any home brewers here?

trailraider

had my first batch of amber. VERY GOOD. drank 9 litres the first night . out in 2 weeks. have two batches brewing now .

one chocolate malt and a blueberry

Roscoj

I've got some blood orange wit, India pale weizen, and a multi grain red on tap.
I've also got second batch of "daughter of simcoe" my apa made with mosaic in secondary.

I have been brewing for a while. All grain and in 10 gal batches. Just started growing hops so I guess we'll see how that goes.

trailraider

so i am 5 types oF beer in now.

1ST - redwood ale - good
2nd - blueberry cervesa - not my fave but the wife likes it. almost like a wine.
3rd - Chocolate malt- this is an incredible beer.
4th - grapefruit wheat ale - best enjoyed with hot weather and a good burger
5th - honey brown. this is by far my fave beer. i had a buddy give my a pail of fresh honey from the farm, so i had to add alcohol.

6th? my wife wants to do a appricot

i only have one down side i can see with this so far, i get to drink alot of good beer for cheap!

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
Damn, I'm thirsty after reading this thread! I'd love to start but I know if I do so before I get my Jeep done I'll go friggin overboard on this wayolife too!!

WJCO

Meme King
My wife and I have done tons of batches. We slowed way down when we had the first kid though just because of how clean the environment has to be (meaning we had to wait until kids were in bed and not running around), it made a really late night for us with the brew process, we just got tired of it. We went crazy at first though. We purchased a couple secondary fermenters and about 100 bomber bottles so we had like 2-3 batches going at a time. We have done an aprioct, awesome, but our favorite is Peach. If you haven't already, check out Austin Home Brew. Tons of kits delivered to your door. They even had clone kits from 100s of beers that are already manufactured.

I never thought that 52 beers (approx 5 gallons) would disappear so quickly. We used our wine rack for the bomber bottles thinking it would always be full. WRONG! We were at a party a month ago and the guy that hosted it had one of our beers that we had given him like 3 years prior (he had stored it in his basement for 3 years). The flavor was amazing. So if you have the disipline, put a few away and forget about them (in a cool, dark place). You won't regret it.

Seeing this on the forum makes me want to get back into it, we still have all the stuff.

trailraider

Damn, I'm thirsty after reading this thread! I'd love to start but I know if I do so before I get my Jeep done I'll go friggin overboard on this wayolife too!!

its a great little hobby. my wife was hesitant at first with helping me as she doesnt really drink beer.

but now she gets excited when we start another beer, kids help but arnt as enthused as they dont get to drink it yet.

trailraider

I never thought that 52 beers (approx 5 gallons) would disappear so quickly. We used our wine rack for the bomber bottles thinking it would always be full. WRONG!

i thought the same thing. how can you go through 23 litres of beer so fast?

i may try to sway her to a peach beer then.

i am definately going to do another honey brown.

any suggestions for a good hoppy beer you've brewed?

Ddays

Hooked
I might have to try this after all. My wife loves the same hoppy IPA's I do and this sounds like a cool thing to do, especially losing daylight more and more. Something new to try. Nice thread, glad this one got started!

Do the home brew kits you see for sale at the local stores work ok or do you suggest any particular kit?

WJCO

Meme King
Do the home brew kits you see for sale at the local stores work ok or do you suggest any particular kit?

If you're referring to the "Mr Beer" kits, they are much smaller. I have a friend who did it and enjoys it, but if you're really going to start, go to a specialized home brew store and get a 5 gallon starter kit. If you like it, you will have better options to expand. To get started with bottles, the kit, and the beer ingredient kit, you're probably looking around 200-250 bucks. Then after that, it's about 50 bucks a batch and you'll have all of the tools already. Two upgrades if your starter kit doesn't have it that I would recommend is a 1) secondary carboy (makes your beer MUCH cleaner) and 2) an auto-siphon(makes transferring(racking) much faster).

Another awesome resource is a guy on youtube called Craigtube. He has a good series of starter videos in some of his older videos. His videos are a little long and sometimes hard to stay engaged with, but he provides great step by step instructions and explains the chemistry involved. I watched a lot of his videos before we even bought a kit.

WJCO

Meme King
We're considering getting rid of our homebrew stuff. Just don't have the time for it. Before we put it on Craigslist or something like that, if any local WAYALIFE members wanted to get in to this, we'd be happy to make a good deal on the kit. We have everything plus some. Let me know.

jesse3638

Hooked
We're considering getting rid of our homebrew stuff. Just don't have the time for it. Before we put it on Craigslist or something like that, if any local WAYALIFE members wanted to get in to this, we'd be happy to make a good deal on the kit. We have everything plus some. Let me know.
I prefer to just drink it. Don't have the time or patience to brew. Hopefully someone on here will be interested.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

trailraider

UPDATE

So after 5 years of now dabbling into the home brew hobby, I have now become an alcoholic (just kidding i don't admit to anything).

I have brewed 17 batches in total over the 5 years, doesn't sound like much but at 23 liters a batch, my liver can only handle so much.

I have now started to expand my little hobby into a much larger scale. moving from primary/ carboys up to conical style fermentor. and hoping to start kegging as now I currently bottle in growlers.

only had one batch that needed to be poured out, gluten free one, so no surprises there.

WJCO

Meme King
I have brewed 17 batches in total over the 5 years.

I have now started to expand my little hobby into a much larger scale. moving from primary/ carboys up to conical style fermentor. and hoping to start kegging as now I currently bottle in growlers.

Wow. That's awesome. Glad you're enjoying it.

Top Bottom