Auto Insurance for Mods or Modifications - Extra Insurance

JagJeeper

USAA covers up to 6k in aftermarket parts. After that a rider (bit more $$) needs to be done. I'll need that rider at years end.

Rottenbelly

State farm and geico would NOT insure my jeep as soon as I said it was modified and had a winch and other goodies.
Been with progressive 12 years and the one wreck I was in they covered everything.
I also added 5k more custom parts insurance, since my fees are cheap.

WJCO

Meme King
State farm and geico would NOT insure my jeep as soon as I said it was modified and had a winch and other goodies.
Been with progressive 12 years and the one wreck I was in they covered everything.

I had a similar experience with Progressive on a modified truck. Great service. I currently have Metlife (Progressive rates went sky high after the flood here) and have had good luck too with the one claim I have had.

Ddays

Hooked

I don't understand these insurance companies and how selectively they handle the issuance of insurance and how they cover claims. On one hand they told you get lost and in my case they cover everything no questions asked...:idontknow:

projectMMTB

Here is my experience with a stolen JK that was modified and insurance. Look up "stolen jeep" thread on here

Just read the hole thread and damn I was so pissed but I'm relieved justice was served but I'm sorry for the loss of that beautiful rig. I can't imagine what I would do if that happened to me.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
This topic has been discussed on here plenty of times and it has never come down to a definitive answer. You will remain as lost as you were when you first started this thread. Many will say that their agent told them to just keep receipts/proof, others have bought supplemental add ons that will cover a set amount over the value of the vehicle, some policies have a set amount of coverage for aftermarket parts. Big piece of advice is to get everything in writing. A lot of folks have had good experiences with State Farm, but that doesn't mean you will.

That's because no one wants to listen to anyone with real answers.

xxJWPxx

Anybody used Geico for this type of request? Good experience?

I have Geico and had a few conversations with them regarding what they will cover. They can add an endorsement for aftermarket add on items but are limited in what they'll allow you to add. I was able to add the value of my tires, wheels, lift kit (as long as it doesn't exceed 6"), stereo and my blacked out Jeep/Wrangler logos (thought this was odd but whatever).

They will not cover aftermarket: winch, any sort of engine mod, exhaust, intake, custom paint, lift over 6", headlights/taillights, CB radio. Also no coverage for any damage done while offloading.

I basically went through all my mods with them and added what value I could to the endorsement. I didn't ask about bumpers or rock rails, etc.

Local State Farm told me they'd cover everything as long as I had pics/receipts. Planning to switch over to them but haven't gotten around to it yet.

GraniteCrystal

I have Geico and had a few conversations with them regarding what they will cover. They can add an endorsement for aftermarket add on items but are limited in what they'll allow you to add. I was able to add the value of my tires, wheels, lift kit (as long as it doesn't exceed 6"), stereo and my blacked out Jeep/Wrangler logos (thought this was odd but whatever).

They will not cover aftermarket: winch, any sort of engine mod, exhaust, intake, custom paint, lift over 6", headlights/taillights, CB radio. Also no coverage for any damage done while offloading.

I basically went through all my mods with them and added what value I could to the endorsement. I didn't ask about bumpers or rock rails, etc.

Local State Farm told me they'd cover everything as long as I had pics/receipts. Planning to switch over to them but haven't gotten around to it yet.

So if I total my Jeep offroading, Geico said they wouldn't cover anything?

Twise

You need a stated value policy. You and insurance company negotiate what it's worth and they cover you for that amount. Pics and receipts are always a great idea. I just photo them and stick them on the cloud. IMO State Farm is far superior to geico. Read and understand your policy. An OEM parts rider is a great idea, unless you don't care if they use aftermarket parts if something happens. I am in the collision repair trade. IME most people don't even know what they are covered for until it's time to file a claim.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Anybody used Geico for this type of request? Good experience?

Yesterday my girlfriend and I were in a pretty bad car accident but thankfully her and I walked away with nothing except a really sore body, concussion, and seat belt burns. Unfortunately her car was totaled and thankfully the dumbass who was texting and driving car was totaled also
This got me thinking:
What if this happens to my car when it gets out of the shop not just totaled but even if I get rear ended???Am I going to loose possibly THOUSANDS of dollars in parts??? Is there any way to cover specific aftermarket parts fully or even partially in case of an accident???
I have State Farm insurance if that means anything

I just really hate the thought of loosing all the money and time I've put into my jeep

So if I total my Jeep offroading, Geico said they wouldn't cover anything?

