Asfir Aluminum Armor

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Think we talked about these before as I had a customer with them. As these will work, I personally hate aftermarket skids for multiple reasons,
A) Waste of money
B) Stock skids that come on the Jeep work very well.
C) They make inspecting/repairing parts, especially on the trail, a nightmare
D) They trap and hide leaks you might have.
E) They trap a lot of heat

Honestly save your money and apply it elsewhere such as drivetrain/suspension.
The only skid I would even consider would just be an oil pan skid.
Couldn't have said it better (y)

Aceisback

Hooked
Jesus dude I was trying to get a little dialogue goin on the forum. I could have googled all that.

I would prefer US made skids.
No google necessary, went straight to the website. Personally I had never even heard of them until I started shopping for Gladiator skid plates two weeks ago. They are highly regarded across several forums and I thought I would get this group’s thoughts. I didn’t know some folks were so fragile. I come here to learn and to pass on my limited knowledge/experience of it can help some.
I know many here are opposed to skid plates but I have a big long heavy ass Mojave and I would like to protect the engine, transmission, transfer case, and fuel tank as best I can. Sorry if that offends some and goes against the train of thought, it just works for me.
Shalom 😉

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
They are highly regarded across several forums...
Just out of curiosity, do any of these "high regards" come with anything to back them up? And, I'm not talking about pics of scratch marks on the bottom of whatever they chose to buy - I mean, pics and videos showing how NOT having whatever they chose to buy fucked everything up.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know many here are opposed to skid plates but I have a big long heavy ass Mojave and I would like to protect the engine, transmission, transfer case, and fuel tank as best I can. Sorry if that offends some and goes against the train of thought, it just works for me.
Shalom 😉
LOL - can't speak for anyone else but me, I'm just trying to save you some money and headaches down the road. Take or leave it - clearly, your money, your Jeep and you should do whatever the fuck you want with both. I couldn't give 2 shits (y)

BTW, here's a video of my BIG long heavy ass Rubicon loaded up with a BIG HEAVY Decked system filled with TONS of HEAVY gear AND and BIG HEAVY EVO bed rack and BIG HEAVY 40" spare strapped to the top of it, slipping and sliding over nasty rocks in New Hampshire. Oh... and with just factory skid plates 🤪

Must be some kind of miracle that after a week of that shit, I was still able to drive all the way back home over 3,000 miles away.

But hey, what would I know :cool:

Last edited:

Aceisback

Hooked
LOL - can't speak for anyone else but me, I'm just trying to save you some money and headaches down the road. Take or leave it - clearly, your money, your Jeep and you should do whatever the fuck you want with both. I couldn't give 2 shits (y)

BTW, here's a video of my BIG long heavy ass Rubicon loaded up with a BIG HEAVY Decked system filled with TONS of HEAVY gear AND and BIG HEAVY EVO bed rack and BIG HEAVY 40" spare strapped to the top of it, slipping and sliding over nasty rocks in New Hampshire. Oh... and with just factory skid plates 🤪

Must be some kind of miracle that after a week of that shit, I was still able to drive all the way back home over 3,000 miles away.

But hey, what would I know :cool:
Watched the video. Awesome trip. Couple takeaways:
So you’re opposed to even differential skids?
My Mojave is not on 40’s, 35’s that might not even really be 35.
I don’t have your big lift, nor suspension.
I have been looking for a while for a decked system. Closest to me currently is up by Reno, which is not close.
Comparing my ride to those in the video I feel like I would’ve been doing quite a bit of winching.
Moving on though, your vid brought a couple other questions up. You don’t have a hitch, but do you believe in at least protecting it?
And with the Gladiator approach and departure it sure seems to me that the spare is quite vulnerable. What’s a fella to do about that?

You seriously have way more clearance than I’ll ever have so would you not even put skids on the LCA and shock mounts if your Gladiator sat as low as mine?
Appreciate the input. That’s why I’m here.👍

Aceisback

Hooked
Just out of curiosity, do any of these "high regards" come with anything to back them up? And, I'm not talking about pics of scratch marks on the bottom of whatever they chose to buy - I mean, pics and videos showing how NOT having whatever they chose to buy fucked everything up.
Maybe not in the way that you’re asking, but yes, there are pics of bashed in oil pans and whatnot.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Watched the video. Awesome trip. Couple takeaways:
So you’re opposed to even differential skids?
Differential skids are cheap and look cool and so I'm totally for getting them. Are they needed? No. Well, unless you're a dumbass that likes to aim right for big ass rocks down the middle of your Jeep and bash into them as hard as you can. Then, maybe they're needed. Otherwise, the number one reason for factory covers failing or leaking is because the bottom lip of it drags on a rock and peels it back. Simple fix for that is to remove the cover, grind the lip so that it sits HIGHER than the bottom of the housing and just like that, problem solved.
My Mojave is not on 40’s, 35’s that might not even really be 35.
I don’t have your big lift, nor suspension.
*sigh* Bigger tires and bigger suspension simply means you can take on MUCH BIGGER rocks. It's all the same thing. And, just to put an exclamation on the point...

I would totally wheel a Gladiator stock, just like I have and still do with Pippi.

