Arb fridge/ freezer

xflstl

View attachment 213973
I stand corrected! I just need to build the platform now, so I can access the storage space below.!

By this picture, the 50qt fridge setting flat on the rear deck is taller than the sides of the jeep?
I ask due to the cargo type top I run.. As I want to make sure it will fit under it, without bulging it up...

Attachments

• 1469181796031.jpg
    1469181796031.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 244
Sub'd to this. I'm still searching for a deck that will fit for an ARB fridge as well. Tuffy sites too low and my trektop nx limits the amount of space I have in the rear to run most of the decks that sit higher than the top of the tailgate. Besides fabbing your own (which I may end up doing), does anyone know of any high-sitting cargo decks that would work with a trektop?

Jackal01

Sub'd to this. I'm still searching for a deck that will fit for an ARB fridge as well. Tuffy sites too low and my trektop nx limits the amount of space I have in the rear to run most of the decks that sit higher than the top of the tailgate. Besides fabbing your own (which I may end up doing), does anyone know of any high-sitting cargo decks that would work with a trektop?

I found this picture. This may work for those that want the smaller 37qt fridge. That is a Garvin rack. I think Ace makes a rack that sits up high. A google search will probably turn up results.

Attachments

• 5-Road-Race-Motorsports-Jeep-Wrangler-5-17-12.jpg
    5-Road-Race-Motorsports-Jeep-Wrangler-5-17-12.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 243
I found this picture. This may work for those that want the smaller 37qt fridge. That is a Garvin rack. I think Ace makes a rack that sits up high. A google search will probably turn up results.

Yea, I've looked around at a few different ones. Garvin, Ace and Synergy make some. But they won't work with trektop, just factory soft tops. Ace is the closest to fitting, but it sits literally 16" from the cargo floor to the bottom support bracket - ARB 37qt is 17" high. :doh:

zimm

Caught the Bug
I want one badly. Who's got the best deal on the 50qt? I'd want the cover for it. For ease of removal, I think I'll skip a slide for now and use a couple of cargo straps and the wire harness. I have a trailrocker, so I can tie into power to that.

swampdog

The evil empire is running a sale on the 50 with the cover for $888. I'm sure quadratec would price match

zimm

Caught the Bug
ok4wd (never used them before) has it for $877.95, free shipping, free cover and free remote monitor for this month only. I might pull the trigger before the month's out. I wish I had it now for my roadtrip tomorrow :grayno:

Sharkey

Word Ninja

That would be a MAJOR pain in the ass on the trail in terms of getting anything out of the fridge while loaded up. I suppose you could put the fridge on a slide, but then it might not fit under that rack.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I have some plans in my head to modify the rear window on a trektop to make it work with my system. It wouldn't be that difficult to do.

Jackal01

That would be a MAJOR pain in the ass on the trail in terms of getting anything out of the fridge while loaded up. I suppose you could put the fridge on a slide, but then it might not fit under that rack.

Agreed. I have no plans to have a deck above the fridge. What you and I built serves my purposes.

JAGS

Hooked

I've been trying to figure out a fully enclosed top deck solution for a while now. I don't have an ARB yet, but my cooler is pretty much the same dimensions. Just higher than a tuffy deck.

Building a high security type deck is a bit more difficult because the goal would be to make it sturdy enough to support gear, etc on top. To sharkeys point, would have to then run a slide or piano hinge the top on the side the fridge is on. Plus, making it sturdy at that height is a bit more difficult as well.

The short deck is by far easiest solution. But it does limit how much cargo you can secure.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
The short deck is by far easiest solution. But it does limit how much cargo you can secure.

Not really. The stuff (tools and survival stuff) I permanently keep in my jeep is just as secure as it would be with a Tuffy. Most any trip specific stuff I bring is easily secured in lockable boxes on top of the deck.

I keep my fridge in the jeep almost all of the time but it is secured with a cable and heavy duty padlock.

Jackal01

I keep my fridge in the jeep almost all of the time but it is secured with a cable and heavy duty padlock.
How do you have it setup? I am currently using a masterlock cable with built in lock, that goes around the rear handle and to the drive side roll bar. Still thinking of what other methods would be better for security.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
I've been trying to figure out a fully enclosed top deck solution for a while now. I don't have an ARB yet, but my cooler is pretty much the same dimensions. Just higher than a tuffy deck.

Building a high security type deck is a bit more difficult because the goal would be to make it sturdy enough to support gear, etc on top. To sharkeys point, would have to then run a slide or piano hinge the top on the side the fridge is on. Plus, making it sturdy at that height is a bit more difficult as well.

And this all seems to work against each other. You want an ARB fridge to carry lots of food/drinks, but then if you are out that long, you need camping gear/clothing and tools, which does not leave room for the ARB fridge. I think that the ARB fridge is awesome, but it all comes down to space. That is why I think that freeze dried is the way to go. If I have 4 people in the JK, then I would need to likely use a trailer of some kind.

Just my two cents.

Jackal01

And this all seems to work against each other. You want an ARB fridge to carry lots of food/drinks, but then if you are out that long, you need camping gear/clothing and tools, which does not leave room for the ARB fridge. I think that the ARB fridge is awesome, but it all comes down to space. That is why I think that freeze dried is the way to go. If I have 4 people in the JK, then I would need to likely use a trailer of some kind.

Just my two cents.

I think it depends on each person. I can fit enough gear and whatnot for 2 adults and a big dog for a week. That is with the fridge and custom built deck. Everyone does things differently, some pack light, some take everything from home. I am willing to bet most people take a cooler with them anyway so the use of the fridge is moot, IMO.

With all that said though, my wife and I still go freeze dried for food when we camp (primitive or "car camp). Maybe some snacks or one meal is regular food. We have always used a cooler primarily for drinks. We can fit a weeks worth of backpacking food in a regular sized backpack as opposed to a rubbermaid tote and cooler for regular food.

MTG

Caught the Bug
How do you have it setup? I am currently using a masterlock cable with built in lock, that goes around the rear handle and to the drive side roll bar. Still thinking of what other methods would be better for security.

Same. Just locked around the rear seat mount instead. It's more out of view and less accessible.

Top Bottom