Anyone replaced their ECM / PCM / ECU

jeeeep

Hooked
The new ECM came in today. I plugged it in after work to see if it was the fix. I plugged it in, reconnected the battery, reset the codes and......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e369MPE86SY&feature=youtu.be
NOPE! it didn't fix it. It started up after a minute of trying and you can hear the jeep running in the background. As I tried to push on the gas, nothing. You can see one of the lights on the dash is )z( in red. It has to do with the throttle...The engine would not rev. I turned it off and it wouldn't start again. It was throwing 13 codes.

By the way, I took the Yellow top battery back to the store and had them put a test load on it while I was waiting for the ECM. It failed! Yep, less than a year old and it failed. I traded it out for a Red Top. It was only $13.00. Down the road, I will for sure trade it out for an Odyssey.

The Jeep will not start now....nothing. It sounds like a starter is going out....

I winched it up on the trailer tonight. It's off to the dealership in the morning.:eek:

that sucks, hope it's not a costly fix.

I got a call from the dealer today. I headed down to get it tonight. They said my ECU needed flashed and it started right up. I reexplained that I had just replaced the ECU. They said they didn't actually reflash it, they just cleared the codes out and then re plugged in the ECU. I drove it 20 plus miles and no problem. Looks like it was the ECU after all. Im back in business. 1/2 hour labor was the bill.

jeeeep

Hooked
I got a call from the dealer today. I headed down to get it tonight. They said my ECU needed flashed and it started right up. I reexplained that I had just replaced the ECU. They said they didn't actually reflash it, they just cleared the codes out and then re plugged in the ECU. I drove it 20 plus miles and no problem. Looks like it was the ECU after all. Im back in business. 1/2 hour labor was the bill.

hey that's great! does your tuner still work with it?

hey that's great! does your tuner still work with it?

I plugged it in today. Wouldn't work. I think I could have had them reflash it but I'm running all MAC's except for one machine and it's down. I just shipped it back for $5.00 and they will reflash it for free. I should have it back in less than a week.

BDP849

I plugged it in today. Wouldn't work. I think I could have had them reflash it but I'm running all MAC's except for one machine and it's down. I just shipped it back for $5.00 and they will reflash it for free. I should have it back in less than a week.

Glad you got her up and running again. I was a bit worried for you.

jeeeep

Hooked

that's cool, much better than the $100 they normally charge!

I thought I would give a quick update...
I wheeled with the Jeep last weekend. Things had worked GREAT. Got to the end of the trail turning around to head back and started to have issues again. It went into limp mode and no matter what I did, it wouldn't rev or go faster than what at idle would take me. We got back to the trail head and since my Flashpaq was still with Superchips, one of the guys had a generic reader. Same codes came up again as originally and thank goodness he was able to clear them out. It started up and I was able to limp home (had to stop 8 times to restart as it kept going into limp, but after I turned the key off, it would restart and rev). It has been at the dealership since Monday morning. They have tracked everything and checked every ground. They think today they might have found it. I had the main fuse box replaced (by them for $1000) last January. Chrysler is telling them to check that and possibly replace it. I hope this help someone down the road:thumb::thumb::thumb:

bOLsAK3

Subscribed. I got my fingers crossed that they get this issue resolved quickly. This is the type of crap that drives me nuts, I don't envy you at all.

Subscribed. I got my fingers crossed that they get this issue resolved quickly. This is the type of crap that drives me nuts, I don't envy you at all.

Good thing it's not my DD. Chrysler hopefully will let them know tomorrow if they can warrantee a new fuse box. Don't want to pay another GRAND for a new one on top of the $500 ECM. Missing another run tomorrow with some friends is what is really pissing me off.

jeeeep

Hooked
I thought I would give a quick update...
I wheeled with the Jeep last weekend. Things had worked GREAT. Got to the end of the trail turning around to head back and started to have issues again. It went into limp mode and no matter what I did, it wouldn't rev or go faster than what at idle would take me. We got back to the trail head and since my Flashpaq was still with Superchips, one of the guys had a generic reader. Same codes came up again as originally and thank goodness he was able to clear them out. It started up and I was able to limp home (had to stop 8 times to restart as it kept going into limp, but after I turned the key off, it would restart and rev). It has been at the dealership since Monday morning. They have tracked everything and checked every ground. They think today they might have found it. I had the main fuse box replaced (by them for $1000) last January. Chrysler is telling them to check that and possibly replace it. I hope this help someone down the road:thumb::thumb::thumb:

damn, that's too bad. hope they solve it and if it is the fuse box, that they cover it under warranty.

I've mentioned before my power rear door locks quit working but I didn't want to spend the $1k to replace the fuse box over failure of a relay (on the bottom layer of the fuse box). I was told by the dealer the fuse boxes are also year/vin or model (I forget which) specific and I couldn't just go buy any box to install on it.

Thanks for the updates, it'll help me out if I start experiencing gremlins... I hope I don't!!

After a week of the jeep being at the dealer, they finally say" I need a new ECM". I just put one in!!!!! They won't go any farther in the diagnostic phase until the one I have is replaced. I guess the "new" one is saying my VIN's don't match now. I called the company I got if from and a new one is on the way. Let's see what this one does.....

jeeeep

Hooked
After a week of the jeep being at the dealer, they finally say" I need a new ECM". I just put one in!!!!! They won't go any farther in the diagnostic phase until the one I have is replaced. I guess the "new" one is saying my VIN's don't match now. I called the company I got if from and a new one is on the way. Let's see what this one does.....

damn! well, at least the company you got it from is getting you another.

The new ECM came in yesterday. I ran it down to the dealer. Installed this morning and after start up, no codes. Reader reads VIN correctly. I drove it a few miles after I picked it up without issues. Keeping my fingers crossed it was just another bad ECM. :banghead:

Pisstified!!!!! I think that about sums up how I feel about this whole thing!!!

I only drive the Jeep a few miles and dropped it off in a banks parking lot. I sold another car and was to meet the buyer there this afternoon and thought I'd drive the jeep home. Not 1/2 mile from the bank after the transaction, it cut out and went back into limp mode!!!

I made it back to the dealer and was furious. Now they are telling me it's a gas peddle????? WTH???? If it's not that it's some sensor in the transmission. I give up!!!

Top Bottom