I have been looking for a while for a decked system. Closest to me currently is up by Reno, which is not close.
Comparing my ride to those in the video I feel like I would’ve been doing quite a bit of winching.
To be honest, you couldn't even get started on these trails without a lot of modifications. But then, you should always wheel within your means or at least, in my opinion.
Moving on though, your vid brought a couple other questions up. You don’t have a hitch, but do you believe in at least protecting it?
Protecting the hitch? As in, the receiver?
And with the Gladiator approach and departure it sure seems to me that the spare is quite vulnerable. What’s a fella to do about that?
Try to wheel smarter than the highly regarded on the internet and try your hardest to pick good lines and keep your tires on the obstacles - NOT running down the middle of your Jeep. Also, don't be afraid to use a spotter.
You seriously have way more clearance than I’ll ever have so would you not even put skids on the LCA and shock mounts if your Gladiator sat as low as mine?
Appreciate the input. That’s why I’m here.👍
Again, clearance simply allows you to take on MUCH BIGGER obstacles. Wheel within your means as in, run trails that your Jeep at its current build can handle, pick good lines and don't be afraid to use a spotter and you'll find that you're Jeep will do great, just as is. But then, I've only been doing this wheeling thing for over 30 years and I'm still learning.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe not in the way that you’re asking, but yes, there are pics of bashed in oil pans and whatnot.
Your oil pan is located just behind the front axle and while it's not impossible to hit, it isn't easy to hit either. Typically, this happens when people take on dumb lines to be cool, pick really bad lines or don't use a spotter. ALL of it is totally avoidable or at least, from what I have seen. That said, it has NO skid from the factory and if anything, that is something to consider. However, Pippi is bone stock and I run NO oil pan skid. As far as the "whatnot" goes, what is the "whatnot"? And to be clear, a factory gas tank skid or t-case skid that's dented in does NOT mean that it has failed or needs to be replaced.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, true story and it shouldn't be highly regarded by anyone anywhere being that it's just based on my personal experience and what I have seen but, back on the 2013 JKX, an attending vendor from Colorado broke a transfer case linkage bushing on the very first day. A simple and easy to replace $1.50 bushing (that I had on me) but being that he had a very reputable name brand skid plate system installed, replacing it became a fuckin ordeal that went on until 2am. Of course, we were wheeling in Sand Hollow and so it was hot anyway even at night but the worst of it was that the skids were stinking hot even after waiting a hour to work on it. Also, the stupid flush mounted allen bolts head were all ground down to shit and so we couldn't get any tools on them to remove most of them. In the end, we managed to get a couple of bolts off, had a couple of guys bend down the fuckin skid as far as they could and I had to reach up and try to replace it while trying not to burn my arms.

This is just ONE example of how lame skids can be or at least, for people who actually use their Jeep as hard as they imagine and or post up on forums.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I wheeled my two door for 8 years with no skids. The trans crossmember looked like a pretzel. Never touched my oil pan once. Most people doing damage don’t know how to drive.
Had to dig these up. I think you had just graduated from Highschool or something LOL :ROFLMAO:

main.php

main.php
main.php

jeeeep

Hooked
I'll throw my 2c in this conversation, my JKU has aftermarket oil pan and EVAP skid, all else stock.

Only reason I put those skids on was because I took it to Moab new in 2010 had racked up less than 100 miles on the odometer.

Being bone stock, I hit the oil pan with bad lines, but not enough to cause it to leak. The skids basically became a panic buy at the vendor show but since then, I've not seen a scratch on either skid.

I'll admit I drank the kool-aid on the JLU after looking underneath and seeing how much more seemed exposed, I'm about to take it off and put the stock pieces back on.

As for the hitch skid, I run this bar in it to protect the tire; I know it's taken a beating on some ledges but no damage, not even with the JLU.

tire_stinger1.jpg

Aceisback

Hooked
Yes the receiver is what I’m asking about. Seems on a Gladiator that on approach or descent on/off something like a waterfall that the receiver would be in the line of fire regardless of line chosen. It’s more of a head on climb and to me, seems a little protection couldn’t hurt.

Yes the receiver is what I’m asking about. Seems on a Gladiator that on approach or descent on/off something like a waterfall that the receiver would be in the line of fire regardless of line chosen. It’s more of a head on climb and to me, seems a little protection couldn’t hurt.
But the receiver is very strong. The JK or JL spare tire mount is not.

Alas, Eddie is no longer going to be selling the hitch stinger. I should have bought one when they were available!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'll throw my 2c in this conversation, my JKU has aftermarket oil pan and EVAP skid, all else stock.

Only reason I put those skids on was because I took it to Moab new in 2010 had racked up less than 100 miles on the odometer.

Being bone stock, I hit the oil pan with bad lines, but not enough to cause it to leak. The skids basically became a panic buy at the vendor show but since then, I've not seen a scratch on either skid.

I'll admit I drank the kool-aid on the JLU after looking underneath and seeing how much more seemed exposed, I'm about to take it off and put the stock pieces back on.

As for the hitch skid, I run this bar in it to protect the tire; I know it's taken a beating on some ledges but no damage, not even with the JLU.

View attachment 389948
Yeah, the receiver is a tail dragger but it's strong enough that I use it to help protect things like a spare as show above ^^^
But the receiver is very strong. The JK or JL spare tire mount is not.

Alas, Eddie is no longer going to be selling the hitch stinger. I should have bought one when they were available!
I may make them again if the price of steel comes down. Right now, it costs way too much to make or at least, more than what most people are willing to pay and I have to say, I don't blame them. But, I have to make them in batches and I hate being stuck with inventory that I can't move.

Top Bottom