Any suggestions on a GoPro? Looking at Hero4 Session

el_chupo_

I have a Hero 3+ black, works great. I like the app on the phone, but it does run through batteries noticably faster. I too have the above mentioned Wasabi kit from Amazon, and keep one charging when using the gopro.

If you have an older computer, you may want to do some experimenting before you use it on a trip or anything - I have run into problems with some peoples computers trying to edit higher def recordings, and even playback directly from the memory card. You also may find that if you plan to youtube stuff for fun, 720p (or even lower) may work just fine, and will help with slow motion stuff due to the frame rate.

Make sure you get good, high speed memory cards as well. A lot of deals on the slower ones right now, but a good class 10 is not much more expensive.

As to the mounts, I have had really good luck with the suction cup, but when on the track (~100+ mph), I use the suction cup on the inside of the car. On the jeep I have had good luck with it on the outside windshield, but I havent gone above 45 or so with it on.

There are several companies that make mount kits with large assortments, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LUG2WOU

I havent had any parts fail in it, but I dont use most of them a ton.

I also have a frame mount kit (not the large clear plastic housing) for better audio, but in all honesty, I very rarely use em.

Oh, and in case no one mentioned it, the "mount" the go pro is on in the box can be saved, its a nice square platform mount for occasional use. I have used it on top of an RC truck to chase dogs around. 100% pointless, but entertaining.

I keep all of my stuff in a small pelican case, and I carry a small Anker battery pack and cables as well, just in case the batteries die or I need extended time without changing batteries, I can just plug in the larger battery pack. Bonus, it will charge the phone in an emergency too. Ill see if I can get pics of my case setup if needed.

Havoc40

How about mounts? You guys trust the suction cup type?

I've had good luck with the suction cup for low speed stuff. The key is placing it on a clean, smooth, and flat surface. I'll never trust it for high speed stuff again, after the seal compromised at the track with my Vette @ about 130. Ultimately costing me another $400 after it was ran over a few times :mad:

I typically use clamps or the sticky mounts. The biggest problem for me seem to be the plastic tabs that you put the tightening screw into. I've had quite a few of those break by the time you get it tight enough not to move. I now use some aluminum versions I bought off I think Amazon or Ebay.

broken_mount5.jpg

broken_mount1.jpg

catahoula

Caught the Bug
i have the Hero 4 Silver and i love it. the touch screen makes it super easy to navigate the menus and it take great quality pictures and videos. i also have a short video that i made with it showing some local spots, i can find it if needed![emoji16]

Would be awesome to see if not a problem. Post it up!

Chris99

The session is not as nice, but it is less expensive and is more compact. I bought a session as my first GoPro for a recent ski trip. It's great on a ski helmet, but that may not matter in a jeep. The battery issue some people mention is a non-issue to me. It's battery is like an iPhone, you can recharge it but you can't swap batteries. With a battery pack and a cable you can quickly recharge it, just like a phone. Here are what I consider the pros & cons.

Session pros:
Lower price
Small size
Doesn't need a case (waterproof out of the Box)
Good quality video

Session cons:
No large screen, so not as easy to use. Just a couple buttons and a small led readout.
No slow motion
Water proof depth is not as deep as a case, so if you're diving it may not be the right choice.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I have a Hero 3+ black, works great. I like the app on the phone, but it does run through batteries noticably faster. I too have the above mentioned Wasabi kit from Amazon, and keep one charging when using the gopro.

If you have an older computer, you may want to do some experimenting before you use it on a trip or anything - I have run into problems with some peoples computers trying to edit higher def recordings, and even playback directly from the memory card. You also may find that if you plan to youtube stuff for fun, 720p (or even lower) may work just fine, and will help with slow motion stuff due to the frame rate.

Make sure you get good, high speed memory cards as well. A lot of deals on the slower ones right now, but a good class 10 is not much more expensive.

As to the mounts, I have had really good luck with the suction cup, but when on the track (~100+ mph), I use the suction cup on the inside of the car. On the jeep I have had good luck with it on the outside windshield, but I havent gone above 45 or so with it on.

