AEV JK 3.5" Dual Sport Lift

SharkByte

I think there are a lot of things to consider when you want to life a jeep or anything for that matter.. Your wallet being top of the list...is it for looks,crawling,speed,center of gravity or just somewhere in between. For me,I was already having a low hung crawler built with big horse power. So I went with 4.5 AEV Dual sport RS,and it has be en a great middle ground for me. That being said,if I were only building one JK I would stick with EVO. They have put a ton of real world testing on there kits. I went with the AEV kit for simplicity and highway ride. I have beat on it pretty hard with no issues. If I could go back in time,I would lose my YJ and put my money in EVO Double Trow Down..I guess it ok to dream.....樂

You make some very good points! BTW I am learning that Jeep is a way of "Life" so I think you had it right the first time... Lol It is kind of funny... I am finding that as I drive around all the other Jeep owners are waiving at me. It is truly a Wayalife....;)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
AEV JK 3.5" Dual Sport Lift

I've noticed the stiff commits a few times and i kept trying to figure out why I was not going tru that. Than I remembered one the the reasons I went with the AEV kit that I did was so I could carry a bunch of weight and not sag in the rear. I have always had my jeep loaded full of camping gear,chainsaw,tools,dogs,& a bunch of other bs....It's carries the weight well. I guess that makes sense...

You don't know what a smooth ride is like when all you have to go off of is what you've chosen to run. But really, it's all relative and ride comfort is 100% subjective.

Moonraker

You don't know what a smooth ride is like when all you have to go off of is what you've chosen to run. But really, it's all relative and ride comfort is 100% subjective.

I agree, I would have gone another route if I wasn't building 2 jeeps. I was trying to make them different . I did get a chance to drive this in Moab, talking about soft... ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460180222.105125.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460180260.737621.jpg

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

As an AEV 2.5 owner (although I swapped out a lot of components, like shocks, etc), there is no debate and it isn't subjective :D ....AEV lifts are as comfortable offroad as carrying a grand piano up a spiral staircase. Having said that, it does actually perform very well ON pavement, but we are talking Jeeps here, and offroad performance is more important.

Samlautranger

As an AEV 2.5 owner (although I swapped out a lot of components, like shocks, etc), there is no debate and it isn't subjective :D ....AEV lifts are as comfortable offroad as carrying a grand piano up a spiral staircase. Having said that, it does actually perform very well ON pavement, but we are talking Jeeps here, and offroad performance is more important.

Well, that would depend. Most who own lifted Jeep are using them as their daily drivers so spending probably 90% of the time on the pavement, and 10% for weekend trail fun. Now if it is a secondary vehicle, primarily used for the trails/rock climbing that is a different story, or if having one for primarily a long off road expedition, that is a different story also. So depending on how you use your Jeep, makes the difference in what and how you build it and what lift kit/components to use.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Well, that would depend. Most who own lifted Jeep are using them as their daily drivers so spending probably 90% of the time on the pavement, and 10% for weekend trail fun. Now if it is a secondary vehicle, primarily used for the trails/rock climbing that is a different story, or if having one for primarily a long off road expedition, that is a different story also. So depending on how you use your Jeep, makes the difference in what and how you build it and what lift kit/components to use.

I live in NJ, not in Moab, so obviously most of my driving is ON road, however, I still built my jeep to be offroad capable not on road capable and offroad mods are the priority. My 35" tires are for offroad use, for on road use, street tires on 19" wheels would probably improve the jeep's performance and road manners, but like I said, that's not how we mod jeeps.

Samlautranger

I live in NJ, not in Moab, so obviously most of my driving is ON road, however, I still built my jeep to be offroad capable not on road capable and offroad mods are the priority. My 35" tires are for offroad use, for on road use, street tires on 19" wheels would probably improve the jeep's performance and road manners, but like I said, that's not how we mod jeeps.

But, you are taking it off road on serious weekend trips, correct? So you priority is to have a "Weekend Trail Vehicle" that then does secondary duty as your daily driver. If not doing serious off roading/rock crawling on the weekends, seems a waste to go for the extra expense. Of course, there is always the case, "well, just because" or "you never know" or "be prepared for anything". Has worked for me in the past to justify many of my expenses on many things. ;)

MTG

Caught the Bug
:cheesy: AEV owners always talk about "on road" performance. Sorry, but I highly doubt it performs any better than my lift on the road, AND I know I get much better performance off road. In fact, I know people who have owned both AEV and EVO and I assure you they are still running the EVO lift. Believe the marketing if you will, but just know that you overpaid for your lift and get subpar performance. :yup:

I don't own the AEV 3.5 rather the 2.5 on my 08. All I have to compare to is the original stock Sahara, then TF leveling kit. Happy with my AEV 2.5, I do find it very "euro firm" on the highway. Some days like others have said it does feel very stiff.

As I enjoy the 08 in her higher milage years I'm planning g my next JKU build. 35's is were I will land this time, and yes I looked at 3.5 AEV. However, doing my homework and really understanding syspension geometry and the choices.....my sense is EVO a enforcer 3" with the drag link flip,Rancho 9000 and a new front drive shaft at some point.

