able to hook me up on the pricing, remember shipping is a bitch here both pricing and hassle.

Im also married to a korean and have found a couple ways to bring the rig back to the states no problem so i will always have ties here, not worried about that, but yes bolt on is the ticket along with keeping all stock parts.

LIK

I am retired AF, but was never stationed in Korea. Worked there last fall, but I have little time for tourist stuff on jobs. I fully understand the hassle of getting things shipped overseas though (12 years in Europe)

I don't buy exclusively through Northridge, but they are more often than not the lowest price, and always give excellent customer service.

You can also check out CustomAutoParts on the AAFES mall website (military only website). The guy who runs it will often beat any price I throw at him, because of military relationship. You have to email him though, and not use his website prices.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Devallee

This has been the hardest decision basically because of my location, i dont mind the road noise, actually getting attention here in seoul traffic is crucial because people will stop and stare instead of tbone your jeep lol. The louder the better, i just want to make sure it doesnt cause my wife to go insane. I had the 37 trail grappler on order but they are out of stock and no due date. would you recommend another tire if you were to go buy another set right now? thank you, lik

I'm on my second set of Toyo M/T's and absolutely love em. The mud grapplers I have seen have worn pretty fast so might not be the best if you're on the road most of the time. It's an incredible offroad tire but I don't think I'd run them on my DD. Youd probably get many more miles out of either the Toyo mt or the trail grappler just my $.02

lostinkorea

i have about 10,000 miles on mine. mostly street miles. go off roading once a month at least. tread wear is really good. i have about 75% left if i was to guess. i rotate all 5 every 3k miles just to help prolong there life

So about 40,000 miles then on them, before replacing, thats what ive read from most, that have maintained them.

thanks for the info!

lik

lostinkorea

LOL!! Not trying to shoot down any dreams, just putting things into perspective and based on my experiences. I have installed and run a lot of different lifts and if I lived in a place like South Korea, I personally would stick with 35's and a shorter lift if only because it'll still get the job done, require a lot less to get it done right and be a lot easier to drive. A ram assist is a hydraulic ram that replaces the steering stabilizer and "assists" in your ability to turn big tires. On pavement, running 37's is totally doable but it can get exhausting especially when doing things like pulling into small spaces or parallel parking.

Regarding shops and shipping, Northridge is located in Bremerton, WA - a Navy port and shipping is what they do best. Also, as mentioned, I might look into a lift that isn't so exotic especially being you won't even be able to use whatever you get. And tires, Mud Grapplers are badass tires and super loud - I love em :D

Nope you shot it down, killed my dream, crushed bud lol. ya, i was already looking at my back up plan of a 2.5 lift on 35s. all as you said cheaper. Ok, great, you know the pain of korean parking lol. A RAM assist sounds right then, any particular brand, what would you recommend as a great 2.5 lift kit then?

thanks,
lik

lostinkorea

I am retired AF, but was never stationed in Korea. Worked there last fall, but I have little time for tourist stuff on jobs. I fully understand the hassle of getting things shipped overseas though (12 years in Europe)

I don't buy exclusively through Northridge, but they are more often than not the lowest price, and always give excellent customer service.

You can also check out CustomAutoParts on the AAFES mall website (military only website). The guy who runs it will often beat any price I throw at him, because of military relationship. You have to email him though, and not use his website prices.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thank you,
ill check into this, do you have a name or phone number possibly?

thanks,
lik

lostinkorea

I'm on my second set of Toyo M/T's and absolutely love em. The mud grapplers I have seen have worn pretty fast so might not be the best if you're on the road most of the time. It's an incredible offroad tire but I don't think I'd run them on my DD. Youd probably get many more miles out of either the Toyo mt or the trail grappler just my $.02

right, thats what ive read, nothing but positive on toyos, my brother runs them on his 350s with 50,000 miles on them. he is on his second set too. i just want them to look mean as hell.

lik

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Something is telling me Northridge is a supporting sponsor here lol. Joking, its kewl heard all positive about them anyway, i just need someone there to take care of me, i want them to answer my emails in a timely manner and be able to hook me up on the pricing, remember shipping is a bitch here both pricing and hassle.

