American Sniper

Armydog

There is an inescapable intimacy when you take a life under any circumstance where you are face to face with your enemy. The intensity varies depending on just how close you are and the method you are forced to use, not to mention how near to death you perceive yourself to be.

Regardless of the degree of desensitization and muscle memory that training and experience may provide, if you are not a mentally or emotionally defected person it intimately affects you for the rest of your life.

I have an extreme respect for American warrior heroes who have stood in those darks places and prevailed. What they have done and endured they did for all of us and I for one am thankful.

For a relatively exhaustive discourse on the physiological processes involved in killing another I would recommend the book, "On Killing" by COL (ret) Grossman. It is a deep read but very enlightening. Bottom line, the men and woman who have had the strength and courage to do what must be done to survive and protect us DESERVE our respect. Every single one of them - except maybe the drone pilots hiding in a bunker somewhere....... Just kidding.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

Super T

There is an inescapable intimacy when you take a life under any circumstance where you are face to face with your enemy. The intensity varies depending on just how close you are and the method you are forced to use, not to mention how near to death you perceive yourself to be.

Regardless of the degree of desensitization and muscle memory that training and experience may provide, if you are not a mentally or emotionally defected person it intimately affects you for the rest of your life.

I have an extreme respect for American warrior heroes who have stood in those darks places and prevailed. What they have done and endured they did for all of us and I for one am thankful.

For a relatively exhaustive discourse on the physiological processes involved in killing another I would recommend the book, "On Killing" by COL (ret) Grossman. It is a deep read but very enlightening. Bottom line, the men and woman who have had the strength and courage to do what must be done to survive and protect us DESERVE our respect. Every single one of them - except maybe the drone pilots hiding in a bunker somewhere....... Just kidding.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

Well said, and the book "On Killing" really does open you to what the human body experiences before that moment...however or whoever it may be.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I too disagree…

I remember hearing this story about a soldier doing a patrol deep in the jungle. He came across a unknown village. Knowing he had to determine whether the village was friendly or not to protect his fellow soldiers he began clearing the village. While going hut to hut looking for the enemy, he entered a hut and found the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. This native, after seeing the American soldier did what any foreigner would do; she got a naked and threw herself at him. Of course like any good ol' american boy he happily obliged. In fact he fucked her so hard that he killed her. Now THAT is what I call intimate.

Once again the internet proves it's true ability in that it can turn anything into a useless pissing match. :crazy eyes:

Thanks for the link OP, I am looking forward to the movie. :thumb:

Last edited:

jmatta33

I too disagree…

I remember hearing this story about a soldier doing a patrol deep in the jungle. He came across a unknown village. Knowing he had to determine whether the village was friendly or not to protect his fellow soldiers he began clearing the village. While going hut to hut looking for the enemy, he entered a hut and found the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. This native, after seeing the American soldier did what any foreigner would do; she got a naked and threw herself at him. Of course like any good ol' american boy he happily obliged. In fact he fucked her so hard that he killed her. Now THAT is what I call intimate.

Once again the internet proves it's true ability in that it can turn anything into a useless pissing match. :crazy eyes:

no way dude! I know that guy and it was three women! and he pleasured them all simultaneously! think about it...

RLTW!!!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I too disagree…

Sucks for him. He probably got Ebola or something.

David1tontj

Not what I was "shooting" for -trying to start a pissing match.
I know that a sniper kill is very intimate, seeing the target up close and personal In the scope before squeezing the trigger. -I just think there are different levels of intimacy.

I look forward to this movie.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Sadly, it was a seven figure judgment even before fees and costs get added to the mix. Nothing like taking money from the widow and fatherless children of hero. Way to go Jesse...you should be proud. :grayno:

Not many options for a has been with the looks of a goblin that was set on fire.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I agree looks like a great movie.

FYI, I also recommend the books by Lt. Col. (Ret.) Dave Grossman, On Combat and On Killing, for a bulletproof mind.

You have to prepare mentally AND physically. :thumb:

pastorwug

I agree looks like a great movie.

FYI, I also recommend the books by Lt. Col. (Ret.) Dave Grossman, On Combat and On Killing, for a bulletproof mind.

You have to prepare mentally AND physically. :thumb:

I agree, I have read both books and spoken to him several times personally. Excellent books from a stellar guy.

