A new eruption just started here in Hawaii

jesse3638

Hooked
Do you run outside in an earthquake so nothing collapses on you or maybe you don’t have time?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Haha got to love people who aren't familiar with earthquakes. Sorry no offense. It reminds me of my old roommate from Maine. We had a small earthquake in the middle of the night which didn't even wake me up. He comes flying into my room yelling for me to get up and into a door way. I just told him to go back to sleep...haha.

There are precautions one can take but I've never done them. Usually get away from anything that can fall on you and ride it out.

JKbrick

Haha got to love people who aren't familiar with earthquakes. Sorry no offense. It reminds me of my old roommate from Maine. We had a small earthquake in the middle of the night which didn't even wake me up. He comes flying into my room yelling for me to get up and into a door way. I just told him to go back to sleep...haha.

There are precautions one can take but I've never done them. Usually get away from anything that can fall on you and ride it out.

Reminds me of a lady we did a job for years ago, said she was scared to death to live here because of tornadoes and a lack of time to prepare for them. She was from somewhere they don’t have tornadoes apparently!

jesse3638

Hooked
Reminds me of a lady we did a job for years ago, said she was scared to death to live here because of tornadoes and a lack of time to prepare for them. She was from somewhere they don’t have tornadoes apparently!

I feel the same way about them. I was going to say that..haha. The thought of a tornado in the middle of the night freaks me out...haha.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Yeah it’s definitely something to be expected for people who live here, although nothing has been this active in a very long time. I know the news only reported the 6.9, but we’ve been getting quakes for weeks in the 2-4 range and very shallow. Here’s a screen shot of the quake map and a link if anyone wants to track them live. Red is within the past 2 hours, yellow is within 2 days, white is 2 weeks.

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observatories/hvo/hvo_earthquakes.html

IMG_5881.jpg

The active eruption point now is in the far right section of this map. All the red on the left could be indicating another eruption in or around the summit.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
My wife and I were talking about this earlier. Was it the pu'u'o vent that collapsed?
We hiked out to that vent a couple years ago.

Puuoo collapsed several times over the past couple of days along with large collapses in halemaumau. As of today, there is virtually no visible lava in puuoo. It seems to be flowing past it and coming out down rift in Leilani estates.

Brute

Hooked
I have spent several days on someone's boat on several different occasions awaiting a tsunami that never came...we took the boats out of Koko Marina to insure they didn't get sunk at the docks...

But I have also almost put my foot into flowing lava many years ago hiking out to the flow into the ocean at sunset not realizing that I was walking on fresh lava that had cooled and skimmed over...as it got darker, we could see we had wandered into a new section of lava and could see the molten stuff through the cracks we were standing on...it was a serious chicken skin moment.

As we walked out with lights, we had found an older couple that was lost and badly dehydrated...we gave them water and had them hike out with us...they only had one light between them, and the batteries burned out...I think they would have been in rough shape if they spent the night on the lava...not only is it hot, the sulphur dioxide can overwhelm you...

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
I have spent several days on someone's boat on several different occasions awaiting a tsunami that never came...we took the boats out of Koko Marina to insure they didn't get sunk at the docks...

But I have also almost put my foot into flowing lava many years ago hiking out to the flow into the ocean at sunset not realizing that I was walking on fresh lava that had cooled and skimmed over...as it got darker, we could see we had wandered into a new section of lava and could see the molten stuff through the cracks we were standing on...it was a serious chicken skin moment.

As we walked out with lights, we had found an older couple that was lost and badly dehydrated...we gave them water and had them hike out with us...they only had one light between them, and the batteries burned out...I think they would have been in rough shape if they spent the night on the lava...not only is it hot, the sulphur dioxide can overwhelm you...

When I was helping on guided lava tours over the past year or so, you wouldn’t believe the amount of people out there on their own trying to find the lava. If you don’t start before sunrise, you may never find it due to the lack of orientation. You simply can’t see where it is in daylight. Granted, some of these people are experienced hikers but most of them are just uninformed tourists and begin the hike with only a couple bottles of water. It’s very worrisome and I’m honestly surprised more people haven’t died out there but I also can’t blame them. If I had to fly thousands of miles to see it I would go too. Guided tours are somewhat expensive but we will get you out.

However, the days of guided tours are over since there is no lava coming out of puuoo anymore. ALL of it is dumping out in Leilani estates, and as of last night is very fluid and flowing rapidly. At sunset last night it claimed 5 homes. Today that number grew to over 21.

Brute

Hooked
I was hoping the lava flowing would be subsiding by now...unfortunately it appears to be picking up steam...Pele must really be pissed...

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
I was hoping the lava flowing would be subsiding by now...unfortunately it appears to be picking up steam...Pele must really be pissed...

Yup. It’s interesting though.... the rift zone is miles and miles long, yet it opened up right in the middle of the neighborhood. Not up rift or down rift from it.... right smack in the middle of it.

Top Bottom