Adjustable ball joints JL

benatc1

Hooked
I am still on the fence about the FAD. I like that parts are not moving when not in 4x4. Should pro long life of internal components. Until I see a serious con I will keep it.

To eliminate FAD, you get one piece axle.
yea I hear ya on all that, but Won't replacing the shaft with an RCV shaft take away the ability of a split shaft to "disconnect" or are you just doing the drivers side RCV shaft?

Or I guess does the RCV shaft accommodate the FAD? Haven't looked at them

Change the axle I think [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Well true, That's one way to do it.. lol

Sent from my HD1905 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

CalSgt

Hooked
yea I hear ya on all that, but Won't replacing the shaft with an RCV shaft take away the ability of a split shaft to "disconnect" or are you just doing the drivers side RCV shaft?

Or I guess does the RCV shaft accommodate the FAD? Haven't looked at them

Well true, That's one way to do it.. lol

Sent from my HD1905 using WAYALIFE mobile app

RCV and Spicer both offer passenger side axles that are 1 piece to delete or 2 piece to retain the FAD.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have to say that in hindsight, I kinda miss the FAD. Sure, there have been a couple of epic breaks but they also came from epic crashes. Aside from them, I haven't seen or heard much more in terms of failures in the over 2 years since the JL came out. By this time on the JK, we'd seen quite a few front axle failures, bent C's and what have you. The biggest benefit I miss is that the FAD will allow you to run more caster even on a lifted JL or JT and vibration free even with a higher gear ratio.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I have to say that in hindsight, I kinda miss the FAD. Sure, there have been a couple of epic breaks but they also came from epic crashes. Aside from them, I haven't seen or heard much more in terms of failures in the over 2 years since the JL came out. By this time on the JK, we'd seen quite a few front axle failures, bent C's and what have you. The biggest benefit I miss is that the FAD will allow you to run more caster even on a lifted JL or JT and vibration free even with a higher gear ratio.

So, maybe they got that right?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
I received this picture from person who was out on trail with us. As usual pic doesn't do justice. Grade was much greater. Getting in and out of Jeep actually a struggle.

Ball joint failure.jpg

bmkrinne

Nothing failed with the aluminum spindle. It is the plastic ball joints Dana used. The upper ball joint pulled out of the steel axle knuckle.

I bet the hole ID in the axle C or ball joint OD was out of tolerance creating a loose fit.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Top Bottom