Batteries and suspension woes

WJCO

Meme King
Well drivers was shot , it wiggled all around, as in the whole wheel/steering knuckle moved up and down about an inch .
Where as passenger it was solid . To my eyes anyways as I was prying on it.

Not sure what your saying . I'm confused lol

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Use a shovel handle or a long piece of bulk steel. Gives good leverage to see it. Either way, every Jeep or Dodge I've seen with bad ball joints, both sides were bad about same amount.

Recurve

Use a shovel handle or a long piece of bulk steel. Gives good leverage to see it. Either way, every Jeep or Dodge I've seen with bad ball joints, both sides were bad about same amount.

I'm sorry guys I need to be more specific .. when I say "pry bar" I mean a 5 foot long digging iron . It's huge/heavy an gives it all kinds of leverage.

I ordered another set of ball joints so I will just do the other side.
I haven't drove my Jeep really since I did the last ball joints on the drivers side

Recurve

So update to my thread , got my balljoints in today. Went out to the garage an got everything apart.
Well Eddie you were right .. the bottom ball joint was trashed on the passenger side.
So I replaced them both with new ones.
Will take a test ride tomorrow when I get it back together.
IMG_4290.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So update to my thread , got my balljoints in today. Went out to the garage an got everything apart.
Well Eddie you were right .. the bottom ball joint was trashed on the passenger side.
So I replaced them both with new ones.
Will take a test ride tomorrow when I get it back together.

The only reason why I'd say that I'm glad to be right is because I'm gonna bet that your ball joints were the culprit in your death wobble. Running wheels with little back spacing and big tires looks awesome but the stress they'll put on your ball joints and unit bearings is enough to cause them to wear out faster. It's just something to keep in mind. Also, it's ALWAYS a good idea to replace all your ball joints all at the same time and same goes for unit bearings - do both at the same time.

Recurve

The only reason why I'd say that I'm glad to be right is because I'm gonna bet that your ball joints were the culprit in your death wobble. Running wheels with little back spacing and big tires looks awesome but the stress they'll put on your ball joints and unit bearings is enough to cause them to wear out faster. It's just something to keep in mind. Also, it's ALWAYS a good idea to replace all your ball joints all at the same time and same goes for unit bearings - do both at the same time.

Yeah , for sure .
Seems like I run through ball joints an bearings ever since I got my 37s and slabs.
Yeah thanks, I will take your advice an replace all four ball joints an both unit bearings the next time they wear out.

Now all my ball joints an both my unit bearings are brand new. Hopefully it will smooth things out when I test it out tomorrow .

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Glad to see you hopefully got it all sorted Tyler, now you just need to come wheel ;)

Also cant wait to see that HD box compared to our normal ones. I will say, have an extra set of hands for the install. I can only imagine how much more that will weigh than the one I swapped in. Its really easy to swap, but kind of a pain at the same time just since the lines on top are kind of hard to get to due to the plastic parts above it where your wrench needs to go.

jeeeep

Hooked
cool you got it resolved :thumb:

the lower ball joints will always wear out faster than the uppers on the wrangler. as a rule I've always replaced both upper and lower on both sides if one side had failed.

I have replaced my balljoints 3 times since lifting - once with 315's, twice since going to 37's) before finally going with Dynatrac ProSteer - got tired of doing it what seemed like once a year and the cost ...minimal at first but not in the long run.

you have a lift? i'm looking for a new home, my criteria is a garage tall enough for a lift :thumb:

Last edited:

Recurve

I spoke too soon, after I got everything together . Went for a test ride an got instant death wobble around 45 mph.
Pretty violent.

Idk maybe I can go around an re-torque everything. Keep checking around
:(

Just a recapp.
Both ball joints on both sides are brand new an fresh.
Both hubs are brand new as well.
I torque down everything an my track bar is pretty new , track bar bolts look good.

lol I don't know what to do .

Last edited:

Recurve

Glad to see you hopefully got it all sorted Tyler, now you just need to come wheel ;)

Also cant wait to see that HD box compared to our normal ones. I will say, have an extra set of hands for the install. I can only imagine how much more that will weigh than the one I swapped in. Its really easy to swap, but kind of a pain at the same time just since the lines on top are kind of hard to get to due to the plastic parts above it where your wrench needs to go.

Yeah I heard it's good to have another set of hands
When installing it. Makes things a little easier.
Now I just need to figure out this death wobble. Driving me crazy , plus Jeep beach is coming up fast!!!!

Recurve

cool you got it resolved :thumb:

the lower ball joints will always wear out faster than the uppers on the wrangler. as a rule I've always replaced both upper and lower on both sides if one side had failed.

I have replaced my balljoints 3 times since lifting - once with 315's, twice since going to 37's) before finally going with Dynatrac ProSteer - got tired of doing it what seemed like once a year and the cost ...minimal at first but not in the long run.

you have a lift? i'm looking for a new home, my criteria is a garage tall enough for a lift :thumb:

Yeah I deff thinking about the prosteers , but I might buy a prorock 44 when I get those.
Not sure yet.

WJCO

Meme King
Have you had someone turned the steering wheel while you carefully look at the track bar ends? Any play can cause death wobble. Also, is your track bar bracket welded to the axle or bolted on?

Recurve

Have you had someone turned the steering wheel while you carefully look at the track bar ends? Any play can cause death wobble. Also, is your track bar bracket welded to the axle or bolted on?

Yeah , everything looked good. No play .

Also my bracket is welded. I don't see any cracks or breaks anywhere.

Top Bottom