AEV lift contradiction. Help?

JKWrang

the enforcer is a great kit. you will be very happy with it.

Dont you get paid to say that? :cheesy:

Just kidding. I wish i had that kinda money. Enforcer looks sick. Wanna donate to a worthy cause?? :cheesy:

PS - bl17z90 if you DO end up going to RC can I test drive your rig for a min to see how I like the AEV?

UpsideUp

I guess my thought was..up till now...I would be spending 95% of my time driving roads, 4% of my time on challenging off roads, and perhaps 1% on trails that make me pucker. When searching for this lift it seemed to me that AEV was desinged as a more "overland/expedition" style lift that would accommodate larger offroad tires and not sacrafice or improve onroad mannors.
Now I know from reading posts..the term overland is a much debated topic on its meaning as we all travel overland. But I'm using it loosely as a place less traveled on or offroad.

UpsideUp

Hey.and quick thought...will a pair of quick dicos help or hurt this type of lift? Like setting myself up for failure or improve my 1% of pucker trails?

OJK12

Hey.and quick thought...will a pair of quick dicos help or hurt this type of lift? Like setting myself up for failure or improve my 1% of pucker trails?

It will make a night and day difference on the trail!!! Just be sure you have that new shaft in before hand or your driveshaft and exhaust will make serious contact. It may take a lil bit to get used to but once you do you will disconnect every time you hit the trail!!

Alaskabound

I am seriously considering an AEV 4.5" lift. Their website does recommend new driveshafts, whether it be for an auto, manual and year considerations. But when their employee writes a response like the one above....it can only make me reconsider my choice.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I am seriously considering an AEV 4.5" lift. Their website does recommend new driveshafts, whether it be for an auto, manual and year considerations. But when their employee writes a response like the one above....it can only make me reconsider my choice.

Im going with a 2.5" myself, but without getting into any praise and bashing, you can't judge a company by the statement of employees. I have over 500 employees under me, and believe me, if you took what they said as bone, I'd be in trouble. ;)

bl17z90

Im going with a 2.5" myself, but without getting into any praise and bashing, you can't judge a company by the statement of employees. I have over 500 employees under me, and believe me, if you took what they said as bone, I'd be in trouble. ;)

Another issue with going eith the AEV suspension is they use progressive rate coils. While yes these will help to keep your Jeep from squatting when loaded up for a trip they also limit the amount of up travel. While this may not seem like a big issue it can be a little troublesom when it ends up pushing your Jeep up higher on a rock instead of just fully compressing.

Having said that, i have not personally had this issue with my setup at Rausch Creek so yeah take it for what its worth. It's pretty comfortable on and off road but I havn't had it doing 60 through any desert yet so i'm sure thats where it would show its flaws.

Mikes Offroad

I have been running the AEV 4.5" lift on my 2007 4dr for 2.5 years. The ride is great, completed a 11783 km road trip for the 2012 JKX with no complaints. The kit does what it supposed to for my type of wheeling. As stated earlier in this post it is an overlander type of suspension, it is not a rock crawling kit. If you look on there web site it states that numerous times. It also states that it was designed to be an improvement over the stock system. I do push the system more than it was intended for and paid the price by bending one of the drop brackets, I have since beefed it up and cannot see bending it in the future. AEV has since improved on the design with the Gen 2 series drop brackets. Is this kit for everyone, NO are there better kits out there hell yes but I think this kit would be great for the majority of the wheelers out there. AEV also states on their web site the yes the front drive shaft does need to be replaced on the 2012 model. :twocents:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! Come on guys, for those of you trying to defend what is stated on AEV's website, you know full well that up until recently - VERY RECENTLY, it DID NOT make any mention of front drive shafts needing to be replaced. This wasn't a simple mistake but rather, a move made to address what they didn't know. The same is true with their drop brackets needing to be reinforced. Guys like me used to point this out all the time and all the fanboys would come out and say how I was just a hater. Of course now, guess what they have? Reinforced drop brackets :shock: Before that, they used to sell front shock relocation studs that had zero reinforcement. Guys like me pointed out how they were a bad idea and again, the fanboys would declare that I had some kind of a beef with AEV and shouldn't be listened to. Of course, they no longer sell them - hmmmm. Before that, AEV used to sell their lift kits with cam bolts. And again, I used to explain why they were a bad idea to use, backed it up with proof and still, the fanboys would come out and say that I worked too closely with Full-Traction, TeraFlex, Currie (this is well before EVO made any products) and that AEV has former Jeep engineers working for them - they would never utilize a component unless it was prove to work well. Well, guess what my friends, they ended up ditching their cam bolts for drop brackets. In spite of what you all choose to believe, I simply cannot make this stuff up.

