Bent front axle or housing

Rb1boxer_3

While it will be the same, it is adjustable. I would set toe first just to be safe. If axle is shifted you could have a bent track bar, TB bracket, or something going on with control arms. Frame could be bent but less likely. You should have a frame shop look at it to be safe though. Being that your axle shifted, this is likely why your steering wheel was off at first.
Just got the call from alignment shop and my axle is bent left short tube he said it's pretty good bend and I need a new one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Just got the call from alignment shop and my axle is bent left short tube he said it's pretty good bend and I need a new one.

Sorry about the axle, but then again, the positive is upgrade time. You can usually get the check from your insurance company for an OEM priced new axle and use that money to fix the Jeep as you wish. So you could take the money they pay you and do what you wish with it.

Dynatrac Products, Inc.
7392 Count Circle
Huntington Beach, CA 92647
714-421-4314
Sales@Dynatrac.Com

Last edited:

Alkihaul

That sucks

I couldn't be happier with my ProRock 44 though so you have upgrades to look forward too I took the opportunity to regear as well.

J

JKDream

Unfortunately I figured this would be the case when you mentioned the crash.
Mine bent on the same side, from the same type of accident.

Sorry about the axle, but then again, the positive is upgrade time. You can usually get the check from your insurance company for an OEM priced new axle and use that money to fix the Jeep as you wish. So you could take the money they pay you and do what you wish with it.

Dynatrac Products, Inc.
7392 Count Circle
714-421-4314
Sales@Dynatrac.Com

Agreed - I just went through this, and while it is a good chunk of money, it is well worth it.
Not only is it a ton of BEEF, but the additional caster makes the Jeep drive SO much better.
Please don't bother replacing it with another OEM 44, or try and fix the original housing.
In my case, it ended up pulling the tube out of the differential trying to repair it.

Rb1boxer_3

Dynatrac Products, Inc.
7392 Count Circle
714-421-4314
Sales@Dynatrac.Com
I wish I always wanted a Prorock but I already built 1 tons I was just saving money to buy a lift but now that this happened I'll be able to. I just need to find a cheap d30 to get me rolling places now.
That sucks

I couldn't be happier with my ProRock 44 though so you have upgrades to look forward too I took the opportunity to regear as well.
I would of perferred a prorock but damn thats money.

Unfortunately I figured this would be the case when you mentioned the crash.
Mine bent on the same side, from the same type of accident.

Agreed - I just went through this, and while it is a good chunk of money, it is well worth it.
Not only is it a ton of BEEF, but the additional caster makes the Jeep drive SO much better.
Please don't bother replacing it with another OEM 44, or try and fix the original housing.
In my case, it ended up pulling the tube out of the differential trying to repair it.

Defiantly wouldn't bother replacing it after all the info I've read here. But since I'm already in my one tons it'll just push me faster to get them done now. They quoted me 3600 for a replacement my insurance is going to check it out tomorrow to confirm. I found a stock d30 for 500. I'll keep the rest and buy lift and rims. [emoji13] [emoji13] [emoji13]

Rb1boxer_3

Where do you find stock D30 for 500
Actually 400. The 500 is 600 cause it has 4.88 c gussets new paint lol and track bar bracket.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

In the trash?
For real what trash so I don't have to pay.
Everywhere. They are usually being given away. Anything is a dildo if you try hard enough.
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] seriously I just got offered a 30 and 44 for 500

KCgunner

Ok guys ripped it apart replaced wheel speed sensor. Put a dial indicator on outer hub no run out checked in couple spots put a dial on end of axle shaft (which I know the end of axle shaft threads and center is machined but maybe not precision) and could only find 7 thousands run out. Put long dial inside the hub where speed sensor goes and had no run out. Find it hard to believe that is enough to get upset about. This tells me that the 7 thou is play between inner race bearing and outer race of bearing being forced over by a slightly bent axle shaft. Sound about correct? I also test drove it rigorous in circles and braking and speed ABS sensor warning gone and no more anti lock chatter.

I was a little worried at first that the axle just floats inside housing no seal or bushing? I almost pulled apart other side to see. Will post a couple of pics. If anyone sees anything wrong let me know. I'm pretty satisfied all is ok for now thanks to everyone who added pics and info. IMG_4726.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Ok guys ripped it apart replaced wheel speed sensor. Put a dial indicator on outer hub no run out checked in couple spots put a dial on end of axle shaft (which I know the end of axle shaft threads and center is machined but maybe not precision) and could only find 7 thousands run out. Put long dial inside the hub where speed sensor goes and had no run out. Find it hard to believe that is enough to get upset about. This tells me that the 7 thou is play between inner race bearing and outer race of bearing being forced over by a slightly bent axle shaft. Sound about correct? I also test drove it rigorous in circles and braking and speed ABS sensor warning gone and no more anti lock chatter.

I was a little worried at first that the axle just floats inside housing no seal or bushing? I almost pulled apart other side to see. Will post a couple of pics. If anyone sees anything wrong let me know. I'm pretty satisfied all is ok for now thanks to everyone who added pics and info.

I think you're just over thinking this. If your hub has no run-out and axle splines inside of that, you aren't going to be able to measure run-out on the axle itself by the way you did. It's not accurate. The axle is supported by the unit bearing and the diff carrier. It's full float which is why it will likely break before it bends.

J

JKDream

I think you're just over thinking this. If your hub has no run-out and axle splines inside of that, you aren't going to be able to measure run-out on the axle itself by the way you did. It's not accurate. The axle is supported by the unit bearing and the diff carrier. It's full float which is why it will likely break before it bends.
Adding to this, the gap where you pointed is not normal; thehe shaft is pointing downwards. Which is a sign of a bent housing. Wjco made a good point about the full float housing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

KCgunner

That picture was with the 3 bolts out of hub and axle just laying there. I will drive it and see how it goes. I'm not feeling anything is bent that bad now axle or housing. DLR told me they pulled rotor and hub/tone wheel off and put on a machine checked "walk" determined axle was bent. Which means they tested play in bearing and said its from axle bent? Thats how I understood that test.

KCgunner

So I have been driving Jeep for several days. 1 time I slammed on brakes to stop for a red light on rough road/pot holes and the ABS flashed activated anti lock system. Other than it has been fine. So replacing sensor was helpful but I have something still bent. Whether it's axle or housing which I still don't know how I'm supposed to tell which if it is slight. Had a shop tell me replace hub/bearing/tone wheel assembly.

WJCO I understand what you meant by my test was not effective. Thank you good point bearing supported with the 3 bolts trying to absorb run out was just trying to check what I could.

aTX427

I'd drive it until you have the 1-tons ready to install, then part out the working axle components.

KCgunner

At this point I'm wondering just how bad if anything is wrong. July 4th I will be going off pavement will be a good test to see if sensor gets damaged as DLR claims was done by a "bent axle".

Top Bottom