Bad Day on White Ridge Trail, Need Some Advise

I think by now you already know your first course of action. I agree completely with the fact that this is clearly a labor error not a part failure.

Start with pictures and a phone call, if that doesn't go the way you want then go there in person and speak straight to the owner. Typically the owner of a business has a different view on taking care of their customers than an employee.

Also, don't start out letting them know you are thinking of going to a 60. Just tell them you want this resolved. If they know you are thinking of going to a 60 from the start it gives them a way to make more money from you out of this.

Make them commit to fixing the problem and that it will be a 100% warranty repair before talking about upgrades. This should be 0 dollars out of your pocket, unless you change what parts are going back in.

Good luck! Glad you had good friends on the trail with you!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks for the advise, I really appreciate it. If I decide to go with a new Dynatrac I'll do it myself, and they won't get near it.

Coop

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the advise, I really appreciate it. If I decide to go with a new Dynatrac I'll do it myself, and they won't get near it.

I know the feeling you get when you break, out in the middle of nowhere! You did all the right things, and, you suddenly understand just how great the Jeep community is.
It’s also amazing how linear our thinking becomes, and we just keep plugging away until we reach our goal of driving out, even if we are crippled, we still make it out!
My hat’s off to you!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I know the feeling you get when you break, out in the middle of nowhere! You did all the right things, and, you suddenly understand just how great the Jeep community is.
It’s also amazing how linear our thinking becomes, and we just keep plugging away until we reach our goal of driving out, even if we are crippled, we still make it out!
My hat’s off to you!

Thanks partner, you're right, and it really never felt painful, we just had to work through it and I learned a lot. The feeling you get when you finally get her rolling and out of there is hard to describe but i'll never forget it.

Update
I spoke to the shop owner and he told me they always Loctite the ring gear bolts. He pulled the shop records that would show that the Loctite is signed off. It wasn't signed off. He can see by looking at the pics that it was not installed correctly. They are sending a truck to pick up the Jeep in the morning and will do whatever repairs are needed at their cost.

Thanks for the quick responses, it really helped.

Cheers,
Steve

WJCO

Meme King
Update
I spoke to the shop owner and he told me they always Loctite the ring gear bolts. He pulled the shop records that would show that the Loctite is signed off. It wasn't signed off. He can see by looking at the pics that it was not installed correctly. They are sending a truck to pick up the Jeep in the morning and will do whatever repairs are needed at their cost.

Thanks for the quick responses, it really helped.

Cheers,
Steve

Wow. That is awesome news.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
View attachment 310296

HI, completely agree on the tools, I'll be adding a few I didn't have. A lightweight floor jack and Milwaukee Impact are high on my list. The hole was high enough that I thought we could get it out if we took it easy. There was no gear to throw the oil around anyway and it wasn't under load with the driveshaft out anyway. I stopped a few times to check if the axle bearings were getting hot. In retrospect we should have taped it up. We were going to fill it with JB weld put decided to just go for it. It wasn't like I was worried about screwing up the diff any worse. ;-)

That’s a hole alright. I thought those ARB covers were bullet proof.

jesse3638

Hooked
Glad to hear it. There is a reason that shop is reputable and has been in business as long as you said they were.

Coop

Caught the Bug
Nice! Glad to hear they are stepping up!

Wow. That is awesome news.

Glad to hear the shop is taking responsibility for their mistake.

Wow [emoji50] I’ve never seen anything like this before. Glad everything it working out in your favor.

Refreshing to see a shop step up and do whats right! :thumb:

That's awesome! Keep the thread updated with the progress. 👍

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Thanks all! We'll see, but I'm feeling much better.

I would get the shop to fix it, that’s not a small investment and they trashed the entire axle and all of the parts. The bolts prove no threadlock was not used and is easily the cause of the failure. I would also ask them to take pictures at different important steps of the rebuild to prove they did it right, one of those pictures will be the locktiteing if the bolts.

Last edited:

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
Wow great to hear they are going to take care of you, and impressed with the detailed records they keep. Sounds like a great shop to stay with.

trailraider

It'll will be a beer drinking story for years to come, there is no question about that.

I understand your lack of trust. Unfortunately mistakes happen, we've all made them. I think the way the company handles it should influence your decision. As you have stated above, they have acknowledge the issue.( I assume with no argument). If they make it right, it's enough in my books to stick with them.

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
Just read this .. wow one heck of a ordeal for sure .. good to see the shop is doing the right thing on the repair .. will lay odds the owner will be right there every step of the way during it as well to ensure it is done right ..

Sent from my SM-G892A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Slimebones

Just read this .. wow one heck of a ordeal for sure .. good to see the shop is doing the right thing on the repair .. will lay odds the owner will be right there every step of the way during it as well to ensure it is done right ..

Sent from my SM-G892A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Most likely was an inexperienced tech doing the work, as a seasoned pro would have used the red loctite in this situation without even thinking about it twice. Was great that the shop actually keeps track of such a thing and great to see they are standing behind it. :rock:

Top Bottom