A Micro-Jeep in the Works - Would you do it?

stweasel

No fucking way... Want a mini jeep? By a range rover evoque or however you spell cute little yuppie thing..... Want a dd with great gas mileage and the potential to end up as road kill? Buy a smart car.....
That's not a jeep nor should it ever be........ Fiat is killing us

No CAFE is Killing us Current rules for the Corporate Average Fuel Economy, or CAFE, program mandate an average of about 29 miles per gallon, with gradual increases to 35.5 m.p.g. by 2016. So we need these mini cars so we can keep our Wranglers

The good news is Jeep will hire up to 1,000 for part-time work Regular employees need a break.. http://www.toledoblade.com/Automoti...hire-up-to-1-000-for-part-time-work-Copy.html

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I don't mind it. Looks a little better then the renegade and that's only a cartoonish drawing as GCM2 put it. Could be pretty capable if built right.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
No fucking way... Want a mini jeep? By a range rover evoque or however you spell cute little yuppie thing..... Want a dd with great gas mileage and the potential to end up as road kill? Buy a smart car.....

That's not a jeep nor should it ever be........ Fiat is killing us

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

Never drove an old flat fender?

StrizzyChris

This is brand dilution at it's best. Instead of building for the target market where the vehicles are expected to go off road, they are trying to take the Jeep name into the everyday-everybody market.

While I don't disagree with you that its brand and traditional style dilution, it a business and businesses are in existence to turn a profit! Nature of the game is to evolve or collapse.

Armydog

Ok, Jeep-Fiat this IS what you should build.......

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1395281253.474967.jpg

Chrysler Press Release

Jeep Nukizer 715

The Jeep Nukizer 715 is an all-purpose truck that pays homage to the beloved
military-only Kaiser M-715 truck. With a military-issue Jeep J8 four-door, the
Mopar team converted the vehicle into a pickup body style by adding an aftermarket
AEV Brute pickup box built for a TJ. To increase the size of the vehicle, the
wheelbase is stretched to 124 inches from 116 inches. Enforcing the brand’s iconic
M-715 is a new front clip produced in carbon fiber that re-creates the characteristic
forward slant of the M-715 truck. To top it off, Bestop provided a unique soft top
which artfully captures all of the quirks of the original.

Drivetrain upgrades include beefy Dynatrac Pro-Rock Dana 44 front and Dana 60
rear axles filled with 5:38 gears and ARB Airlocker differentials. Power is
distributed by an Atlas II transfer case spinning custom driveshafts from Tom
Woods. To keep the military look, tires are 38-inch BF Goodrich Mud Terrains
mounted on Hutchinson beadlock wheels.

The powerplant remains a J8-specific 2.8-liter turbo diesel I-4 that has been treated
to a re-programmed controller for more boost. Fuel is supplied from a custom
Gen-Right tank made specifically for this vehicle and mounts to the rear cross member.

For body protection, Mopar added Jeep Wrangler rock rails and off-road bumpers.
Other features include a Warn 9.5XP low-profile winch equipped with a Master Pull
synthetic winch line, Warn air compressor, Terraflex dual-rate front sway bar and
Garmin GPS Map 640 navigation unit.

Vehicle information:
Engine: 2.8-liter turbo diesel I-4
Transmission: four-speed automatic
Overall height: 75.2 inches
Overall width: 78.6 inches
Wheelbase: 124 inches
Weight: 4,500 pounds
Tires: 38 x 14.50-R17 BF Goodrich KM2

You want to make a Suzuki samurai wanna-be to appeal to the mall crawl soccer mom demographic? I get it. If it sells it helps the whole brand, BUT how bout we stay true to the course and make some trail rated trucks for those of us who love Jeeps for being Jeeps.....

Hare to say it, but Range Rover still makes the Defender 90 do they not? The Evoque is a yuppie clown car, but the Defender lives on....... Seems like a good business model off the legendary Jeep.

Armydog

What about the Rescue concept truck...... ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1395281650.257941.jpg

Holy crap, do I need to come down there and help you guys or what?????

GCM 2

Ok, Jeep-Fiat this IS what you should build.......

View attachment 74577

You want to make a Suzuki samurai wanna-be to appeal to the mall crawl soccer mom demographic? I get it. If it sells it helps the whole brand, BUT how bout we stay true to the course and make some trail rated trucks for those of us who love Jeeps for being Jeeps.....

Hare to say it, but Range Rover still makes the Defender 90 do they not? The Evoque is a yuppie clown car, but the Defender lives on....... Seems like a good business model off the legendary Jeep.

