Atlas transfer case questions

I had to spend a few hours at a local off-road shop yesterday and was able to price out an atlas and go over what it would take to install it. The case and cable shifter would be just over $4000 AND I would either have to make yet another drive shaft purchase OR push my axles out. Not sure how far I'd have to push them out, since both need to be pushed slightly anyway from when I did the axle swap this week, but it's still a lot of money to consider.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I had to spend a few hours at a local off-road shop yesterday and was able to price out an atlas and go over what it would take to install it. The case and cable shifter would be just over $4000 AND I would either have to make yet another drive shaft purchase OR push my axles out. Not sure how far I'd have to push them out, since both need to be pushed slightly anyway from when I did the axle swap this week, but it's still a lot of money to consider.

An Atlas is a badass t-case and I love mine, I just don't know if it's really something that most Jeepers really need especially being that they do cost a pretty penny.

JK's JK

Banned

Lee. I personally just run the Rub case since you dont need to change anything from what it sounds like. If your wheeling hard core all the time like Eddie or Wade then I'd understand but I personally don't see you doing that all the time especially the amount of time your on the road. :twocents:

CRAZYCASEY

Unless you are wheeling hard, to the point you need 60s you don't need an atlas. I absolutely love mine but I was just thinking back to when I first got it and I was still running stock axles. The whine of the gears spinning on the highway absolutely drove me crazy. Learning to shift it was a PITA. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't give mine up for anything but I have only put 10k miles on my jeep in the last 24 months, mostly offroad. If your driving it everyday you will be very happy with the rubi case.

Unless you are wheeling hard, to the point you need 60s you don't need an atlas. I absolutely love mine but I was just thinking back to when I first got it and I was still running stock axles. The whine of the gears spinning on the highway absolutely drove me crazy. Learning to shift it was a PITA. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't give mine up for anything but I have only put 10k miles on my jeep in the last 24 months, mostly offroad. If your driving it everyday you will be very happy with the rubi case.

My bad, been busy all week doing axle swaps and stuff and haven't had a chance to update my profile. I'm rolling on 40's with RockJock 60's front and rear.

CRAZYCASEY

Indefatigable said:
What gear whine? In 2WD?
. If you don't have locking hubs and your front drive shaft is spinning it will spin the gears in the t-case, you can hear them pretty well on the freeway at 60+, at least with 5.38 gears. I would imagine a higer axle ratio would spin them less and would not be as loud. With the lockouts the driveshaft doesn't spin and there is much less noise from the t-case.

Last edited:

CRAZYCASEY

ridg3runner said:
My bad, been busy all week doing axle swaps and stuff and haven't had a chance to update my profile. I'm rolling on 40's with RockJock 60's front and rear.

Well if you decide to go atlas you will love it. It will add lots of options with two low and the front only option is great for front digs and getting through tight spaces .

Indefatigable

. If you don't have locking hubs and your front drive shaft is spinning it will spin the gears in the t-case, you can hear them pretty well on the freeway at 60+, at least with 5.38 gears. I would imagine a higer axle ratio would spin them less and would not be as loud. With the lockouts the driveshaft doesn't spin and there is much less noise from the t-case.

I am running an atlas 4spd. 4.88 axle gears and 37s. No front hubs. No t-case whine in 2WD. I know a few with Atlas' and no hubs. No 2wd whine....

Now when in 4WD, ya, there is the typical whine... :)

Indefatigable

I am running an atlas 4spd. 4.88 axle gears and 37s. No front hubs. No t-case whine in 2WD. I know a few with Atlas' and no hubs. No 2wd whine....

Now when in 4WD, ya, there is the typical whine... :)

Colour me curious. 5 minute google search (working hard this AM you know...) and came up with something interesting. The whine varies. Some have, some do not in 2WD. But the curious thing mentioned to check is if the front drive shaft angle is correct. A worn shaft or a shaft with bad angles puts load or vibration into the front output and can cause the whine.

Just a curious thought....

The 60's that I just got done installing this week (you did read that part, didn't you?) have free spin hubs. The good news is that I have a line on an NP241OR that I'm hoping will suit my needs. So, we'll be going from a 2.7:1 to a 4.0:1. Isn't the disgusting 11:1 but after a lot of reading, I think it'll work out well for me.

Top Bottom