Gentleman, having worked in insurance claims for 20 years, a lot with Progressive and GEICO, I can speak with a bit of authority on the subject.

You are mostly correct. GEICO is pretty restrictive on what they will allow as an endorsement. Progressive was even worse. The most flexibility I found was with State Farm and Farmers. They pretty much allow you to add whatever you want and they simply add to the cost of the premium. For example, with Farmers, you simply tell them how much you want to insure in aftermarket parts and they then give you a quote.

As for GEICO not covering you during off-road events is incorrect, unless they can prove that this is a racing activity of some kind, which is VERY hard for any insurance company to prove. I would read the exclusion for carefully. There may even be some discussion regarding "organized event", but if varies from state to state.

My suggestion to the OP is to go through the other party's insurance carrier if you did not notify State Farm prior to the loss. You also have to look into your policy language and you might opt for the "appraisal clause", which can help the you greatly. Generally speaking, arbitrator's lean more towards the insured than the insurer. But then the costs rise for both sides. The more professional you come across, the more chance you have of getting your point across and the money you deserve. If you come across as a yah-who, then they will judge your witness qualifications accordingly.

The other party's insurance carrier cannot place restrictions on your coverage, up until you run into their liability policy limit. You also have to remember that you are injured, so they will likely be more understanding regarding your dilemma. My experience has been that once they play hardball on the property damage, then the costs of the bodily injury claim increase. Sad, but true. I have had people who were not even injured suddenly "become" injured when they found out we would not cover some gold plated fuzzy dice or some such nonsense.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. It seems bad now, but the most important thing is that you are both okay and from the sounds of it, your concussion not too severe.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
You need a stated value policy. You and insurance company negotiate what it's worth and they cover you for that amount. Pics and receipts are always a great idea. I just photo them and stick them on the cloud. IMO State Farm is far superior to geico. Read and understand your policy. An OEM parts rider is a great idea, unless you don't care if they use aftermarket parts if something happens. I am in the collision repair trade. IME most people don't even know what they are covered for until it's time to file a claim.

Very good words of wisdom here. Good points, thank you.

martinzusmc

Very good words of wisdom here. Good points, thank you.

Spot on advice. Every Ins. Company is different. Never take verbal info from your agent or what may have happened in the past as what will happen in the future. Read your contact and If there is a significant gap get stated value policy. Generally it just takes a certified appraisal that documents parts and total value sent to the company. How do I know? I had a custom built chopper stolen 9 years ago... Luckily I had a stated value policy & no problems at all.

NV JK Steve

Most insurance companies have special equipment coverage. You just need to take all receipts to your agent and have them add that amount under special equipment which is an endorsement. It will add premium to your policy but it will also ensure that all your aftermarket parts are covered.

james2003w

I have never used Geico. Every time the little Gecko comes on TV telling me how much I can save, when I actually call Geico, it's always a more expensive quote than the competitors, lol. Just my experience. After 3 tries, I gave up.

I should do that... and be like "well your ad on TV is wrong".

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
We have State Farm (I believe, going to have to look now as we just switched a few months ago) but I asked this very question when we got the new policy. The agent asked me what the add ons were and their values. He just added that to the policy. So of course the premiums went up but right now I have around $5k more coverage for the add ons. He said anytime I wanted to I could add to it and my policy would go up accordingly. I was very up front about the Jeep and he has even seen it in person so he knows what all has been done to it. He didn't have a problem with any of it. So hopefully if I ever have an issue then hopefully I get some extra to cover the add ons.

I will check my policy and report back.

TwistedJK

With GEICO you have to have endorsements for all the added extras. You need to send them receipts of everything you have done to the jeep. This must be done before an accident. If you do not have endorsements, then GEICO (at least in Florida) will only cover up to $1,000.00 in extras.

GraniteCrystal

With GEICO you have to have endorsements for all the added extras. You need to send them receipts of everything you have done to the jeep. This must be done before an accident. If you do not have endorsements, then GEICO (at least in Florida) will only cover up to $1,000.00 in extras.

Good to know. I need to get on that. Have more than $1000 into it for sure

Top Bottom