The Nukizer was a concept vehicle and did exactly what concept vehicles are supposed to do- stir the soul for the one thing you really think you want. It succeeded for most people. I have seen the Nukizer in person, sat in it, crawled under it, completely looked it over intimately and still want to own one, but that's just me and I'm kind of an extremist. The Nukizer is as spartan as you can get. I run half doors year round, I have no tailgate, and run no rear window on my Trektop NX......but guess what, I live in Arizona where it's sunny 382 days out of the year. That's right, so much sunny weather some days count for two of your connecticut days. If jeep built the Nukizer, a few thousand people may buy one, but in reality those numbers are nowhere near the figures needed to justify retooling an entire assembly line to build a truck with a canvas top. I say again; CANVAS TOP. That is completely impractical in every sense. How many of you east coast, mid-west, and northern guys actually even run a soft top???? Hell, there are even threads on every jeep forum every year for the one sunny day in February where one guy back east is brave enough to take his freedom panels off in 49 degree weather with partly sunny skies and celebrates this like christmas morning. :cheesy:

Had jeep not answered the call for the mainstream request for a civilized jeep by producing the soccer mom JK, the YJ could very well have been the end of the legacy. I'm still surprised that jeeps to this day even come with removable doors and windshields that fold down. If jeeps only came with softops, the numbers being sold would be significantly less. Despite what any "hardcore" jeep enthusiast thinks is the direction the next jeep should take as far as design, Fiat/Chrysler will continue to make vehicles to turn a profit and will design a vehicle to maximize their chance at of profit margins.

Land Rover no longer makes the Defender, or at least it is coming to an end soon. The Evoque sells pretty good in Europe compared to here, but that's due to the size of streets and parking spaces.

The mini-jeep is not replacement, at least not that I can gather, but more of "in addition to" what we already like. Options are always good, we have had some really bad ones lately with the Compass and Liberty, but not all darts land in the bullseye and fortunately the JK did.

Armydog

The Nukizer was a concept vehicle and did exactly what concept vehicles are supposed to do- stir the soul for the one thing you really think you want. It succeeded for most people. I have seen the Nukizer in person, sat in it, crawled under it, completely looked it over intimately and still want to own one, but that's just me and I'm kind of an extremist. The Nukizer is as spartan as you can get. I run half doors year round, I have no tailgate, and run no rear window on my Trektop NX......but guess what, I live in Arizona where it's sunny 382 days out of the year. That's right, so much sunny weather some days count for two of your connecticut days. If jeep built the Nukizer, a few thousand people may buy one, but in reality those numbers are nowhere near the figures needed to justify retooling an entire assembly line to build a truck with a canvas top. I say again; CANVAS TOP. That is completely impractical in every sense. How many of you east coast, mid-west, and northern guys actually even run a soft top???? Hell, there are even threads on every jeep forum every year for the one sunny day in February where one guy back east is brave enough to take his freedom panels off in 49 degree weather with partly sunny skies and celebrates this like christmas morning. :cheesy:

Had jeep not answered the call for the mainstream request for a civilized jeep by producing the soccer mom JK, the YJ could very well have been the end of the legacy. I'm still surprised that jeeps to this day even come with removable doors and windshields that fold down. If jeeps only came with softops, the numbers being sold would be significantly less. Despite what any "hardcore" jeep enthusiast thinks is the direction the next jeep should take as far as design, Fiat/Chrysler will continue to make vehicles to turn a profit and will design a vehicle to maximize their chance at of profit margins.

Land Rover no longer makes the Defender, or at least it is coming to an end soon. The Evoque sells pretty good in Europe compared to here, but that's due to the size of streets and parking spaces.

The mini-jeep is not replacement, at least not that I can gather, but more of "in addition to" what we already like. Options are always good, we have had some really bad ones lately with the Compass and Liberty, but not all darts land in the bullseye and fortunately the JK did.

While I fully agree with your "voice of reason" and know that your arguments are indeed valid. I still say- BUILD IT!!!! Support the brand with the mainstream vehicles for the masses but support the dream by throwing us a bone once in a while. And my hard top is in storage and the soft top is only on until the rain stops.... But then I have ridden the bike in December. That's just me. If it would help the numbers, I'll buy two!!

GCM 2

While I fully agree with your "voice of reason" and know that your arguments are indeed valid. I still say- BUILD IT!!!! Support the brand with the mainstream vehicles for the masses but support the dream by throwing us a bone once in a while. And my hard top is in storage and the soft top is only on until the rain stops.... But then I have ridden the bike in December. That's just me. If it would help the numbers, I'll buy two!!

Ok, Armydog wants two and I will take one. That's two people who will buy a Nukizer, that accounts for three vehicles, the line starts here people. :rock:

I still would take a mini-jeep too!

Top Bottom