ATX Slabs/chamber DOT approved or not?

jeeeep

Hooked
I've chatted with our local 5-0 and a few during EJS, they also said only time it'll matter is in an accident and if it played a role. as one officer told me, some guys leave their tires aired down too low for long term use at highway speeds and that's when things can happen.
I have a set waiting at home, then it's upgrade to 37's

Armydog

Quick answer: No

Run them over a year now. Haven't been give any trouble by The Man. I usually don't lower my window down enough and won't answer any questions anyways..... #constitution #'Merica :bleh: :bleh:

Bad attitude!!! No!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

Armydog

If someone was new here and hasn't followed all the threads you guys refer to, they would think you're all nuts. Actually, you are all nuts :cheesy:

Nuts and disrespectful to LEOs, bad! No!!

Armydog

Honestly, I'm starting to loose count on how many times I've been pulled over in the last couple of years and every single one of them had nothing to do with my ATX Slabs. In fact, they never even came up.

Not supporting veterans......

Flat Top

Why couldn't you get them balanced?

Maybe a bad assumption on my part. From past threads it sounded like the non-DOT approved status would not allow me go the Discount Tire or NTB for balancing. If I run 37' Trail Grapplers and SLABs can I still get them balanced? I realize that the Nittos are great tire and may not need balancing, but after the problems I have had with my 35" Mickey Thompsons keeping them balanced.....

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Maybe a bad assumption on my part. From past threads it sounded like the non-DOT approved status would not allow me go the Discount Tire or NTB for balancing. If I run 37' Trail Grapplers and SLABs can I still get them balanced? I realize that the Nittos are great tire and may not need balancing, but after the problems I have had with my 35" Mickey Thompsons keeping them balanced.....

A lot of people who run slabs and nittos have never got them balanced.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug

Yes, they can balance and rotate them for you, they just won't mount them. And before people throw objections at me, let me just say that I've tried with my local tire shops in central NC and those are the ones that have told me no. Others might be more lenient.

As far as balancing goes, the stick on weights may work, but there's also something called Dynabeads (or something like that) that can go inside your tire. The theory is they will gravitate to the areas within your tire (at speed) that require more weight, and help balance out the tire. Some people put airsoft bb's in as a substitute, but those are hard plastic and will make a racket every time you come to a stop. The Dynabeads are made of some material that I think may not do that? Anyway, go check out their website if you're looking for more info.

GCM 2

This ^

I run nittos on walkers with no balance

Good to hear that the Nittos still don't need weights on Walker Evans either. I used to run Nitto Terra Grapplers on Walker Evans beadlocks on my F-350 and never needed to balance that tire/wheel combo. However, my last set of W.E. beadlocks on the JK had those lame, egg shaped, MTR/K's that could never be balanced. Never switching from Nittos again.

Now I am on my second set of Nitto Mud Grapplers mounted on ATX Slabs and have never needed to balance them either. Just mounted them at the shop in Fullerton and drove home to Phoenix that evening and no issues running 80+mph with zero weights.

Flat Top

Not trying to re-hash what has already been stated about Nittos and balancing. I know many have stated that balancing is not needed as the tires are that good. I guess until I have pulled the trigger it's still a concern of mine.

As far as the balancing beads go, that's a toss up as well how well they work.

Hopefully balancing won't be a problem for me, I will need tires by the end of the summer. Now if I can just figure out how to swing the SLABs as well. :idontknow:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Discount tire will balance them for you. I need my Nitto's balanced because they are not so round anymore after 30,000 miles. Discount tire does it no problem. In fact I'll probably go back this weekend to have them done again.

MTG

Caught the Bug

You know what they say about assuming? :cheesy:

As Overlander mentioned DT will balance them. However, they will not mount them.

Top Bottom