Any interest in Google Earth and trails?

GraniteCrystal

Google Earth + TrailDamage.com is the only way I know. It is fairly tedious - downloading, organizing, etc.. but I tinker with it in spare time.

Here's the monster Alpine Loop on the right, Black Bear on the left-ish.

View attachment 211373

Next to Moab, Telluride is the jeepin holy land. :crazyeyes:

Yeah, I could tell that's what you've been doing. Looks like we had the same idea. I'm thinking of starting with that and then expanding it.

boardsurfer

There is this thing. If you havent kept up with Funtreks (they make those great guidebooks) they just released a few weeks ago a mobile app that appears to act a lot like what we have built in google earth. Very tempting.

Last edited:

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
I have used it before I go on a trip! Works awesome for me! So far! Have to say the navigation on my jeep has been pretty dead on with trails!

Petzl88

And traildamage has links on the trail pages that will open up the track in google earth.

I have the trail tracks on my Delorme explore app that I use.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe it's just a Nevada thing but out here, posting up trails on the internet is typically looked at as being bad form. It's hard enough to keep the douchebags away and ruining it for everyone. If you guys do something, I'd be grateful if you kept the exchange of information PRIVATE or at least, off of WAYALIFE.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Maybe it's just a Nevada thing but out here, posting up trails on the internet is typically looked at as being bad form. It's hard enough to keep the douchebags away and ruining it for everyone. If you guys do something, I'd be grateful if you kept the exchange of information PRIVATE or at least, off of WAYALIFE.

Valid point. Didn't think of that.

GraniteCrystal

Hmm. Interesting. So how do folks in Nevada hear about trails? Is it all word of mouth? No maps to follow?

Happy to take conversation offline. Just curious how Nevada does it.

I hadnt thought of that, but after you mentioned it, your absolutely right. We have alot of fun local trails in Ky and its nice that only local people know about them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm. Interesting. So how do folks in Nevada hear about trails? Is it all word of mouth? No maps to follow?

Happy to take conversation offline. Just curious how Nevada does it.

LOL!! I know it's a hard concept these days but out here, you have to meet people face to face - get to know them like we used to do prior to the internet and then as "friends", you show each other around. :cool:

GraniteCrystal

LOL!! I know it's a hard concept these days but out here, you have to meet people face to face - get to know them like we used to do prior to the internet and then as "friends", you show each other around. :cool:

These "face to face" meetings you speak of...they intrigue me...

Ok, sounds good Eddie. I think I'll work on making the tool if only for myself. Thanks for your perspective on it.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug

When I read this I really took pause and thought about what you were saying.. until....

I read this and it confirmed my thoughts as well.

Yes, let's meet people face to face and get to know each other prior to just letting any tom, dick and harry drive their vehicle onto a trail, thereby increasing the risk of damage and possible future trail closure.

Thank's Eddie for the perspective that many of us less experienced Jeepers did not have and certainly did not think of.

Once again, glad to be a part of this community. I am looking forward to more adventures in the future while sharing them with more experienced folks. Thank you.

WJCO

Meme King
Google Earth is a damn good tool, but I agree, not the same as being there. I use it more for backpacking than Jeeping. I do completely understand the reasoning behind keeping some of that info private. I only share my cool camping spots around here privately, lol, to keep away the yayhoos.

Last edited:

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Interesting thread. The motorcycling community I belong to is similar. We do not blindly share routes w/o getting to know the recipient first. Typically you only get the routes if you've formally signed up for an event; sent the week prior to event.

One of the reasons is liability. Unfortunately if you provide the route, you're viewed as having some responsibility...despite any signed waivers.

When wheeling, I've taken to leaving the in-dash unit for basic tracking and point to point nav. I use a Garmin 590LM with BaseCamp to do layouts. Can also download track history. Tracks can be used as routes later or as basis of creating new routes. As added bonus, the track can be output to G'Earth in full 3D as well as with elevation charts.

A.J.

Interesting thread. The motorcycling community I belong to is similar. We do not blindly share routes w/o getting to know the recipient first. Typically you only get the routes if you've formally signed up for an event; sent the week prior to event.

One of the reasons is liability. Unfortunately if you provide the route, you're viewed as having some responsibility...despite any signed waivers.

When wheeling, I've taken to leaving the in-dash unit for basic tracking and point to point nav. I use a Garmin 590LM with BaseCamp to do layouts. Can also download track history. Tracks can be used as routes later or as basis of creating new routes. As added bonus, the track can be output to G'Earth in full 3D as well as with elevation charts.

What really bugs me is when other trail users want to come along and close the trails that your group discovered and/or built to"save" them for themselves. This happens too often to the motorcycle community. Hikers and Mt. Bikers( no offense I do both ) get together to close trails that were made by motorcycles generations ago. Same shit happens to jeep trails. Even snow mobile trails. Total bull shit. Ok rant over. Just got me a little fired up.

Top Bottom