A new eruption just started here in Hawaii

jesse3638

Hooked
Sure they’ll help with the “ash” stuff but there will always be sulfur dioxide that’ll get through. Over the counter masks won’t guard against that.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Yeah I was thinking more about the particulate matter. You'll need a specific respirator for the gas. I always laugh when we have wild fires here and I see people on the news walking around with dust masks on because of the smell of smoke. It's not doing anything for you.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Howz the ash fall from the eruption this morning?

Not too bad at my house, but my dads house and vehicles are covered. Doesn’t help that’s it’s raining. There were also new eruptions at the fissures last night and we could hear the explosions from our house roughly 15-20 miles away. All pahoa schools are closed due to very high sulfur dioxide levels. Vog is so thick I could barely see my back yard this morning.

Edit: here is a link to usgs webcams if anyone wants to see it live. The top section is dedicated to the Halema’uma’u Crater.

https://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/cams/

Last edited:

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
It looks like the Puna Geothermal Ventures site is about to be overrun...

Yup. And just to add to the amazing management of that facility, they are still waiting for the caps to plug the wells... so they’ve been operating this facility without means to transport their hazmat AND without the ability to properly secure the wells. They literally did not have the means to perform their own emergency action plan. Now the flow is within 100 yards with “quenched” but un-capped wells... whatever that means. Good times.

Brute

Hooked
Yup. And just to add to the amazing management of that facility, they are still waiting for the caps to plug the wells... so they’ve been operating this facility without means to transport their hazmat AND without the ability to properly secure the wells. They literally did not have the means to perform their own emergency action plan. Now the flow is within 100 yards with “quenched” but un-capped wells... whatever that means. Good times.

They are a bunch of cheap ass idiots...they were hoping the flow would divert at the last minute so they could save the facility...those wells should have been capped weeks ago.

TheGrendel

i was in Kauai and Maui for a week and a half. There was a noticeable haze on Maui. i would have loved to have gone to the Big Island to see the eruption. but, the wife would never let that happen.

Ddays

Hooked
They are a bunch of cheap ass idiots...they were hoping the flow would divert at the last minute so they could save the facility...those wells should have been capped weeks ago.

Don't know much bout lava flows but wouldn't about 20 bigass bulldozers digging a bigass trench/berm A WEEK AGO, possibly have provided an alternate path for the lava so that it flowed away from the plant?? :thinking:

TheGrendel

Don't know much bout lava flows but wouldn't about 20 bigass bulldozers digging a bigass trench/berm A WEEK AGO, possibly have provided an alternate path for the lava so that it flowed away from the plant?? :thinking:

doubt you'd want to chance that with the fissures and stuff opening up. no telling what's happening just below the surface in some of these places.

Ddays

Hooked
doubt you'd want to chance that with the fissures and stuff opening up. no telling what's happening just below the surface in some of these places.

Yeah, I know nothing about the geography there but doing nothing until the last minute and not having items needed to perform your own emergency procedures is just crazy.

Brute

Hooked

Not a chance...a long time ago Army dive bombers tried diverting the flow...to no avail

Top Bottom