Well, it is what I said in my very first post on this thread - they are a supporter of this forum and I don't just let any vendor on here.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nope you shot it down, killed my dream, crushed bud lol. ya, i was already looking at my back up plan of a 2.5 lift on 35s. all as you said cheaper. Ok, great, you know the pain of korean parking lol. A RAM assist sounds right then, any particular brand, what would you recommend as a great 2.5 lift kit then?

thanks,
lik

LOL!! Oh yeah, I've done a lot of traveling around the world and Korea is just one of the many places I've been. As far as rams go, I run a PSC but mainly because it was the only thing available for a long time. I know there are other options out there now but I don't have any personal experience running them. I have known one guy try to run a redneck ram and it didn't hold up to well for him.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Maybe I am the minority here but I would strongly suggest against the mud grappler and would push you more toward the trail grappler or the terra grappler if you don't wheel much. Only because of the price and the shipping charges. Trail and terra grapplers will get you a lot more miles and thus be a lot cheaper especially being that your in Korea. Having said that, I have mud grapplers and will likely purchase them again for my next set.

lostinkorea

Maybe I am the minority here but I would strongly suggest against the mud grappler and would push you more toward the trail grappler or the terra grappler if you don't wheel much. Only because of the price and the shipping charges. Trail and terra grapplers will get you a lot more miles and thus be a lot cheaper especially being that your in Korea. Having said that, I have mud grapplers and will likely purchase them again for my next set.

Hey brother, thanks for the help. Like i said early i had the trail grapplers on order and they backordered now, the terra grapplers are just not aggressive looking to me so they are not in the radar. the muds are the ones im looking at but may honestly move over to the toyos now that im looking at them.

thanks,

lik

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Hey brother, thanks for the help. Like i said early i had the trail grapplers on order and they backordered now, the terra grapplers are just not aggressive looking to me so they are not in the radar. the muds are the ones im looking at but may honestly move over to the toyos now that im looking at them.

thanks,

lik

Good luck getting toyos. They have been back ordered for 6+ months. Your better off waiting for the trail grapplers.

lostinkorea

LOL!! Oh yeah, I've done a lot of traveling around the world and Korea is just one of the many places I've been. As far as rams go, I run a PSC but mainly because it was the only thing available for a long time. I know there are other options out there now but I don't have any personal experience running them. I have known one guy try to run a redneck ram and it didn't hold up to well for him.

This is some bullcrap, you make these sweet videos and we all wanna build some badass jeeps and then you discourage me lol. Going to watch wild wild west again,:clap2:

thanks ill check into the latest and great ram assist and go that route, this is def what i need.

lik

brycepiedmont

We have a no modification law in south korea haha. Its interesting because the korean jeep guys modify their jeeps as well and keep all the stock parts, every 2 years they have an inspection here and have to put ALL the stock parts back on to pass the inspection, its crazy. Fortunately im a Military SOFA member here and we are not subject to the same inspection, I have a highly modified TJ and My JK now is modified as well with 33s that def stick past the stock flares. That being said when i get pulled over here, they look at my face see im foreigner and simply wave me by haha. No issues with that for me here, our vehicles arent subject to the same rules, its kind of a grey area.

As far going with Rebel, a few other jeepers here, military guys, pointed me their way and they have been really good to them, so thats the reason i went that direction and they are in california, i have to have a shop that is willing to deal, repack items if need be and pallet items for a military boat like for bumpers and things. Shipping is crucial so they have to be located in cali, i cant be spending shipping twice on bumpers and items to be shipped twice.

The parts are choose are mainly personal preference, FOX shocks are just sexy haha, and the other brands i just love the way they are, I can call them up and they actually engage my questions about my jeep, they have proven to be very procative and knowledgeable on my build and jeeps alone. Metal cloaks work is awesome and i need a modular bumper here, i have no where to weld here and i dont want to rely on the shops that are about an hour and half away to do that stuff for me, so the modular is a must. I have a hybrid modular from rough country on my TJ but to call RC and get some technical advice and someone that knows about jeeps our products is not common, they have proven to not be helpful at all on things of that nature. Ive shopped around alot, i choose most of the items listed my self, the MC lift was chosen because a couple friends here have the same one and have offered to help me install it for some beers hehe. Thank you very much for the help, ill head over to northridge right now.

lik

I'm looking to PCS to Korea sometime next year, how the inspection for Soldiers vehicle work. have small lift and 35's they stick out past the fenders and other than that its stock. I'm in Hawaii now and the inspections are ruthless here. I'm riding dirty right now because I'm not bolting plastic to my fenders just to pass. I'm just worried about the initial inspection.

Top Bottom