Adjustable Control Arm Options

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
"Better than nothing" running the stock shaft.
I disagree with not setting pinion angle with the stock shaft. Why wouldn't one want to make it last as long as possible ?

You do know that there is an rzeppa joint on BOTH ends of the factory drive shaft, right? You do know that setting your pinion angle so that it's in line with your drive shaft will ONLY address the joint at that end, right? In other words, you will still see a CV boot failure sooner than later only it will be at just the output shaft end. All I can do is share what I have personally seen in the last 8 years but, you're still free to disagree. :yup:

JayKay

Caught the Bug
As mentioned, adjustable front lowers will allow you to adjust your caster and this is helpful to address flighty handling after installing a lift. Rear uppers are ONLY needed IF you install an aftermarket u-joint style double cardan drive shaft. When you do that, it is REQUIRED to set your pinion angle in line with your drive shaft and the only way you can do that is with adjustable rear upper control arms.

Are uppers necessary on a 4 DOOR when installing a U-joint style rear shaft or would this only apply to a 2 door?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Are uppers necessary on a 4 DOOR when installing a U-joint style rear shaft or would this only apply to a 2 door?

Adjustable rear upper control arms are needed ANYTIME you install a u-joint style double cardan drive shaft REGARDLESS if it's a 2-door or 4-door. On a 4-door, there just isn't as great of a need for a u-joint style double cardan drive shaft. On a 2-door with 3" of lift or more, the short rear drive shaft will sit a steep enough angle that the CV boots will be in a constant state of pinch. This will cause them to fail prematurely and that's why you'll need a new after market shaft with it.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Adjustable rear upper control arms are needed ANYTIME you install a u-joint style double cardan drive shaft REGARDLESS if it's a 2-door or 4-door. On a 4-door, there just isn't as great of a need for a u-joint style double cardan drive shaft. On a 2-door with 3" of lift or more, the short rear drive shaft will sit a steep enough angle that the CV boots will be in a constant state of pinch. This will cause them to fail prematurely and that's why you'll need a new after market shaft with it.

Gotcha, just wasn't sure if the shaft length on the 4 door would be enough to make the shaft straight enough to keep from having vibrations. Although I understand that you want it as straight as possible.

Top Bottom