Any hunting jeepers out there?

GraniteCrystal

How about the other things that you experience while out on a hunt? Here are a couple I saved on my phone.

Desert tortoise
View attachment 188700 .

Watch your step!
View attachment 188701

Chuckwalla keeping cool in the brush.
View attachment 188703 .

When you realize you brought the wrong weapon by leaving your fly rod in the truck.
View attachment 188702 .

Where are you hunting, man? Giant lizards, desert tortoises, rattle snakes. Not typical deer or elk country. You hunting something else?

WJCO

Meme King
How about the other things that you experience while out on a hunt? Here are a couple I saved on my phone.

Desert tortoise
View attachment 188700 .

Watch your step!
View attachment 188701

Chuckwalla keeping cool in the brush.
View attachment 188703 .

When you realize you brought the wrong weapon by leaving your fly rod in the truck.
View attachment 188702 .

Nice pics. I grew up in AZ. We used to catch iguanas and chuckwallas a lot. Fun times. Good memories.

GraniteCrystal

California high desert. Plenty of deer and elk in the desert believe it or not. Along with ram and upland game. I like bird hunting. Have never bagged an elk but would like too.

Interesting. Would not have thought.

Got any pics or thoughts on rams? Thinking of getting into that here in CO.

Elk hunting is awesome. Bagging one is great. They're special creatures for me though. Some critters I don't mind as much how they died (snakes, spiders, etc) but with elk, it's a clean, fast kill or no kill at all for me. I've gotten one bull elk. Took him down with the first shot but still needed a close up kill shot after that. Ripped my heart out hearing him cow call and be in pain for that minute or so.

All that to say, if you do elk, take your time, don't rush the shot, make it count.

Also, I now use a 300 Win Mag instead of a 270 Win so it's a cleaner kill.

jmac603

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455828255.716916.jpg

My 2014 buck that I got back from the taxidermist in November. Took almost a year to the day I dropped him off.

Elk hunting is awesome. Bagging one is great. They're special creatures for me though. Some critters I don't mind as much how they died (snakes, spiders, etc) but with elk, it's a clean, fast kill or no kill at all for me. I've gotten one bull elk. Took him down with the first shot but still needed a close up kill shot after that. Ripped my heart out hearing him cow call and be in pain for that minute or so.

All that to say, if you do elk, take your time, don't rush the shot, make it count.

Pic of the typical terrain.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455828857.465510.jpg .

One of these years I'll go on a elk hunt. I'll keep your advise in mind.

One more quail picture.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455829022.279924.jpg .

BamBamDeer

You have given me the bug for an Elk hunt. Now I will have your problem of how to transport it....lol

Do you have any suggestions as to area? I prefer thick cover because I like to use my Longbow. I know Whitetails but don't have a clue about Elk.

GraniteCrystal

You have given me the bug for an Elk hunt. Now I will have your problem of how to transport it....lol

Do you have any suggestions as to area? I prefer thick cover because I like to use my Longbow. I know Whitetails but don't have a clue about Elk.

Don't think there's much elk in OK. Are there? I lived in Dallas for a while and the only ones down there are inside fences. You thinking of going out of state?

BamBamDeer

There are some in certain areas but getting a tag is like winning the lottery.

I was planning on an out of State Hunt....maybe Co. Plenty of time to plan but probably need to get started.

GraniteCrystal

There are some in certain areas but getting a tag is like winning the lottery.

I was planning on an out of State Hunt....maybe Co. Plenty of time to plan but probably need to get started.

Get started planning and get started saving. Non-resident licenses can run around $1000. On top of that, if you have someone guide you, that'll probably be a few more grand. It's a big source of revenue for the western states.

Look into Wyoming, Montana, and Utah as well. I hear New Mexico also has some good elk. Decide if you are going to do guided or not. If not, then start looking at the herd numbers. They should publish statistics around how strong the herd is, how many bulls/cows were harvested in a certain region, etc. You'll want to do lots of homework.

When you need a break from that, work on your physical shape. These bad boys usually are over 6000' elevation, often times much higher. There's less oxygen up there, deeper snow to walk through, and you're likely packing them out on foot (again, unless you're guided and have horses). You need to be in good shape to have a good hunt.

And when you need a break from that, work on your marksmanship. I know a lot of guys aren't used to shooting past 100 yards, but that's going to limit you considerably out west. It's big country out here and you're much more likely to fill your tag if you can shoot 1MOA out to 300 yards when calm at the range. When you've been hiking, are breathing hard, have a huge bull in your scope and no good rest, with adrenaline pumping through you, that's going to widen out to 2-3MOA which will still keep you in the kill zone at 300 yards on a bull. Make it a clean shot.

Don't use anything smaller than a 30-06. If you don't have anything that big, look into a 30-06. That cartridge has killed more elk than any other on the planet. If you really want something big, go with a 300 Win Mag like I have. Fun fact: the 300 Win Mag has more kinetic energy at 1000 yards than a .44 Magnum pistol does point-blank. Yeah, it'll take down an elk.

BamBamDeer

I will probably use a Guide that specializes in bowhunting. I will be using a 70# Howard Hill Longbow. I know my chances are better with a rifle but I enjoy the Hunt more than the killing.

I jog a mile 3xs per week. I am diabetic but able to control it without medication for the time being. Last time I was in Colorado....Colorado Springs area...it seemed it took about a week to aclimate. Wherever I go my Wife and I will make it a vacation and I want to get there a while before the Hunt begins.

We talked it over last night and I think I am going to start planning. Anything you can think of or advice would be appreciated. If you are interested in a hunt let me know and we will meet up and Terrorize the Elk Population. ...lol.

Thanks

jmac603

That's a nice looking Deer

Thank you. I'm hoping I finally draw a NH moose tag soon. It's been a long wait for the lottery. A western elk hunt is on my bucket list as well. I wished I lived out there as o would buy an otc tag in CO or the like and go diy. Costs a small fortune for a guided hunt. I'll stick to whitetail hunting in the north woods of NH for now.

BamBamDeer

Thank you. I'm hoping I finally draw a NH moose tag soon. It's been a long wait for the lottery. A western elk hunt is on my bucket list as well. I wished I lived out there as o would buy an otc tag in CO or the like and go diy. Costs a small fortune for a guided hunt. I'll stick to whitetail hunting in the north woods of NH for now.

I enjoy the Whitetails. Moose would be awesome. I would like to diy on Elk but I don't know enough about them to do anything but make them harder to hunt...lol. If I use a Guide the first time then maybe I will know a little more about what I am doing.

I have enjoyed hunting all my life. For the last 10yrs it has been almost exclusively with a longbow. Excluding Dove and other game birds. I do well to hit them with a shotgun.

I am retired now and want to see things I haven't before. I finally have time to smell the roses and want to make sure I take my time.

I appreciate all the advice. It will help me get going in the direction I need to. Maybe squeeze a few Wheeling Trips in as well. Hunting and Wheeling is my Dream Vacation.

Spaste19

Any day out hunting with the Jeep is a good day. Used to do a lot of bird hunting. Duck and goose out in ND. Running the dogs at the game farm for pheasants. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455855972.031511.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455855996.021201.jpg
Now it's mostly deer hunting. Got some nice one's and some nice ones have got away ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455856074.343981.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455856092.778747.jpg
Always a good time with family and friends and the Jeep.

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

BamBamDeer

ScoobyCarolanNC

I started waterfowl hunting last year after years away from shooting. I'd love to get into upland too, but I moved to NC in 2013 & just don't know the who & the where to really get started. It's tough on your own. I got out a dozen times last season, but only once this year.

Top Bottom