Arb fridge/ freezer

MTG

Caught the Bug
And this all seems to work against each other. You want an ARB fridge to carry lots of food/drinks, but then if you are out that long, you need camping gear/clothing and tools, which does not leave room for the ARB fridge. I think that the ARB fridge is awesome, but it all comes down to space. That is why I think that freeze dried is the way to go. If I have 4 people in the JK, then I would need to likely use a trailer of some kind.

Just my two cents.

We pack for 4 and with all fresh food in the ARB. Trailer would be nice, but far from necessary to get out.

JAGS

Hooked
Not really. The stuff (tools and survival stuff) I permanently keep in my jeep is just as secure as it would be with a Tuffy. Most any trip specific stuff I bring is easily secured in lockable boxes on top of the deck.

I keep my fridge in the jeep almost all of the time but it is secured with a cable and heavy duty padlock.

I was more speaking of day to day while out running errands and things of that nature. I do far more mall and coach crawling, than rock crawling. Hauling backpacks, soccer gear, baseball gear and chairs is what I generally use the jeep for. That gear won't fit under a lower deck. I'd love to hit these activities topless and not worry too much about the cargo.

And keeping cold drinks in the back for sports would also be great.

I don't think I've seen your set up with the secure boxes on top. When you get a chance, would you mind taking a few pics?

Last edited:

Journeyman

And this all seems to work against each other. You want an ARB fridge to carry lots of food/drinks, but then if you are out that long, you need camping gear/clothing and tools, which does not leave room for the ARB fridge. I think that the ARB fridge is awesome, but it all comes down to space. That is why I think that freeze dried is the way to go. If I have 4 people in the JK, then I would need to likely use a trailer of some kind.

Just my two cents.

An Offroad trailer is an amazing piece of equipment. But it does obviously come with some negative aspects as well. Their great for getting off the grid, but not something I'd actually want on any type of a more aggressive trail. I've actually been debating in my head wether or not I want to keep mine. It does allow you to store everything in the trailer and almost be ready go in a drop of a hat.

Onefin

ok4wd (never used them before) has it for $877.95, free shipping, free cover and free remote monitor for this month only. I might pull the trigger before the month's out. I wish I had it now for my roadtrip tomorrow :grayno:

I bought my arb 50 from ok4wd. They were a good vender to buy from.
@$877.95 with the cover and the monitor that is a good deal.
No issues with our fridge in the two years we've owned it.
Wife loves it.

The owner of ok4wd owns and wheels a nice jku rubicon.

xflstl

Ya I'm putting my purchase of one on hold for now, until I can my hands on one for some test fitting.... Don't want to buy it, then figure out it won't fit where I want it.....

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
An Offroad trailer is an amazing piece of equipment. But it does obviously come with some negative aspects as well. Their great for getting off the grid, but not something I'd actually want on any type of a more aggressive trail. I've actually been debating in my head wether or not I want to keep mine. It does allow you to store everything in the trailer and almost be ready go in a drop of a hat.

My wife is super into the whole trailer idea, which I think is more for overland'ing. However, my wife just wants running water. If she had it her way, it would weigh about 12,000 pounds and have full kitchen and dining areas. Yikes. I wonder if it would not be better to do a lift on an RV or something.

So yes, I get that they are not good for aggressive trails. I can only imagine what it would be like to spot for something like that. Having to back up.. holy chit!!

Journeyman

My wife is super into the whole trailer idea, which I think is more for overland'ing. However, my wife just wants running water. If she had it her way, it would weigh about 12,000 pounds and have full kitchen and dining areas. Yikes. I wonder if it would not be better to do a lift on an RV or something.

So yes, I get that they are not good for aggressive trails. I can only imagine what it would be like to spot for something like that. Having to back up.. holy chit!!

That's what I'm in the process of shifting towards. Adding a 3/4 ton diesel pickup to the fleet with a lighter weight camper for all season trips. Then just using the jeep for trail runs and general off-roading. But the trailers are rad for over landing style, especially if you have a family.

Apologies for the thread hi-jacking

Last edited:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
How do you have it setup? I am currently using a masterlock cable with built in lock, that goes around the rear handle and to the drive side roll bar. Still thinking of what other methods would be better for security.

Cable through the rear handle then looped under the frame of the rear seat, with the lock out of sight. It would be difficult to get to the padlock with cutters. If really necessary, I could also lock the seat so it can't flip forward. Then it would be difficult to even get to the cable.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1469222662.181211.jpg

Last edited:

Jackal01

Cable through the rear handle then looped under the frame of the rear seat, with the lock out of sight. It would be difficult to get to the padlock with cutters. If really necessary, I could also lock the seat so it can't flip forward. Then it would be difficult to even get to the cable.
How do you lock the seat?

Edit since you have picture. My cable is just short enough to not go under the seat. Time for a longer one.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Here is my back end for daily driving.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1469222742.825979.jpg

I'll do a quick unload to show just how much is under the deck.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Here it is.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1469223012.285352.jpg

And that isn't counting what is on my tailgate or in the 8" x 7" x 22" "secret" compartment at the far back end of my deck. Currently that space is empty. Sometimes it carries a camp chair but eventually it will carry a fly rod setup, a 10/22 takedown, and a collapsible bow.

Shit, forgot the 48 ounce BFH tucked away. That's under there too. Realized it when I just repacked.

Last edited:

GoldenJK

I found this picture. This may work for those that want the smaller 37qt fridge. That is a Garvin rack. I think Ace makes a rack that sits up high. A google search will probably turn up results.

Doesn't the fridge need some air circulation around it for the compressor? Seems like an under deck setup wouldn't work very well, especially if any gear gets packed around the fridge.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Jason- out of all of that stuff I just posted, only the pelican boxes are under the big middle part of my deck. Without those, you could pack quite a bit of sports gear depending on the size.

Last edited:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
And getting back on track, the fridge is probably the best purchase I have made in several years...jeep related or not.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
And getting back on track, the fridge is probably the best purchase I have made in several years...jeep related or not.

Couldn't agree more. Even if you're stock, you can still benefit big time from having the fridge. It is why I own 2 of them :yup:

JAGS

Hooked
Jason- out of all of that stuff I just posted, only the pelican boxes are under the big middle part of my deck. Without those, you could pack quite a bit of sports gear depending on the size.

Gotcha Mike. Was thinking you had larger boxes on top. I've seen MTG set up on last years con run, so have a general idea and clearly you can get a lot of items under the lower deck.

Knowing you coach your kids sports and such, it's more that gear I'm wanting to keep out of eyesight. Coaches duffle, bag of six soccer balls, baseball gear. Etc.

I'm contemplating fabbing up some sort of modular set up I can adjust depending on outing/time of year. Starting point would be a lower security deck.

This last week doing the rubicon and then the extra days, has me thinking again about the fridge. Ice sucks! Not to mention all the wasted space when it melts.

Top Bottom