Are You Happy with Your EVO Bolt-On Coil Over Springs?

Are you happy with the spring rates that came on your EVO Bolt-On Coil Overs?

• Yes, I am competely satified with the spring rates I got out of the box.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • No. I wish they came with a softer spring rate

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • No. I wish they came with a heavier spring rate

Votes: 34 57.6%

• Total voters
is anybody going with a "lighter" spring rate?

I have a 2 door with no back seats... don't really carry any gear besides chaw.

Or can I make adjustments with the coilovers to make it a little softer? Sorry if this is an amateur question... still learning.

I spoke with Drew at ore about this a few weeks ago and he highly recommended staying with jut the stock spring rate. For a low COG you can go as little as 1/2" of preload on the coilovers. Then make sure the timing ring is no higher than 3/4" above the slider.

COG.. is that low center of Gravity?

Will doing such adjustments make her ride a little softer? Right now she sits pretty high and I've never come close to bottoming out.

I'll try to take a picture of my shock with a ruler so you can help me out. Sorry, just learning about this system as much as I can. You dudes have been great and really helpful... great community for the real technical stuff on higher end equipment in my humble opinion.

Pete

Last edited:
COG.. is that low center of Gravity?

Will doing such adjustments make her ride a little softer? Right now she sits pretty high and I've never come close to bottoming out.

I'll try to take a picture of my shock with a ruler so you can help me out. Sorry, just learning about this system as much as I can. You dudes have been great and really helpful... great community for the real technical stuff on higher end equipment in my humble opinion.

Pete

Yes it is low center of gravity. Here is how my two door sits with a 1/2" preload up front and an 1" in the rear
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468492514.731404.jpg.

Man I think I need heavier Springs again... for the 3rd time lol... so does anyone know how to fix that rear end "clunk"? I'm trying to figure that out now... haven't figured it out yet... also I have the HD Springs but I think I outweigh a lot of the average jeeps....
What would you think my spring rates should be

Man I think I need heavier Springs again... for the 3rd time lol... so does anyone know how to fix that rear end "clunk"? I'm trying to figure that out now... haven't figured it out yet... also I have the HD Springs but I think I outweigh a lot of the average jeeps....
What would you think my spring rates should be

5860... that's it?? Talk to me again when you're coming in at 7k. :crazyeyes:

Did you check your control arm bolts like I had suggested?

IMG_0349.JPG

Holy hell this was hard to find. In fact, I had to employ Cindy's help to find it but fully loaded, full tank and no passengers, Moby weighs in at...

IMG_0350.JPG

Granted, he was running EVO DTD, a ProRock 60 front, ProRock 80 rear and 40's mounted on Slabs.

Watch WAYALIFE YouTube Videos
WAYALIFE Jeeps & Specs

View attachment 235328

Holy hell this was hard to find. In fact, I had to employ Cindy's help to find it but fully loaded, full tank and no passengers, Moby weighs in at...

View attachment 235329

Granted, he was running EVO DTD, a ProRock 60 front, ProRock 80 rear and 40's mounted on Slabs.

WAYALIFE Jeeps & Specs

Wow
That is heavy 6900. I would like to see what mine weighs. I love my EVO bolt-on coilovers. They changed the ride more than I ever thought.

A lot of the weight you mentioned is unsprung. Axles, wheels and tires. But the V8 and spare tire and EVO DTD definitely weigh down the springs.

It would seem rode height wouldn't be affected by the unsprung weight ... right?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

5860... that's it?? Talk to me again when you're coming in at 7k. :crazyeyes:

Did you check your control arm bolts like I had suggested?

I loosened everything, then drove around the block and tightened everything back up still makes it, this week I'm going to buy a nitrogen tank and see if I need to add or take out some in the shocks.... I do still love them just wish I could locate this thing lol... thanks again Eddie for answering any questions I have had

I loosened everything, then drove around the block and tightened everything back up still makes it, this week I'm going to buy a nitrogen tank and see if I need to add or take out some in the shocks.... I do still love them just wish I could locate this thing lol... thanks again Eddie for answering any questions I have had

I'm not sure why you're so sure that whatever it is you're hearing is coming from your coil overs. Looking at the video you sent me, your coil over is hardly moving. :idontknow:

I have had the same clunk coming from the rear of mine and just fixed it. I too thought it was coming from my coil over.

The under body is hitting the top of your rear coil over bracket. Even with that small space when you go over a bump the body moves on the body mounts and makes contact.

Loosen your rear body mounts, jack up the body from the frame. Cut a 6"x6" piece of rubber from a mud flap or floor mat. Install it on top of the evo mount, lower body, tighten bolts. It is now sandwiched between the body and the mount. This keeps the body from making contact with the mount.

Ta Da!!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Are you in Vegas?

I have had the same clunk coming from the rear of mine and just fixed it. I too thought it was coming from my coil over.

The under body is hitting the top of your rear coil over bracket. Even with that small space when you go over a bump the body moves on the body mounts and makes contact.

Loosen your rear body mounts, jack up the body from the frame. Cut a 6"x6" piece of rubber from a mud flap or floor mat. Install it on top of the evo mount, lower body, tighten bolts. It is now sandwiched between the body and the mount. This keeps the body from making contact with the mount.

Ta Da!!!

Was this Mel's trick? :cheesy:

**Just noticed you posted before I hit submit that it was Mels suggestion** Good shit. I only witnessed 1 bolt on kit do this and called Mel on it myself. Mine don't do it and quite a few other peoples don't so its weird that some do.

(Ifixedit)

Last edited:
Maybe its a factory thing (tolerances)?
Haha I don't know but I mobbed my Jeep tonight and can now fully appreciate how the coilovers perform without the 'clunk'! I don't know how Drew and Mel put up with me as I know they thought I was f'n crazy hearing things!

Are you in Vegas?

Yes I am in vegas. I'll will definitely try that rubber idea

Was this Mel's trick? :cheesy:

**Just noticed you posted before I hit submit that it was Mels suggestion** Good shit. I only witnessed 1 bolt on kit do this and called Mel on it myself. Mine don't do it and quite a few other peoples don't so its weird that some do.

(Ifixedit)
Yes I am in vegas. I'll will definitely try that rubber idea

Ta Da!!!

Oops I think your 100% right!! I'll do that this weekend

LOL!! WTF, is that fix for real? Glad it works but it sure sounds ghetto.

WAYALIFE Jeeps & Specs

If it were hitting on mine, I would pound the tub up a bit with a hammer just to get the clearance but no joke, he said put a piece of a mud flap in between. I just happened to have one so I did it and sure enough, it worked. :clap2:

Top Bottom