Any hunting jeepers out there?

BamBamDeer

I've thought of putting a tub in the back for deer/elk. Can you post up a pic of the tub you use in the back so I can see how it fits?

Here is one of the elk I took two years ago. Top 3 hunts of my life.

View attachment 188493

Hoping to use the Jeep extensively this coming season to get farther back than most guys and then hike in from there.

I will post you a pic next time I go to my Storage Unit. I don't think there is any way to get an Elk in there....or a very big deer for that matter.

Nice Elk! I have always wanted to go but never seem to have time. I am retired now though. ....so maybe I will!

Growing up we use to have quite a few Bob White Quail around. Over a period of years they seem to have disappeared. Last year I ran into several Covey while out hunting. That is something I have never tried with a Longbow....I have enough trouble with a Shotgun....lol.

GraniteCrystal

Did you pack out on foot?

Oh yeah. It's about 4 miles back into that spot. You gain about 3000 vertical feet. Luckily you're coming down with the heavy load, as is usually the case with elk. We got back to the truck around 9pm or so. Realized we lost a quarter of the Elk back on the trail and two of us went back up the mountain to get it. Luckily only about a quarter mile back. Still, going back to find raw meat on the ground in the dark in Grizzly country...glad I had my sidearm and bear spray just in case.

If you quartered the elk, you think it'd fit in your tub?

BamBamDeer

Oh yeah. It's about 4 miles back into that spot. You gain about 3000 vertical feet. Luckily you're coming down with the heavy load, as is usually the case with elk. We got back to the truck around 9pm or so. Realized we lost a quarter of the Elk back on the trail and two of us went back up the mountain to get it. Luckily only about a quarter mile back. Still, going back to find raw meat on the ground in the dark in Grizzly country...glad I had my sidearm and bear spray just in case.

I don't know...I would say probably not. With my Whitetails I have legs and head sticking up and I think the biggest I have put in there was about 120 lbs. I have used tarps in the past but it seems no matter how careful you are it will leak. Not an issue for me...but Wife....oh yeah! I have a Box Trailer but have never really had the need.

I have seen some racks for the back but I think there would bee too much Elk for those.

BamBamDeer

I am afraid the thin air would kill this Old Man trying to just pack myself out. I will say though. ...I wish I were contemplating the problem of packing my Elk out....lol.

The country is beautiful there . It seems to take me a week or so before I quit suckling air.

Is your Jeep a 2dr or 4dr?

GraniteCrystal

I don't know...I would say probably not. With my Whitetails I have legs and head sticking up and I think the biggest I have put in there was about 120 lbs. I have used tarps in the past but it seems no matter how careful you are it will leak. Not an issue for me...but Wife....oh yeah! I have a Box Trailer but have never really had the need.

I have seen some racks for the back but I think there would bee too much Elk for those.

I am afraid the thin air would kill this Old Man trying to just pack myself out. I will say though. ...I wish I were contemplating the problem of packing my Elk out....lol.

The country is beautiful there . It seems to take me a week or so before I quit suckling air.

Is your Jeep a 2dr or 4dr?

Yeah, going to have to figure the transportation part out. If all else fails, I can put probably two elk on my roof rack. Prefer to keep them inside out of the elements and a low center of gravity though.

Jeep is a 4 door Rubicon.

BamBamDeer

With a 4dr I think you could get one packed in back if it was quartered up. I helped a Buddy butcher one years ago. It was just quartered when we started. They drove it back straight through in back of a pickup. Roof Rack would work for that Gigantic Set of 6x6 Antlers!

The problem is keeping blood and hair out of your Jeep. Hair is tough to get out too. I am sure they have bigger containers than what I have. A trailer is not a real solution if the wheeling to get there is tough.

Like I said....I would LOVE to have your problem......

blackrubi14

Mainly just Waterfowl hunt anymore, here a few pics of late season hunts from this year.

4 man limit
IMG_2952.jpg

2 man limit
IMG_2970.jpg

5 man limit
IMG_3007.jpg

BamBamDeer

Young Squirrel and dumplings, or even just gravy is hard to beat.

Squirrel and Dumplings is my 10yo favorite meal.

I smoke some squirrels last fall. Wrapped them in bacon, seasoned with a little salt and pepper then basted with home made BBQ Sauce just before I took them off. I did a dozen so I would have leftovers. A couple of Buddies came over...no leftovers. I will smoke them again....it turned out good.

I had a couple of older ones last year and I made Jerky out of them. I marinated them in spices over night and put then in the dehydrater. It turned out good. ...just smaller pieces of jerky.

Petzl88

This was in September. The cooler was full of bear meat (6' 3" long and 55" around the belly) and hide.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455744026.621278.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455744048.569633.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455744073.405153.jpg

Petzl88

How does bear taste? Difference between black and grizzly?

I prefer beef. The best way to cook bear meat is as follows:

- Preheat oven to 400 deg F
- Season bear meat with salt and pepper
- Cut a 2x4 large enough to place the bear meat on
- Place meat on 2x4 and place in oven
- Cook bear meat for approximately 2 weeks
- Pull out meat and 2x4
- Throw away bear meat and eat the 2x4

GraniteCrystal

I prefer beef. The best way to cook bear meat is as follows:

- Preheat oven to 400 deg F
- Season bear meat with salt and pepper
- Cut a 2x4 large enough to place the bear meat on
- Place meat on 2x4 and place in oven
- Cook bear meat for approximately 2 weeks
- Pull out meat and 2x4
- Throw away bear meat and eat the 2x4

Ha. OK, noted. Thanks.

How about the other things that you experience while out on a hunt? Here are a couple I saved on my phone.

Desert tortoise
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455825546.782919.jpg .

Watch your step!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455825618.000744.jpg

Chuckwalla keeping cool in the brush.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455826065.886331.jpg .

When you realize you brought the wrong weapon by leaving your fly rod in the truck.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455825926.983760.jpg .

Top Bottom