Advice Needed!

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
If you do buy it, and spend money on mods, make sure you save a little for repairs - because you'll have no warranty and who knows what'll happen.

Looking at what you get with that jeep shown and how you could go that direction with a New Rubi.

Sell your Hardtop - 1500.00
Sell your Tires Only - 800.00

Buy Trex Top NX - 750.00
Buy Budget Boost - 350.00
Buy Wheel Spacers - 200.00
Buy 5 35" Nittos - 1675.00
Trim Fenders - Free

675.00 out of pocket

(all ball park of course)

Now you are rolling with a New Rubicon - Then after wheeling while you save you will know what you really Want / Need.

Good Luck with what ever you decide. BTW Stock Rubi's wheel just fine!

RubiHB

I'm new and I just bought my 2015 JKUR a month ago. Within a week I had it down at an off road park in KY with two experienced friends just going along for the ride giving me advice and lessons. I couldn't believe what the thing was able to do stock when it was all locked up and had the swaybar disconnected. Could it do more faster and better? Sure, but that trip totally slowed my role for a mad rush to get a pile of aftermarket goodies in and on it. Now over a short time, instead of instantly, I can go out, learn how to actually use the thing the right way, figure out just exactly what I need vs want, and most importantly not end up looking like a fool with more money then sense= $100K in Jeep and a nickles worth of know how.

You can do like me and go new, get your jack and recovery gear ordered, play around while deciding on some sweet sliders keeping in mind they will fit with the new lift, tires, rims, and bumpers you are getting settled on and saving for. I was weary at first about it, but I'm glad I did.

JLSilerJK

welcome. I'm a first time jeep buyer. I was looking at New/used this summer. I bought the used. As someone stated before (and it truly hurts to say out loud) mine is an ebay special. So many issues are showing up now I would of saved money buying new. Here is the kicker. When something breaks it is a puzzle to figure out what the previous owner has done to the Jeep. Knowing now I would of waited. Dont settle dude. If you can afford to wait or to get new it is going to be less of a gamble.

That said got it back last night from 2 days @ the stealership and I love this thing!

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
welcome. I'm a first time jeep buyer. I was looking at New/used this summer. I bought the used. As someone stated before (and it truly hurts to say out loud) mine is an ebay special. So many issues are showing up now I would of saved money buying new. Here is the kicker. When something breaks it is a puzzle to figure out what the previous owner has done to the Jeep. Knowing now I would of waited. Dont settle dude. If you can afford to wait or to get new it is going to be less of a gamble.

That said got it back last night from 2 days @ the stealership and I love this thing!

Thank you for being honest and helpful. Posts like your are always appreciated, not the typical "This is what I did, it's the best so do what I did." Also, for the record, there isn't a problem with ebay specials (other than critical components) if you are not paying for it. If a jeep has an ebay bumper, but you are not paying a premium for it, it's all good. The problem is when a dealer adds $3000 worth of ebay crap on the rig, and then tries to get 10K out of it (and they often do.)

I purchased a 2nd Jeep from a "friend" and have had nothing buy trouble! I thought the price was amazing... and it was if I hadn't had to (literally) redo everything. I kick myself everyday for not just getting a new one for my lady :yup:

This is looking more and more fishy to me...

OP joined three (that I know of) forums to post this exact same question but hasn't returned to any of them (at least to comment). :thinking:

Almost JKU-ing

OP joined three (that I know of) forums to post this exact same question but hasn't returned to any of them (at least to comment). :thinking:

I joined 3 to try and et as much input as I could get! Nothing fishy I swear haha. Im at work and can't reply at the moment. I'm on lunch break and reading through some things. Thanks for all the input guys I'll reply more after work!

catahoula

Caught the Bug

Damn! Are you a forum stalker? He apparently has more of a life than some of us.

I would definately say, and im sure others agree,...a huge part of the wayalife is the pride and enjoyment from building YOUR jeep the way YOU want it. Not to mention the fact that youwill know where that vehicle has been and how it was treated.

Damn! Are you a forum stalker? He apparently has more of a life than some of us.

Lol! More of a life than me today for sure :) I spend most of my time here, but was directed to the other two by PM. Happened to look at what was new and this was at the top of them. Struck me as odd...

Almost JKU-ing

I am going to say one thing, and you can take it as you see fit...

Wranglers have MONSTROUS residual value. That means they are excellent for owners, terrible for buyers. In 2011, I purchased a 2012 fully loaded sahara for $34000. After 2 years and 23000 miles of mostly fun, I decided I wanted all the bells and whistles, and decided to get a 2014 Rubicon, and wanted to trade in the 2012. The dealer gave me $32000....that's a $2000 loss after 2 years and 23000 miles.

