Axles....to ProRock, or not to ProRock....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have a question that will make me look bad but what is the flange?

The part of the axle shaft that these hands are holding.
main.php

caminton

So...basically, I'm going with a ProRock after all of this. Which brings on several more questions. If they've been answered before, I apologize. Feel free to direct me to other threads.

1. If I go with THIS, what else am I going to need to actually use this axle, besides gears/lockers and a new driveshaft?
2. Am I better off buying something pre-built instead of getting the housing and doing it "myself" (aka having a shop do it for me)? What I mean by this is: "Am I going to pay more buying pre-built vs. building it?"
3. Where do you guys suggest purchasing the axle from (if I get a new one) and how would I go about getting it to my local shop to install?

Side note: If anyone has any recommendations on shops close to Lompoc/SLO/Santa Maria/Santa Barbara, I'm all ears.

swampdog

So...basically, I'm going with a ProRock after all of this. Which brings on several more questions. If they've been answered before, I apologize. Feel free to direct me to other threads.

1. If I go with THIS, what else am I going to need to actually use this axle, besides gears/lockers and a new driveshaft?
2. Am I better off buying something pre-built instead of getting the housing and doing it "myself" (aka having a shop do it for me)? What I mean by this is: "Am I going to pay more buying pre-built vs. building it?"
3. Where do you guys suggest purchasing the axle from (if I get a new one) and how would I go about getting it to my local shop to install?

Side note: If anyone has any recommendations on shops close to Lompoc/SLO/Santa Maria/Santa Barbara, I'm all ears.

Bro, if you are already in Southern California I would order it straight from Dynatrac (Huntington Beach) and have Off Road Evolution (Fullerton) install it.

caminton

Bro, if you are already in Southern California I would order it straight from Dynatrac (Huntington Beach) and have Off Road Evolution (Fullerton) install it.

I'm as far north as possible while still being "SoCal" so it's a bit of a hike for us to drive two vehicles down, have them install it, drive one back home, drive one back down to pick up, drive two back home. If I can avoid it, I'd like to. But if that's my best option, I'm all for it.

As far as ordering through Dynatrac, I'm all for that too. I'm just big on small businesses because that's the majority of the market where I'm from (Alabama) and I'd prefer to order the axle from a shop so they get a little bit of revenue off of it.

caminton

I'm as far north as possible while still being "SoCal" so it's a bit of a hike for us to drive two vehicles down, have them install it, drive one back home, drive one back down to pick up, drive two back home. If I can avoid it, I'd like to. But if that's my best option, I'm all for it.
Where's the "foot in mouth" symbol? I just double checked and those are both within 4 hours from here, so not too serious. We want to take a trip to Disneyland anyways, so maybe we could plan Disney one weekend and Universal the next, drop the jeep off the first weekend and pick it up the next.
Always remember...happy wife, happy life. :2thumbsup:

swampdog

Where's the "foot in mouth" symbol? I just double checked and those are both within 4 hours from here, so not too serious. We want to take a trip to Disneyland anyways, so maybe we could plan Disney one weekend and Universal the next, drop the jeep off the first weekend and pick it up the next.
Always remember...happy wife, happy life. :2thumbsup:

I would think if you scheduled it they could swap the front axle in a day. People knock it out in their driveway in a day, surely a shop would be able to do this for you.

Bunz-o-fun

Not always but if it were bent bad enough, yes. When it's slight, your brakes will chirp.

Trying not to continue this thread down the wrong path, but maybe my question will help others.
if the flange is bent, does the chirp only happen when the brakes are applied? or does it happen under normal driving?

Thanks for the video WJCO

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Trying not to continue this thread down the wrong path, but maybe my question will help others.
if the flange is bent, does the chirp only happen when the brakes are applied? or does it happen under normal driving?

Actually, it'll chirp while driving and then go away when you apply the brakes.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

If you don't have them already, you will want adjustable lower control arms so that you can set your caster. If it were me, I would also upgrade the ball joints to ProSteers but they will bump up the cost.

If you order it from Dynatrac complete, all you would need to do is bolt it on.

Personally, I would order directly from Dynatrac as their techs are the ones who build it. If you order from a shop, you are getting their general mechanics building it for you.

WJCO

Meme King

Normal driving. Instead of the rotor spinning true in between the pads, it wobbles and hits one of the pads on every revolution.

We had our RR tire hit last year by another driver on an icy road, she was doing 10mph or less. We didn't see any damage so we drove home. Within half mile, the chirping was there. Spinning it at home, axle was clearly bent. We parked it and had insurance take pictures, then we drove it to a shop to have it fixed (insurance work), less than 2 miles from the house. Rotor, caliper bracket, etc grenaded as I was about 50 feet from the shop, so I lost hydraulic brakes and emergency brakes, not fun. Moral, don't drive on that shit.

DSC02507.jpg

DSC02508.jpg

caminton

If you don't have them already, you will want adjustable lower control arms so that you can set your caster. If it were me, I would also upgrade the ball joints to ProSteers but they will bump up the cost.

If you order it from Dynatrac complete, all you would need to do is bolt it on.

Personally, I would order directly from Dynatrac as their techs are the ones who build it. If you order from a shop, you are getting their general mechanics building it for you.

Thanks for the details Eddie. I'm assuming I can get gears/lockers installed from Dynatrac?

Top Bottom