Batteries and suspension woes

WJCO

Meme King
Bent tie rod shouldn't cause it.

Control arm bushings? Drag link sleeve bolts tight and sleeve seam lines up with clamp openings? Any chance of pitman arm splines loose on sector shaft?

WJCO

Meme King
Drag link joints pivoting/rotating is normal, however if there is free play in the joint, that is not normal.

Also, I noticed in your picture that the adjustment sleeve seam is not lined up with the open ends of the clamp. They will loosen up like this.

IMG_20170816_183039_680.jpg

It should look like this:

IMG_4940.jpg

Not sure if that will fix it, but either way, worth a try.

And what do you mean sector shaft bolt hitting frame? You mean the drag link stud hitting frame?

Recurve

Drag link joints pivoting/rotating is normal, however if there is free play in the joint, that is not normal.

Also, I noticed in your picture that the adjustment sleeve seam is not lined up with the open ends of the clamp. They will loosen up like this.

View attachment 272995

It should look like this:

View attachment 272996

Not sure if that will fix it, but either way, worth a try.

And what do you mean sector shaft bolt hitting frame? You mean the drag link stud hitting frame?

I mean it clunks around pretty bad when I pivot the joints, but doesn't look like any other play there.
I turned the clamps down so they wouldn't hit my electronic sway bar. This clamps turned like that won't have enough clamping pressure on the sleeve ? Also turning that sleeve to match the clamps would then offset my steering wheel. :/

Just a note, any time I go off-roading or flex out over something that puts a lot of pressure on the steering , my steering wheel ends up out of line after I get home. Then I have to realign it

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
My guess is that all of this is related. Leaving the clamps like that doesn't work. They loosen up, been there myself. I would say find a compromise where the clamps are turned just enough to clear the sway bar, but the sleeve seam is still inside the clamp openings. I understand where you're coming from on keeping the steering wheel centered, but that sleeve seam has to be within the clamp openings.

And you're 100% sure that there are no cracks in either of the track bar brackets or welds?

Recurve

I'm going to bed , lol. I will take a look at everything real good tomorrow .
Man I hope I can figure this all out before I leave for vacation :(
This shit is stressful

MTG

Caught the Bug
And you're 100% sure that there are no cracks in either of the track bar brackets or welds?

This. :yup:

Look underneath where the trackball bracket connects to the from. I had the weld on mine crack twice where it connected to the factory bracket and where the lower front control arm connected. My bracket was welded as well Both times it resulted in death wobble.

Recurve

This. :yup:

Look underneath where the trackball bracket connects to the from. I had the weld on mine crack twice where it connected to the factory bracket and where the lower front control arm connected. My bracket was welded as well Both times it resulted in death wobble.

When I get home I'm going to take everything apart an really look over the track bar bracket an track bar bolts

Recurve

Update :

I did take off the track bar an check out the brackets an holes an track bar itself. Tighten down the collar on the drag link the right way
Everything is solid torqued, g2g.

so had a friend come up an get behind the wheel of my Jeep.
I put up the front end on my lift to shake that baby all over, trying to induce as much wobble an shaking as we could to track it down lol.

The steering box /pitman arm has all kinds of slop an makes pretty loud clunking noise. That's deff part of the problem, also the top of the drag link has just a slight hair of play in it as well.
Also I can physically shake the tires as they are suspended on the lift, an let go quick an it continues to wobble at the pitman arm/drag link.

I believe this in combination with my big tires that are not balanced currently is what's causing my problems.

I'm anxious to get my psc big bore steering box next week.

So what I'm doing now, I put on my fox stabilizer and that's enough of a bandaid that it acts like a crutch for my pitman arm an drag link.

I get no death wobble at all even it hard bumps above 60mph.

I just don't want to have to rely on a stabilizer going to the beach though.
I'm getting my tires balanced an new alignment Monday , then waiting on my new box as well.

Other that, think I have it figured out .

Thanks for everyone's help , deff needed it.
The wife and I got redstag out today for a much needed bath!
IMG_4304.jpg

jeeeep

Hooked
if the steering box has that much play in it, not sure i'd keep driving it.

I had a little play in mine - could hear a clunk every time I turned. thought it was the steering linkage but turned out to be internal in the steering gear box.

It finally failed doing 50mph on a freeway ramp curve...pucker is an understatement on the freeway when trying to go right and the Jeep keeps going straight.

I'd wait until you get the steering box properly repaired.

Recurve

if the steering box has that much play in it, not sure i'd keep driving it.

I had a little play in mine - could hear a clunk every time I turned. thought it was the steering linkage but turned out to be internal in the steering gear box.

It finally failed doing 50mph on a freeway ramp curve...pucker is an understatement on the freeway when trying to go right and the Jeep keeps going straight.

I'd wait until you get the steering box properly repaired.

Good to know , I just took it to wash an back home.

I probably won't be driving it till I get my new box in.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I mean it clunks around pretty bad when I pivot the joints, but doesn't look like any other play there.
I turned the clamps down so they wouldn't hit my electronic sway bar. This clamps turned like that won't have enough clamping pressure on the sleeve ? Also turning that sleeve to match the clamps would then offset my steering wheel. :/

Just a note, any time I go off-roading or flex out over something that puts a lot of pressure on the steering , my steering wheel ends up out of line after I get home. Then I have to realign it

Not true. The clamps need to be lined up with the slot in the drag link. You can't clamp solid steel. Unless it different on the east coast compared to the rest of the world.

Top Bottom