What you can take away from that is simple....unlike most cars, where the original owner takes the first big hit and then everyone wins, with the wrangler the new owner actually gets the best value (especially if they negotiate it down to 1-3% below invoice.) Not only that, but you get an unmolested, full factory warranty shiny new no scratches no farts in the seats rig.

If you can afford it, get a new one.

For your specific example, i definitely wouldn't do it. I wouldn't want the 3.8. Don't mean to start any flamewars but that's just me. That lift is also worthless and adds zero value (to me it detracts value, and if I had to buy it, I'd rather get back the stock suspension.) The "custom lighting" is a crock. There is nothing on this jeep that would warrant a price bump for quality aftermarket parts, like a quality bumper, an atlas transfer case, a dynatrac axle, etc. It's an ebay special jeep.

Wow thanks for your input, I knew the resale value of Wranglers was high but not that high!

The deal I have going with the dealer is $33,400 for a white 2015 JKUR with a soft top. Does this sound like a good price to you guys?

Also, if the resale value is so good, is it even worth it to look for a 2012 rather than just getting a 2014 or '15? Know what I mean? :thinking:

Almost JKU-ing

Looking at what you get with that jeep shown and how you could go that direction with a New Rubi.

Sell your Hardtop - 1500.00
Sell your Tires Only - 800.00

Buy Trex Top NX - 750.00
Buy Budget Boost - 350.00
Buy Wheel Spacers - 200.00
Buy 5 35" Nittos - 1675.00
Trim Fenders - Free

675.00 out of pocket

(all ball park of course)

Now you are rolling with a New Rubicon - Then after wheeling while you save you will know what you really Want / Need.

Good Luck with what ever you decide. BTW Stock Rubi's wheel just fine!

Damn good points your're making! I'll definitely look into that some more. As far as a budget boost, is that gonna get me a couple inches higher up with stock ride quality? And are wheel spacers safe to wheel on? Assuming they're the bolt on ones of course. I've heard great things about the Rubicons stock wheelin' capabilities but I honestly just love the look of ones with money into them hahaha but I guess that's a given! Thanks for the ideas.
:D

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Damn good points your're making! I'll definitely look into that some more. As far as a budget boost, is that gonna get me a couple inches higher up with stock ride quality? And are wheel spacers safe to wheel on? Assuming they're the bolt on ones of course. I've heard great things about the Rubicons stock wheelin' capabilities but I honestly just love the look of ones with money into them hahaha but I guess that's a given! Thanks for the ideas.
:D

Yes a budget boost is literally just a hockey puck of sorts that will provide the lift but keep the stock ride quality.

For wheel spacers a good set like the 1.5" spydertrax will widen your stance but also allow you to run up to a 35/12.5" tire on the stock 17" wheels.

MarkW13

Yes a budget boost is literally just a hockey puck of sorts that will provide the lift but keep the stock ride quality.

For wheel spacers a good set like the 1.5" spydertrax will widen your stance but also allow you to run up to a 35/12.5" tire on the stock 17" wheels.

View attachment 113590

I just put a 2" spacer lift on today. Looks pretty good. It took about 5 hours to install.

Almost JKU-ing

Well then that's all the more reason to get the new one! Thanks a lot. I've heard a lot of good things about going to the 15'' wheel to save tire price/have more surface area when aired down. I thing I'll sell the stock rims too. Don't like the look of them very much anyways haha.

JAGS

Hooked
I think this is the way I'll go. With the down payment/tax/dmv fees I wont have much to spend on it right away haha. How is the ride? Still feel good? Thanks for the pic!

You won't loose anything from stock as it uses the stock shocks and coils. With the Rubi, you'll have better stock components to start with.

MarkW13

I think this is the way I'll go. With the down payment/tax/dmv fees I wont have much to spend on it right away haha. How is the ride? Still feel good? Thanks for the pic!

So far so good. Feels like stock. Just a little taller. Cost me $269 and a scraped elbow. I landed the wheels and tires from Craig's list. I'm about $1100 into the lift, wheels, and tires. I'm pretty stoked.

JKWrang

So far so good. Feels like stock. Just a little taller. Cost me $269 and a scraped elbow. I landed the wheels and tires from Craig's list. I'm about $1100 into the lift, wheels, and tires. I'm pretty stoked.

For comparison sake im at 2000 for a 2.5" coil lift, bilstein shocks, 35s and 5 Level 8 trackers.

You can find some really good deals if youre patient, make some good friends and keep your expectations realistic. Go with the 2015. Do it. You wont be sorry.

Top Bottom