There are several companies that make mount kits with large assortments, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LUG2WOU

I havent had any parts fail in it, but I dont use most of them a ton.

I also have a frame mount kit (not the large clear plastic housing) for better audio, but in all honesty, I very rarely use em.

Oh, and in case no one mentioned it, the "mount" the go pro is on in the box can be saved, its a nice square platform mount for occasional use. I have used it on top of an RC truck to chase dogs around. 100% pointless, but entertaining.

I keep all of my stuff in a small pelican case, and I carry a small Anker battery pack and cables as well, just in case the batteries die or I need extended time without changing batteries, I can just plug in the larger battery pack. Bonus, it will charge the phone in an emergency too. Ill see if I can get pics of my case setup if needed.

Thanks for the link! LOL that would be entertaining with the dogs!

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I've had good luck with the suction cup for low speed stuff. The key is placing it on a clean, smooth, and flat surface. I'll never trust it for high speed stuff again, after the seal compromised at the track with my Vette @ about 130. Ultimately costing me another $400 after it was ran over a few times :mad:

I typically use clamps or the sticky mounts. The biggest problem for me seem to be the plastic tabs that you put the tightening screw into. I've had quite a few of those break by the time you get it tight enough not to move. I now use some aluminum versions I bought off I think Amazon or Ebay.

View attachment 191177

View attachment 191178

Ouch! That's too bad. Maybe if I use I'll attach a line or something just in case it fails.

8POUND

Just logged on. Just a heads up for anyone looking for a GoPro camera, Dick's Sporting Goods is having an online only flash sale on GoPro cameras. $100 off plus a grab bag of different mounts. I'm heading over to a store to compare the differences in person, then purchase online if I like the camera.

scull20

How about mounts? You guys trust the suction cup type?

I use the suction cup mount on the jeep. I've had it on the windshield, door and hood. On the door and hood I use a wire tether that loops to the camera and then back to either to door handle, hood latch or the center loop on the hood.

The suction mount had come off on me before and I was glad I had it tethered.

Havoc40

Ouch! That's too bad. Maybe if I use I'll attach a line or something just in case it fails.

It sucked lol...shit happens though. Funny thing is I thought about using a tether that day but, places to attach one are limited on this car. I now just use a sticky and remove it as needed. For Jeep stuff, I haven't had any issue using the suction mount.

As far as the OP's question, I love my Hero4 Black. I'd save the $100 and buy the silver if I did it again, though. Haven't had a chance to play with the Session. What has been said here is a pretty good summary of what reviews I have read. A buddy just bought a Sony Action Cam and I have to say, other than size, I think I might like it more than GoPro's.

ShinobiDave

I dig my Hero 3+. It seems to eat through batteries pretty quickly, but I have a couple spare batteries to swap out and it seems to last me for a day (not continuous use). I use the android app as well to control turning it on and off while driving.

Can't speak to how it compares to the session though.

I use the standard suction cup mount that comes from Gopro, though I recommend using a line to attach it to your vehicle. The same day I was offroading on the beach, someone drove up and was asking if we found a gopro because it fell off their jeep!

Attached a screenshot of video from the Hero 3+:

Screen Shot 2016-03-03 at 5.06.00 PM.jpg

hlax2525

Just logged on. Just a heads up for anyone looking for a GoPro camera, Dick's Sporting Goods is having an online only flash sale on GoPro cameras. $100 off plus a grab bag of different mounts. I'm heading over to a store to compare the differences in person, then purchase online if I like the camera.

I just bought a hero 4 silver from them this afternoon. Was a great deal considering I was only going to get 20% off from go pro as my 3+ black had a case failure and drowned while snorkeling.

8POUND

I just bought a hero 4 silver from them this afternoon. Was a great deal considering I was only going to get 20% off from go pro as my 3+ black had a case failure and drowned while snorkeling.

Nice. Glad you got the deal. I'm going with the same GoPro camera, the Hero4. I'm going to get a Ram mount, so I can mount it to my CMM handles. I'll post pics.

Top Bottom