To be clear, I really like AEV and a lot of the products that they make - just not their lift kits. With the exception of their 2.5" kit which is actually pretty complete and priced fairly, all their other kits are WAY OVERPRICED for what little you really get - springs and a bunch of relocation brackets. If all you're looking for is an "overland" build and aren't concerned with using drop brackets, may I recommend the Rancho Sport kit. No, it may not have the fanboy base that AEV has but, it is a very similar kit, built much better and one that can be had for a fraction of the price.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
LOL!! Come on guys, for those of you trying to defend what is stated on AEV's website, you know full well that up until recently - VERY RECENTLY, it DID NOT make any mention of front drive shafts needing to be replaced. This wasn't a simple mistake but rather, a move made to address what they didn't know. The same is true with their drop brackets needing to be reinforced. Guys like me used to point this out all the time and all the fanboys would come out and say how I was just a hater. Of course now, guess what they have? Reinforced drop brackets :shock: Before that, they used to sell front shock relocation studs that had zero reinforcement. Guys like me pointed out how they were a bad idea and again, the fanboys would declare that I had some kind of a beef with AEV and shouldn't be listened to. Of course, they no longer sell them - hmmmm. Before that, AEV used to sell their lift kits with cam bolts. And again, I used to explain why they were a bad idea to use, backed it up with proof and still, the fanboys would come out and say that I worked too closely with Full-Traction, TeraFlex, Currie (this is well before EVO made any products) and that AEV has former Jeep engineers working for them - they would never utilize a component unless it was prove to work well. Well, guess what my friends, they ended up ditching their cam bolts for drop brackets. In spite of what you all choose to believe, I simply cannot make this stuff up.

To be clear, I really like AEV and a lot of the products that they make - just not their lift kits. With the exception of their 2.5" kit which is actually pretty complete and priced fairly, all their other kits are WAY OVERPRICED for what little you really get - springs and a bunch of relocation brackets. If all you're looking for is an "overland" build and aren't concerned with using drop brackets, may I recommend the Rancho Sport kit. No, it may not have the fanboy base that AEV has but, it is a very similar kit, built much better and one that can be had for a fraction of the price.

I'm a mod on one of the biggest car forums on the net, and am a member of AT LEAST 40 forums (from food to cars to bikes to photography to photoshop.) There are fanboys everywhere. You should see the Canon vs Nikon debates, it would make your head explode. Those on the hunt for GOOD information can usually cut through the bullsh!t and get what they need. When you said the Teraflex carrier is a bad design and it's prone to cracking, I listened. Im not a drone like MANY MANY people on ALL forums (including this one) that takes someone's word as law. You made a statement. I looked over the situation, and concluded that your statement is logical, and has merit. People saying Evo sucks, AEV sucks, WOL sucks whatever never get any real credibility because it's just babble with nothing to back it up. Guess what? A few months after your "haterade" on the Teraflex carrier, they themselves exchanged people's carriers for the new and improved gusseted version. That means not only do they recognize that it was a problem, you called it. You are always going to have people bash you for knocking something they bought, and they will get defensive. Human nature. People don't want to feel stupid when something they just spent a lot of money on turns out to be subpar, so they will blindly defend it to the death. Hell, hop on any BMW forum. Guys there have their cars sitting at the dealer getting a 3rd fuel pump, but still saying how they are the best things since sliced bread.

Moral of the story, do what you do. Those that seek good honest info will get it, and those looking to cement their blind loyalty to a brand get to tickle themselves with a troll fight. At the end of the day, you can sleep knowing you saved people money from making a bad purchase mistake, and possibly saved a life/lawsuit by not having a 37" Grappler fly off a carrier and go through the windshield of a minivan carrying 6 kids.

Top Bottom