Bad Day on White Ridge Trail, Need Some Advise

I would get the shop to fix it, that’s not a small investment and they trashed the entire axle and all of the parts. The bolts prove no threadlock was not used and is easily the cause of the failure. I would also ask them to take pictures at different important steps of the rebuild to prove they did it right, one of those pictures will be the locktiteing if the bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Good idea, I may just camp there for the duration but I'm pretty sure the boss will be watching this one a little closer.

Wow great to hear they are going to take care of you, and impressed with the detailed records they keep. Sounds like a great shop to stay with.

It'll will be a beer drinking story for years to come, there is no question about that.

I understand your lack of trust. Unfortunately mistakes happen, we've all made them. I think the way the company handles it should influence your decision. As you have stated above, they have acknowledge the issue.( I assume with no argument). If they make it right, it's enough in my books to stick with them.

Just read this .. wow one heck of a ordeal for sure .. good to see the shop is doing the right thing on the repair .. will lay odds the owner will be right there every step of the way during it as well to ensure it is done right ..

Sent from my SM-G892A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yep, they have a great reputation, it means a lot to me that they are standing behind their work.

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
It's always encouraging to hear about a company that believes in standing behind their work and being honest when they've made a mistake!!

Nice. Sounds like it’ll work out and be a fun story over beers instead of a ugly drawn out lawyer thing.

Yeah, I was mentally getting all ready for the lawyer thing and I didn’t like it.. They ordered new locker, gears set, bearing, etc. and a new ARB cover. Shipment arriving Next Tuesday, I’m thinking Friday to pick her up, fingers crossed, I hate being without my Jeep.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Update and a Delay

The repair saga for the rear diff destroyed by the loose bolts got a little more interesting. The shop had received the new ARB locker, gears, bearings, etc. and when they went to install they noticed a small crack in the housing. It goes all the way through from the inside of the center casting. Likely damage from one one the bolts flying around.

They are now replacing the entire housing, The housing will be sand blasted and painted, then setup with the new parts. Going to take another week. I attached a picture of the front of the casting but you have to look close. I highlighted the area. Its been a long time since I have been this long without driving my Jeep around. It painful to instinctively wave at all the Jeeps I see and not get a return wave, of course I am in the wife's Honda.

Ruby Fix-121426.jpg

jdofmemi

It sounds like you have a stand up shop that you dealt with.
Some would have glossed over this.

I was concerned about the housing, as I have experienced the same problem 3 times, twice in Ford 3/4 tons and once in a Toyota.
The Toyota ruined the drop in by spreading the bearing retainers so far it would not come out of the housing, and one of the Ford's cracked similar to what you have.

jesse3638

Hooked
Sounds like a really great shop. Despite their original error sounds like they are making sure the problem is taken care tree of correctly. I wouldn't hesitate to use them. People make mistakes all the time it's how they respond to them which identifies their character.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sounds like a really great shop....... People make mistakes all the time it's how they respond to them which identifies their character.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I agree, my great grandfather was a carpenter and I remember him telling me “Everyone makes mistakes, the good guys know how to fix them”. Lord knows I’ve made my share.

My wife is having surgery today and I won’t be able to go pick up the Jeep when it’s done this week so they said they would bring her the 30 miles out to me.

Brute

Hooked
I agree, my great grandfather was a carpenter and I remember him telling me “Everyone makes mistakes, the good guys know how to fix them”. Lord knows I’ve made my share.

My wife is having surgery today and I won’t be able to go pick up the Jeep when it’s done this week so they said they would bring her the 30 miles out to me.

Good luck...and hopefully no mistakes during the surgery as well...

Back in Business!

The shop delivered Ruby to me this week. All new axle housing, bearings, gears, ARB locker, etc. Basically a new axle. They were able to reuse the 35 spline axle shafts. Just need to get her broken in. Thanks for all the advise and support!

It feels good to be rolling again.

Ruby Fix-1083.jpg

Top Bottom