Amber Rock Lights - Pics and Opinions?

Negative as I don't yet have a winch. Wait, is that what you meant???

Yes, Amber for rear dust lights. Not an issue. On that already. Also have some rear camp lights squared away now.

It's just rock lights I've not yet pulled the trigger on....and maybe winch lighting, depending on what that is. Lol

Closest thing to sample I've seen posted. So honestly though, how'd it look in person.

I like it. :yup:

JAGS

Hooked
Yup that's what I meant. Rock lights aren't going to get you over an obstacle or pull me out of a ditch lol.

10-4

It's on the list and I get what your saying. I do have recovery gear/ropes and such. An investment in the future will be a winch. Still have that link? 😉

David1tontj

Yup that's what I meant. Rock lights aren't going to get you over an obstacle or pull me out of a ditch lol.

A winch is good, but maybe rock lights keep you on the right line and prevent you from getting stuck in the first place? :thinking:

Besides- don't you have a nice American winch? 😁

ttfhell

A winch is good, but maybe rock lights keep you on the right line and prevent you from getting stuck in the first place? :thinking:

Besides- don't you have a nice American winch? 😁

They don't make lights good enough for that lol. Yup a brand new Warn 9.5 Cti. Now I'm waiting on a part from overseas (Guam I think) to fix the free spool action that didn't work the first time I needed it. Oh and the part was back ordered from Warn too. Three weeks to ship. I've passed on two trips because I thought I might need it.

David1tontj

They don't make lights good enough for that lol. Yup a brand new Warn 9.5 Cti. Now I'm waiting on a part from overseas (Guam I think) to fix the free spool action that didn't work the first time I needed it. Oh and the part was back ordered from Warn too. Three weeks to ship. I've passed on two trips because I thought I might need it.

I knew you were having problems with it- didn't know it was that big of a deal! Surprised they didn't just replace the whole winch! Maybe you could find a good deal on an engo to use while you wait for parts? 😁
If you're going with other guys that have winches you should be okay, no?

ttfhell

I knew you were having problems with it- didn't know it was that big of a deal! Surprised they didn't just replace the whole winch! Maybe you could find a good deal on an engo to use while you wait for parts? 😁
If you're going with other guys that have winches you should be okay, no?

Both trips were at Johnson Valley. Not much room to have someone turn around and straps aren't really ideal.

Havoc40

Don't have anything to say about amber rock lights. However, I use amber covers on my Rigids during the winter, so I could see where they might be helpful during those seasons. That said, I'll put in another +1 for LUX lights. They are kind of pricey, I just liked the simplicity and design. I was sort of hesitant with the magnets but after about 2k miles and a few trips through some mud...they still haven't moved!

I positioned mine on a hoist where it should end up after I install the lift...
20150502_210708.jpg

JohnnyD

Whatever helps you see better....whatever the color, who gives a shit...if you can see better and get your ass out of a jam..good to go

Now, rock lights have more uses than just the trail...one being work lights, if placed well they can provide a nice easy light for your undercarriage work...no cord tripping...I like the idea of the magnet type mentioned earlier ...leave a little slack move em where ya need em...hmmm

Now if looks are a consideration I don't think the ambers look bad at all.

Whatever you do, don't go with a cheaply made product. I went with 5 watt Amazon cheapies and already two of them have lost their lenses, bear in mind I'm not exactly easy on my rig either...

I just installed some Kc highlights under my hood for work lights and gotta say they seem very very well made, 20$ or so for 400 lumens...ip68 cert...not bad

I personally prefer a white light, I see better and that's the main concern for me

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

Thanks all for the feedback and that's why I posted up. My "thought" was they would still be bright enough to serve the purpose of seeing rocks and being able to work under the jeep if so needed. Some white LEDs have a blueish tint so thought amber might be an option to avoid that. As stated in first post, maybe there were reasons why you don't see it more. I'm not talking green, blue, red, etc as that's not what my goal was. Though was thinking amber, nothing's been purchased yet. Thanks again for the feedback, keep it coming. :thumb:

I think this was a good question to bring up. I haven't pulled the trigger either as its just not a high priority item for me just yet. I have heard that rock lights that are too bright can also defeat their purpose? Anyone that actually uses their rock lights on the trail have an opinion on that? I didn't even think of running amber ones. :hmm:

JAGS

Hooked

So this pic is with the LUX. Can you share how many you are using and the general locations of each light. Just to give an idea for light dispersant.

I think this was a good question to bring up. I haven't pulled the trigger either as its just not a high priority item for me just yet. I have heard that rock lights that are too bright can also defeat their purpose? Anyone that actually uses their rock lights on the trail have an opinion on that? I didn't even think of running amber ones. :hmm:

Not a high priority here either. But will be doing electrical and switches soon (2 years...LOL). So just figured I'd ask and put this out there.

ttfhell

So this pic is with the LUX. Can you share how many you are using and the general locations of each light. Just to give an idea for light dispersant.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1433874624.228214.jpg
Under front bumper. Under lever. Behind and in front of all four wheels.

Havoc40

Yup, this was taken with the LUX kit. I also had my rear Rigids on in this pic. I'm using 8. One in front, rear, and sides. One in each wheel well.

Like I mentioned, I positioned mine on a hoist with the Jeep raised. Most of the dark spots went away. I also didn't cut any wires and will finalize the install when I do get time to install the lift.

JAGS

Hooked
View attachment 148013
Under front bumper. Under lever. Behind and in front of all four wheels.

Thanks for posting up. I see you are using the winch light too. It's on the list of things as well.

Yup, this was taken with the LUX kit. I also had my rear Rigids on in this pic. I'm using 8. One in front, rear, and sides. One in each wheel well.

Like I mentioned, I positioned mine on a hoist with the Jeep raised. Most of the dark spots went away. I also didn't cut any wires and will finalize the install when I do get time to install the lift.

Thanks for the info. Taking in all he feedback.

My rock lights are UV... that way people's socks glow!!!!

What up G. You're hosting the next rave.

Last edited:
Top Bottom