Beadlock Wheels are they necessary

TrailHunter

Hooked
I’ve ran my rubi stockers at 12lbs in some big sand dunes, no problems. I would’ve gone a little more but didn’t want to lose any more ground clearance..... I’ve run non-beadlocked with 35’s many times on a full size crew cab diesel (7000lb) at 8 - 10lbs in the sand with no issues. I do not have as much experience on the rocks but I would assume rocks are less forgiving than sand and beadlocks offer more peace of mind at low pressures.... Beadlocks also give you a healthy Ring to beat up on rather than the lip of a standard wheel..... That said... I’m looking forward to getting beadlocks.

Edit: I did lose a bead one time on my 35’s.... the stem cap had dirt in it and was slowly dropping my pressure... it was 2:00am, cold and off camber in the middle of the dunes.... It sucked.

Last edited:

Brute

Hooked
Any company will publish generously conservative info concerning their product to limit liability...having said that, I've been running bead locks on two different rigs for a total to date of about 30,000 miles without incident...be sure to check torque periodically on the bead lock bolts.

AZVAJKU

Hooked
Beadlocks can be a great asset, however you must commit to the increased maintenance required. Checking the lock-ring bolt torque is important, especially when new. Also making sure that the lock-ring bolts do not corrode is important. If you live anywhere that 'salts' the road in winter you will need to perform maintenance more frequently than someone who live in the desert.

As an example of his increased maintenance: It had been a while since I had disassembled the wheels and this is what the bolts looked like while on the wheel. Look good right?

AEV Ring bolts 03.jpg

When I disassembled the wheel for maintenance I discovered hidden corrosion.

AEV ring bolts 01.jpg

AEV ring bolts 02.jpg

I like my beadlocks and actually look forward working on them, however they are not for everyone.

At the end of the day it is your money and your Jeep so do what you think is best.

Necessary? No not really. However if you find yourself in areas where single digit tire pressure would help, or if you play in the rocks where you can have a tire peel off the bead then well, they make your life a bit easier. They do have their drawbacks. And cost isn’t the only one. They are a bit heavier, a pain in the ass to install and require regular attention. But for me, I wouldn’t run without them and they have paid for themselves more than once.

Randy Tadevich

Hi guys i’m pretty new to offroading in general, I have a stock Jeep Wrangler JKU Willy’s Wheeler edition and had a quick question. So I plan on going up to 35s and am also looking at new wheels i may offroad 1 or 2 times on easier trails throughout the year possibly do some driving on the beach at Jeep invasion in Wildwood, NJ but nothing crazy. So my question is for my type of off-road use do you guys think that beadlocks are really necessary for me or just really for show ?? let me know what you guys think I would rather not spend money on something i’ll rarely ever get use of my main concern is airing down on the beach sand? I’m a newb so thanks for the help guys

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
I think a good tire with a thick sidewall will benefit you a lot more than spending all the money on beadlocks. But they do look cool though.

Sent from my SM-J320V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Randy Tadevich

are you saying get like 16” wheel and 35” tires i was looking at 17” just cuz i figure i’m already used to current rubicon 17” wheels

No def get or keep a 17 in rim. I mean get a good quality off road tire that has a 10 ply sidewall. A lot of people run Toyos mt's, i personally run pro comp extreme mt2, and am happy with those. Theres a number of good tires to use. Going that route will save you money.

cangro408

No def get or keep a 17 in rim. I mean get a good quality off road tire that has a 10 ply sidewall. A lot of people run Toyos mt's, i personally run pro comp extreme mt2, and am happy with those. Theres a number of good tires to use. Going that route will save you money.

so recently I saw a 15” wheel on 35s and i thought that bulky extra sidewalk look was kinda of cool isso your dating don’t do that? going what route will save me money? and anyone have an opinions on the extra sidewalk look i’m talking about

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
I used to run my stock rubi rims/tires at 12psi. No issues whatsoever. Beadlocks as much as I love mine are slightly more of a hassle and only worth it if you’re gonna be wheeling a lot. I run my 37s on beadlocks at 8-9 psi and have a blast on the rocks. That extra couple of psi really does make a huge difference.

Cashburn

Beadlocks are for big boy wheelin’. No reason to get them for 1-2 trips in the sand. Having said that there’s no real maintenance on a good set. Take 15 mins and torque them if you want but mine have never been loose. Buy good quality, get good results. Stay away from cheap/steel wheels.

Last edited:

fiend

Caught the Bug
AEV are one of the few companies with a DOT approved set of bead locks so I feel it's more trying to persuade/scare potential customers to their product.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sort of like how people were led to believe that airbags wouldn’t work without the OEM “crush cans” that AEV retained with their aftermarket front bumper but many other manufacturers jettisoned. Bogus scare tactic to sell product.

FWIW, my Chamber Pro IIs have been fine for daily driving. Just like any other wheel. I check the torque of the ring bolts every few months, but have yet to find any loose.

Brute

Hooked

10 ply sidewall?...you might have to air down to -10 psi to get a bulge...

Top Bottom