bent axle shaft flange

i witnessed moochie bend his flange... but I didn't get a good look when it happened due to poor visibility from massive amounts of smoke:eek::icon_crazy::icon_crazy::icon_crazy:

bent axle shaft- I bet it's fairly common

i witnessed moochie bend his flange... but I didn't get a good look when it happened due to poor visibility from massive amounts of smoke:eek::icon_crazy::icon_crazy::icon_crazy:

No more smoke from Smokey. (Soon) :)

Bent Axle?

Besides ripping off my rear coil over reservoir at the start of the trail yesterday I tried making it up this to end the day. 70% is all I made it and had to back down. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1362945541.956598.jpg
Rear driver wheel squeaking pretty good unless hitting the brake and looks wobbly going straight down the road. I say I'm screwed. Whose with me?

How involved is the replacement? Axle housing has magnum sleeves installed.
Thanks for any input!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
Re: Bent Axle?

That sucks! But just so I am clear... your tried to go up what looks to be a cliff! giant testies sir! :thumbup:

andrew -

If all you're going to do is a direct axle swap it's pretty straight forward and not complicated. A little time consuming, but not difficult. Just unbolting everything, driveshaft, control arms, shocks and all that jazz. Hook it back up, make sure your still at the right angle for your drive line and torque everything back to spec, get an alignment and you're done.

Unless you're just talking axle shaft, that is even easier.

Last edited:
Maybe I've missed something but, I wasn't aware you could sleeve a rear axle housing. Regardless, what you're describing is a bent shaft flange. Pretty easy to do and common if you play hard. This write-up will help you out:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?5162-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Rear-Axle-Shaft-Removal-amp-Installation-Write-Up

Well crap I thought they were both sleeved. Knowledge gained. Thanks for the link. Best to replace with a stock takeoff until I'm ready to upgrade to Prorock 44?

Well crap I thought they were both sleeved. Knowledge gained. Thanks for the link. Best to replace with a stock takeoff until I'm ready to upgrade to Prorock 44?

Sorry to break the news to you but, there is no such thing as a rear Prorock 44. When it comes time for an upgrade, you'll be wanting a 60. Still, your problem is a bent axle flange and not a housing. Just wanted to make sure you understood that.

Re: Bent Axle?

I would think that is a good thing right? Changing out axle shafts is much easier than changing out the entire axle itself....

andrew -

I would think that is a good thing right? Changing out axle shafts is much easier than changing out the entire axle itself....

andrew -

Oh yeah, no need to replace an entire housing over a bent shaft flange. The only reason to replace an entire housing is because you've bent it or are playing hard enough with big enough tires that it's required.

Sorry to break the news to you but, there is no such thing as a rear Prorock 44. When it comes time for an upgrade, you'll be wanting a 60. Still, your problem is a bent axle flange and not a housing. Just wanted to make sure you understood that.

60 it is. What's another $2000-$3000 to save?;( Understood the difference between the two problems thanks for checking though I appreciate it.

60 it is. What's another $2000-$3000 to save?;( Understood the difference between the two problems thanks for checking though I appreciate it.

LOL!! At least you have the right attitude and can laugh about it :D

Thanks! I have a rubi, are the shafts the same length as the stock 44? Thought I read they have different lengths due to the elocker. I could be smoking crack though.

Rubi rear shafts are different spline count and have different lengths.

Top Bottom