A new eruption just started here in Hawaii

jesse3638

Hooked
Yup. It’s interesting though.... the rift zone is miles and miles long, yet it opened up right in the middle of the neighborhood. Not up rift or down rift from it.... right smack in the middle of it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

It's crazy looking at pictures and videos of it. None of it look real, like it's out of a movie.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Been out in the desert without a whole lot of cell service and just started seeing images of this yesterday. Holy cow!!

Please keep safe out there.

Brute

Hooked
Yup. It’s interesting though.... the rift zone is miles and miles long, yet it opened up right in the middle of the neighborhood. Not up rift or down rift from it.... right smack in the middle of it.

Unfortunately if you live anywhere where there may be the possibility of lava like in Volcano,Kalapana or the other side near Pahala or Punaluu...your home won't be insured for loss by lava...

jesse3638

Hooked
Unfortunately if you live anywhere where there may be the possibility of lava like in Volcano,Kalapana or the other side near Pahala or Punaluu...your home won't be insured for loss by lava...

I heard you could insure it but the price was absolutely ridiculous that most don't get it. Could be fake news..haha. Similar to earthquake insurance here in So-Cal. The cost for an earthquake rider is 2-3x the cost of my entire policy. At the time I looked at it my annual policy was just over $800 a year and the earthquake policy was an additional $1800. Sure it could save me some money when the "BIG ONE" hits but I'll role the dice..haha.

Brute

Hooked
Big Islands residents are bracing for an eruption as the lava lake at the summit has dropped significantly towards the water table & boulders and debris have fallen into the crater...seismic activity has ramped up significantly in the last few hours....something is about to happen

SDG

Caught the Bug
Big Islands residents are bracing for an eruption as the lava lake at the summit has dropped significantly towards the water table & boulders and debris have fallen into the crater...seismic activity has ramped up significantly in the last few hours....something is about to happen
Yowzer, hope everyone is staying safe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

-AINOKEA-

Hooked

Yeah we are all just waiting for this thing to happen. It really sucks not knowing when though. The real bummer is that my dads house (and the house I grew up in) is only about 2 miles from the summit caldera. He already promised everyone that he will not be leaving no matter what happens. Stubborn ass.

We just had another big rock collapse in the caldera about 45 minutes ago.... she’s just building up her ammo for when she blows the top I guess.

Brute

Hooked
Yeah we are all just waiting for this thing to happen. It really sucks not knowing when though. The real bummer is that my dads house (and the house I grew up in) is only about 2 miles from the summit caldera. He already promised everyone that he will not be leaving no matter what happens. Stubborn ass.

We just had another big rock collapse in the caldera about 45 minutes ago.... she’s just building up her ammo for when she blows the top I guess.

I'm hoping Pele will just ease her way through this...I hope your dad stays safe...

Tanktitan

As Jeep people, I suspect most of us are attuned to at least some aspects of geology, in that we enjoy the challenges of driving over much of nature’s most radical handiwork. What is happening on Big Island is some of the most radical forces on earth, both awesome and terrorizing. Imagine a 300 yard long crack in the earth, in your neighborhood, and molten lava spewing 400 feet into the air! Imagine the threat of the earth just blowing up. One of the threats avoided this week was 60,000 gallons of pentane stored in the path of the lava. My company provided the equipment to move it to safer ground this week. We are with you OP. Be safe.

jesse3638

Hooked
As Jeep people, I suspect most of us are attuned to at least some aspects of geology, in that we enjoy the challenges of driving over much of nature’s most radical handiwork. What is happening on Big Island is some of the most radical forces on earth, both awesome and terrorizing. Imagine a 300 yard long crack in the earth, in your neighborhood, and molten lava spewing 400 feet into the air! Imagine the threat of the earth just blowing up. One of the threats avoided this week was 60,000 gallons of pentane stored in the path of the lava. My company provided the equipment to move it to safer ground this week. We are with you OP. Be safe.

Yeah heard they moved a flammable geothermal liquid. Didn't know what it was.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
. My company provided the equipment to move it to safer ground this week. We are with you OP. Be safe.

Thanks! I’m clear of the fault/lava path but not so much if the Magma hits the water table. We won’t necessarily be dealing with the explosion or projectiles but we will definitely be dealing with the ash fallout which is a massive PITA.

It just blows my mind that they built that geothermal plant on a known fault zone and never had the means to transport the hazmat this entire time. If that thing ignited there would probably be a massive crater right there that would’ve taken out a lot of homes. They’re very lucky that didn’t happen. We definitely appreciate you guys provided the needed equipment to take that stuff out of there. [emoji482]

PatyWagon

Thinking of all of you in the pathways of the eruption, will be watching, and hoping the current rumblings releases enough pressure to prevent any extreme explosions.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Brute

Hooked
Thanks! I’m clear of the fault/lava path but not so much if the Magma hits the water table. We won’t necessarily be dealing with the explosion or projectiles but we will definitely be dealing with the ash fallout which is a massive PITA.

It just blows my mind that they built that geothermal plant on a known fault zone and never had the means to transport the hazmat this entire time. If that thing ignited there would probably be a massive crater right there that would’ve taken out a lot of homes. They’re very lucky that didn’t happen. We definitely appreciate you guys provided the needed equipment to take that stuff out of there. [emoji482]

I'm not surprised at all...after living in the islands for 41 years, nothing surprises me here. We are still paying for a rail system that is several BILLION dollars over budget that goes nowhere...

jesse3638

Hooked
I'm not surprised at all...after living in the islands for 41 years, nothing surprises me here. We are still paying for a rail system that is several BILLION dollars over budget that goes nowhere...

Ahh....so the project manager for the bullet train in CA is Hawaiian...:crazyeyes:

Top Bottom