As for Jesse Ventura - just a dull tool that wants to remain in a twisted limelight - no doubt he has burned plenty of bridges with the Seal Teams.
A hero, only in his own sick mind. :icon_crazy:

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Cant wait, I think that's gonna be a great movie. I enjoyed watching Chris Kyle on Stars Earn Stripes. He seemed like a very humble man.

Oregonjeeper

Well this thread went south pretty quickly. Smh😕

Yeah no kidding ... He was an amazing America ... And for the lawsuit .. I have nothing but respect for anybody knocking out a load mouth ex whatever he thinks he is... You don't have to agree with why they are there but you need to support the men and women putting their ass on the line... God bless Chris and his family!!! .. And yes I can't wait to watch the movie as well..

kyro

There is a special place in hell for low life's like Mr. Ventura. Fortunately the military community came together immediately following the final judgement and raised well over the $1.8m settlement. Taya Kyle and her kids won't have to pay him a dime and will be taken take of. God bless America.

thats great to hear
we did not hear much about it here
but that movie is going to be great..

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Watched an interview with him. He said something very interesting that most including me have no idea what goes on in another world and what you have to do. Would like to see this movie for sure.

pastorwug

Not a director but I do recall the vile things the "esteemed" Ron Paul said about him insinuating he deserved the be killed and using The Bible to do so.

WHAT? I'd really like some kind of reference on that. I'm not a Ron Paul fan but I'd be surprised if he used the Bible to insinuate that Chris should have been killed.

Jaydoc1

WHAT? I'd really like some kind of reference on that. I'm not a Ron Paul fan but I'd be surprised if he used the Bible to insinuate that Chris should have been killed.

Unfortunately I remember him saying this (or at least I remember the news reporting him "Tweeting" it):

“Chris Kyle’s death seems to confirm that ‘he who lives by the sword dies by the sword.’ Treating PTSD at a firing range doesn’t make sense.”

–Former Texas Congressman Ron Paul sends a controversial tweet on Kyle, a Navy SEAL and sniper who was allegedly shot and killed by a fellow veteran at a firing range on Feb. 2. Paul cited a verse from the Gospel of Matthew (26:52).

Here was his backtracking on his comment:

He wrote: "As a veteran, I certainly recognize that this weekend's violence and killing of Chris Kyle were a tragic and sad event. My condolences and prayers go out to Mr. Kyle’s family. Unconstitutional and unnecessary wars have endless unintended consequences. A policy of non-violence, as Christ preached, would have prevented this and similar tragedies. -REP"

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/02/06/ron-paul-clarifies-comments-on-death-navy-seal-member/

Although his quote IS from scripture, I don't think he actually intended it in that way. He probably just intended to use it as a well-known quote (probably most people don't even know that's from the Bible) that people would recognize that supported his position.

This doesn't make him saying it any less distasteful.

pastorwug

Unfortunately I remember him saying this (or at least I remember the news reporting him "Tweeting" it):

“Chris Kyle’s death seems to confirm that ‘he who lives by the sword dies by the sword.’ Treating PTSD at a firing range doesn’t make sense.”

–Former Texas Congressman Ron Paul sends a controversial tweet on Kyle, a Navy SEAL and sniper who was allegedly shot and killed by a fellow veteran at a firing range on Feb. 2. Paul cited a verse from the Gospel of Matthew (26:52).

He wrote: "As a veteran, I certainly recognize that this weekend's violence and killing of Chris Kyle were a tragic and sad event. My condolences and prayers go out to Mr. Kyle’s family. Unconstitutional and unnecessary wars have endless unintended consequences. A policy of non-violence, as Christ preached, would have prevented this and similar tragedies. -REP"

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/02/06/ron-paul-clarifies-comments-on-death-navy-seal-member/

Although his quote IS from scripture, I don't think he actually intended it in that way. He probably just intended to use it as a well-known quote (probably most people don't even know that's from the Bible) that people would recognize that supported his position.

In this case I completely agree, thanks for the background on this and reference. Not an appropriate comment or use of a Scripture.

GCM 2

Not a director but I do recall the vile things the "esteemed" Ron Paul said about him insinuating he deserved the be killed and using The Bible to do so.

Thanks for the background on that Ron Paul reference. Wow, that is not cool.

Top Bottom