Bad factory weld on LCA mount?

Skirmish

I'm only on a 3" lift so on a JK the long arm would just cut clearance. The control arms would basically become sliders and not really give enough benefit for the cost.

miguel250r

At work we had a new Holland swather and the cab mount broke off the frame under warrentee for a bad weld and the dealership sent the tractor back to new Holland PA and put it back through the assembly line to get a new frame rail put in it I wonder if jeep will do same thing

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

dahreno

Banned
I had the rear track bar bracket come off my rear axle on my 2008 JKUR when it was new.The weld was so bad that there was no trace of weld on the axle at all.I brought it back to the dealer and they replaced the whole axle housing but used my internals.No problem since

Tcdawg

Skirmish said:
Looking at the brackets out there and talking to Mel at EVO (who was very nice on the phone by the way) it seems my options are to hammer my old bracket back or make one myself. It doesn't seem anyone makes a replacement for the front mount.

I'm in the same boat. My bracket bent and in looking for a replacement bracket I thought the Artec or Ballistic Fab bracket would work. After looking at them further, they are made to go in the frame...our frame side CA brackets are inset from the frame.

Heholua

You can pretty much bet on not getting it warrantied :grayno:. I hope I'm wrong. Most dealerships won't have anyone to weld the bracket on let alone the liability involved. I've heard other stories as well with broken track bar brackets getting the whole axle replaced. Best of luck.

Skirmish

As mentioned, the dealer would pay a local shop to do the welding. If it came to it, I would rather weld it myself unless I can be guarantied to have it back the same day. I am more curious to see if Chrysler will admit the fault.

The first warranty issue I had was on a side soft window. The seam was only in the trim edge and the trim peeled off allowing the back of the window to separate. The Manager sent a pic in but it was after 5 PM Detroit time so she would have to wait for an answer. The options would be that they would send me to an upholsterer or I would get a new window. The dealer didn't have the equipment or the personnel to hand that type of work. In the end Chrysler approved the new window and all was well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, I have seen a few of these break over the years and, it's one of the reasons why I'm not too fond of the AEV drop brackets - they aggravate the problem. I do hope your dealership helps you out with this as it really is a problem with the welds and not what you've done to your Jeep. Dynatrac works with Chrysler and I know they can get brackets like this so, I would imagine your dealership should be able to get them too.

Skirmish

Well the Dealers didn't want to touch it. No surprise. One asked me if it was lifted, he obviously knows nothing about mechanics. Trying to explain metallurgy to a douche bag in a tie is a waste of time. The other Dealer Service Manager wants me to deal direct with Chrysler and that seems like a waste of time as even if they agree its their fault I don't want to lose it for however long it would take to fix it when I can do it in an afternoon. I am more worried about what other welds were done incorrectly. I don't want to get in a fender bender and have my engine mounts tear off and have the dealer blame aftermarket parts.

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
You should at least talk to the Chrysler folks you might be surprised. Breaking welds are a big deal on frame components.

Sent from JK OIIIIIIO

StrizzyChris

You should at least talk to the Chrysler folks you might be surprised. Breaking welds are a big deal on frame components.

Agreed. I would calmly and politely address the safety concerns with the factory welds and breaking. Ask for a written statement from the service manager as to why they refuse the repairs for the day you wreck from lack of warrantied repairs.

Skirmish

If the suspension has been modified there is no way they would fix it under warranty.

Not true. They have to prove that the modification cause the failure.

I took more pics with it off. One section of the top is a smooth factory edge. Both tabs on the bottom barely show no sign of being welded. I can clean the broken weld off the mount and frame and you you never know it was ever welded. If there was any penetration it would have torn the metal and bent the mount off. It was simply a bad weld, most likely not enough heat.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1377739879.805537.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1377739932.532617.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1377739945.666417.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1377739957.885091.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1377739970.501048.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1377739988.369588.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1377740002.009763.jpg

I'll probably give Chrysler a call now that I have better pics. It probably would have come off sooner if the paint wasn't holding it better than that bad weld.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Hey moochie did they have to proven that add on you did to the bottom of your engine caused the damage or did they just say no when they voided your lifetime warranty?

They dont have to prove anything.

ya as bad as it sucks, the dealerships hold all (or most) of the power in these situations. i would call Chrysler and see if they can help. You can see the weldz suck, but they seem to not care all that much!!!

andrew-

Moochie

Not true. They have to prove that the modification cause the failure.

I took more pics with it off. One section of the top is a smooth factory edge. Both tabs on the bottom barely show no sign of being welded. I can clean the broken weld off the mount and frame and you you never know it was ever welded. If there was any penetration it would have torn the metal and bent the mount off. It was simply a bad weld, most likely not enough heat.

View attachment 46596
View attachment 46597
View attachment 46598
View attachment 46599
View attachment 46600
View attachment 46601 View attachment 46602

I'll probably give Chrysler a call now that I have better pics. It probably would have come off sooner if the paint wasn't holding it better than that bad weld.

This might be true but, you could have quite the battle with them.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I just hope they don't fire the robot. He was just doing what he was told to.

That so true. You sir are a true gentleman and scholar.

I think you're just afraid you'll get stuck with a minivan again. :yup:

MTG

Caught the Bug
The nightmares have finally stopped and my therapist says I'm making good progress from that dark period of my life.

LOL! Hey my rental this week is an Infiniti FX37. I say we head out and do a night run at tie-rod and test out that full coverage insurance policy I opted for. :cheesy:

Skirmish

LOL! Hey my rental this week is an Infiniti FX37. I say we head out and do a night run at tie-rod and test out that full coverage insurance policy I opted for. :cheesy:

Probably do as well as an FJ. ;). The secret is always more throttle.

Top Bottom