Banks Pedal Commander vs Tazer

LVMohave

I have a 2023 Gladiator 3.6l (gas) and added a Banks Pedal monster and the pedal improvement is very much improved. I recently noticed my Jeep app stopped updating the day I installed the Pedal monster (confirmed by stellantis the day it stopped) - when I called about the problem they figured out there's "something" added to the obd port, so they KNOW I have an aftermarket product added. Not sure if this should be a concern of mine. I would like to keep the Jeep app updated as it has some nice info on it.

I was wondering if the Tazer effects the Jeep app as well? ANY input would be appreciated.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have a Tazer installed on my Gladiator and 392 and have not had any issues with updates. If anything, I really hate the updates and wish I could turn that stuff off.

LVMohave

I have a Tazer installed on my Gladiator and 392 and have not had any issues with updates. If anything, I really hate the updates and wish I could turn that stuff off.
what updates specifically? ( I assume you are talking Tazer updates?) I MAY need to clarify what I was saying - The Jeep app doesnt give me updates as a message or anything, I just open the app and it tells me oil %, vehicle location, lock and unlock doors, set a location boundry, valet, etc.....BUT only if I open the app to get that info

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
what updates specifically? ( I assume you are talking Tazer updates?) I MAY need to clarify what I was saying - The Jeep app doesnt give me updates as a message or anything, I just open the app and it tells me oil %, vehicle location, lock and unlock doors, set a location boundry, valet, etc.....BUT only if I open the app to get that info
System updates, NOT Tazer. What you're referring to is the invasive crap you get by emails? That is a service you have to subscribe to. New Jeeps get it for a short period of time for free.

LVMohave

System updates, NOT Tazer. What you're referring to is the invasive crap you get by emails? That is a service you have to subscribe to. New Jeeps get it for a short period of time for free.
ok got it. I only get emails for speeding (which isnt often) and if my Jeep goes outside the boundary I set for it. I wonder if they can detect a Tazer on the Jeep also, I assume they would

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
ok got it. I only get emails for speeding (which isnt often) and if my Jeep goes outside the boundary I set for it. I wonder if they can detect a Tazer on the Jeep also, I assume they would
Not sure why you're so concerned about them being able to detect a Tazer but I doubt it. What they might be able to detect is if you have a security gateway bypass installed though and that would be needed for something like a Tazer.

LVMohave

Not sure why you're so concerned about them being able to detect a Tazer but I doubt it. What they might be able to detect is if you have a security gateway bypass installed though and that would be needed for something like a Tazer.
Maybe Im overreacting, but these days, anything is possible. I Just dont want to get caught up in a situation if something needs repair, under warranty, etc.... on the truck dealing with "your aftermarket product may have caused this issue"

Maybe Im overreacting, but these days, anything is possible. I Just dont want to get caught up in a situation if something needs repair, under warranty, etc.... on the truck dealing with "your aftermarket product may have caused this issue"
Your Jeep is sending telemetry via 4G cell service. You can see what they summarize for you as a customer. Jeep engineers would be crazy (or really stupid engineers) if they are not sending quite a lot more so they can monitor what is happening with your jeep in order to detect /correct product issues before they become a major warranty issue. They could also make your jeep stop dead in its tracks. Assume that they can see everything visible via the ODB port, and much more.

LVMohave

Your Jeep is sending telemetry via 4G cell service. You can see what they summarize for you as a customer. Jeep engineers would be crazy (or really stupid engineers) if they are not sending quite a lot more so they can monitor what is happening with your jeep in order to detect /correct product issues before they become a major warranty issue. They could also make your jeep stop dead in its tracks. Assume that they can see everything visible via the ODB port, and much more.
makes sense - thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It is ALWAYS NECESSARY to restore your Jeep's computer back to stock and REMOVE ANY programmer you might have installed on your Jeep PRIOR to taking your Jeep into a dealership. Pretty much every programmer will tell you as much and among other things, this will help to prevent any warranty issues.

LVMohave

It is ALWAYS NECESSARY to restore your Jeep's computer back to stock and REMOVE ANY programmer you might have installed on your Jeep PRIOR to taking your Jeep into a dealership. Pretty much every programmer will tell you as much and among other things, this will help to prevent any warranty issues.
I 100% agree, but what I'm saying is no matter if you take off (in this case the Banks Pedalmonster) Stellantis ALREADY KNOWS you have something in the OBD port.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I 100% agree, but what I'm saying is no matter if you take off (in this case the Banks Pedalmonster) Stellantis ALREADY KNOWS you have something in the OBD port.
To clarify, you NEED TO REMOVE EVERYTHING, including what's on the OBD port before you take your Jeep to the dealership.

kevman65

Hooked
Okay, let's break it down.

Through the onboard Jeep Nanny software, they know every time you hook something non-OEM up, but they don't know WHAT you hook up or what it does.

If the same product is left attached when you take it to the dealer, they can't hook up to the OBDII to scan your Jeep, they then also know if you are using something that rewrites the parameters they have set for your Jeep to function properly.

So, don't sweat the over the air stuff, and ALWAYS disconnect any aftermarket device from your OBDII system and reattach the safety gateway cables.

Okay, let's break it down.

Through the onboard Jeep Nanny software, they know every time you hook something non-OEM up, but they don't know WHAT you hook up or what it does.

If the same product is left attached when you take it to the dealer, they can't hook up to the OBDII to scan your Jeep, they then also know if you are using something that rewrites the parameters they have set for your Jeep to function properly.

So, don't sweat the over the air stuff, and ALWAYS disconnect any aftermarket device from your OBDII system and reattach the safety gateway cables.
Most likely Jeep can deduce the device installed based on the parameter values which were changed. Most of this stuff is reverse-engineered, and so aftermarket products do not all do things the same way.

RoadNomad

Question for your Tazer experts, first does it delete the speed lockout on the nav and cluster features, second does it peacefully work with a Banks Data Monster? Since it plugs inline I imagine it replaces the SWG? Is this correct?

WJCO

Meme King
Question for your Tazer experts, first does it delete the speed lockout on the nav and cluster features, second does it peacefully work with a Banks Data Monster? Since it plugs inline I imagine it replaces the SWG? Is this correct?
Not sure what you're talking about. Tazer still shows speed on nav. Banks data monster?

RoadNomad

WJCO, The stock jeep JLU locks out nav functions and some cluster select options while you are moving. Does Tazer remove both of these? Next, the Banks Data monster is a multi purpose OBD2 monitor that allows the users to look at all functions available via OBD2 and allow you to store the information via a SD card. It is fully configurable and you can see real time just about anything plus store it if you like.

Since the Tazer is placed inline and removes the SWG from the picture I wonder if it will affect the Banks Data monster. Banks says the Data Monster works perfectly in a jeep that has the SWG in place but I have no clue if it will peacefully co-exist with the Banks unit.

Tazer tech support is useless and they don't have a phone number you can contact an engineer or for that matter anyone else and sending emails don't work either. I can only rely on first hand knowledge of those who have these things.

RoadNomad

As much as I can appreciate the features of the Tazer JL Mini I won't take a chance and fork out over $329.00 to a company that does not offer ANY real time tech support and then have to play games trying to get my money back if it doesn't work like I thought.

Perhaps is they loose enough business (or for that matter even read comments like this on forums) they might open up a tech line line for questions.

Top Bottom