I'm done with the euro firm, liking the sound of plush coils and a Cadillac ride.

Sure hope the Jonny joints hold up to the crap salt and salt brine on the roads up here in the winter.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
But, you are taking it off road on serious weekend trips, correct? So you priority is to have a "Weekend Trail Vehicle" that then does secondary duty as your daily driver. If not doing serious off roading/rock crawling on the weekends, seems a waste to go for the extra expense. Of course, there is always the case, "well, just because" or "you never know" or "be prepared for anything". Has worked for me in the past to justify many of my expenses on many things. ;)

Nope, I don't wheel on weekends. I drive out west for 10 days or two weeks a year and have fun in Moab or something like that but otherwise, it's pavement only. There is no off-road driving on the east coast unless we're talking fire roads, and for those, I'd MUCH rather have a Grand Cherokee and "wheel" in sublime comfort.

SharkByte

I have a JKS system and I'm very happy with the ride. You're close by so feel free to get ahold of me and you can take mine for a spin to see if you like it. I've also heard a lot of great things about the Enforcer but have no personal experience with it. And I definitely agree on doing it yourself. Gonna have to learn to wrench in your own junk unless you're gonna bring along your mechanic on your runs.

Thanks Speedy!!! I may take you up on it!

Ozon8r

Two thumbs up for AEV

I find this forum one of the most credible and informative relate to all things jk. I would spend money based on the recommendations previously provided in this thread. That said, there is a heavy and what seems to be strongly negative bias against AEV here.

I have the very lift kit in question and love it. I installed myself even though not mechanically inclined. My jk is my daily driver. Living in Colorado, I do get to test the jeep at least monthly here and at least three times a year in Moab. I've successfully run Holy Cross in Colorado and Prichett in Moab, both pretty challenging trails (I did need to winch on Prichett) and both pushed me way outside my comfort zone wheelin. I beat the hell out of my jeep on weekends, wash it off, and drive it to work Monday morning. Knock on wood, no issues so far.

I wheel with jeeps sporting a variety of lifts including AEV and most of the AEV guys are pretty aggressive off-road and would echo my sentiments. Yes, I am biased in favor of AEV based solely on my experience so far three years in (no affiliation with AEV). Yep, it was expensive and there are cheaper lift kits available. But, I have no regrets and would do it again.

If you get a chance, test drive JKs with different lift kits and go with the one you like best, fits your budget, and provides the greatest utility for how you will drive the jk. Visit some local shops that modify jeeps and ask the techs what they run and why.

Best of luck whichever direction you go.

SharkByte

I find this forum one of the most credible and informative relate to all things jk. I would spend money based on the recommendations previously provided in this thread. That said, there is a heavy and what seems to be strongly negative bias against AEV here.

I have the very lift kit in question and love it. I installed myself even though not mechanically inclined. My jk is my daily driver. Living in Colorado, I do get to test the jeep at least monthly here and at least three times a year in Moab. I've successfully run Holy Cross in Colorado and Prichett in Moab, both pretty challenging trails (I did need to winch on Prichett) and both pushed me way outside my comfort zone wheelin. I beat the hell out of my jeep on weekends, wash it off, and drive it to work Monday morning. Knock on wood, no issues so far.

I wheel with jeeps sporting a variety of lifts including AEV and most of the AEV guys are pretty aggressive off-road and would echo my sentiments. Yes, I am biased in favor of AEV based solely on my experience so far three years in (no affiliation with AEV). Yep, it was expensive and there are cheaper lift kits available. But, I have no regrets and would do it again.

If you get a chance, test drive JKs with different lift kits and go with the one you like best, fits your budget, and provides the greatest utility for how you will drive the jk. Visit some local shops that modify jeeps and ask the techs what they run and why.

Thank you! This has been a very interesting thread for sure. All the folks have some very strong opinions which totally makes sense. If there was one lift kit out there that was obviously far and above all the others then everybody would have it on their Jeep. That is what makes it kind of fun... Creating your own unique set up on your Jeep. For me I am going to continue to learn as much as I can and wait before I do anything until I absolutely know what I want. Wayalife is great! Thank you all for your ideas and knowledge!

Speedy_RCW

Hooked

Yep, as mentioned plenty of times on here, ride is 100% subjective. Depending on who chimes in to the threads, you'll get different opinions. That's why they're just opinions. As suggested to the OP, see if you can test drive a few and see what you like.

Brute

Hooked

I agree with the AEV bias comment...is their stuff expensive?...yes...but I also think it's quality gear that's well engineered. A short arm AEV tuned suspension may not be for every trail situation, but aside from the stiff ride I've experienced when it was new, it actually works very well with how I've loaded my Brute down, and I've wheeled it in many different places both easy & difficult...and it has handled just fine...

I've owned quite a few 4x4 rigs over the last 35 years, starting with my first...a Land Rover Series 2 (now there's a stiff suspension)... and I have no regrets with buying my Brute...but having said that, I'm going in a completely different direction with my latest rig...

Top Bottom