Bent Tie Rod

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
:cheesy: Well yeah it's bent to holy hell but, I think the point Adam was trying to make is that it still works. If you have the tools, you can even straighten it out for FREE :yup:

Exactly. I can still adjust it and there is no point in buying another one since I bet it'll still happen. The only one I would buy is the currie.

Krieger

I replaced mine on Monday due to the fact it was making contact in two places.
I figured why try and straighten it if I'm going to upgrade to a PSC system soon.
I went with Synergy and can't complain one bit.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I'll stick to the factory replacements. When it does break you can always find a shop with one sitting on the shelf. No need to worry about a special tie rod ends from the auto parts store.

I bought one from a local shop in Utah on JKX for $40 after I snapped mine.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'll stick to the factory replacements. When it does break you can always find a shop with one sitting on the shelf. No need to worry about a special tie rod ends from the auto parts store.

From what I have tested, I would only spend the money on a Currie tie-rod - never bent the one I had and, unlike other aftermarket tie-rods, I've never need to adjust it once it was installed. Otherwise, my factory tie-rod still seems to be working just fine in spite of the 70,000+ miles I've put on Rubicat driving out to the trail, wheeling it and driving back home. Has it gotten bent? You bet but, it still works :yup:

suicideking

This is why I bought the Synergy -- so that I don't have to deal with it breaking. My factory tie rod was bent and straightened a few times and I've seen them get broken. The Synergy is not that expensive and I've never heard of one getting broken. They get bent a bit, but not like the factory rod. Not enough to need straightening.

If you're willing to carry a spare with you, sure it's free. I'd just rather have the piece of mind that it's not going to break.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
This is why I bought the Synergy -- so that I don't have to deal with it breaking. My factory tie rod was bent and straightened a few times and I've seen them get broken. The Synergy is not that expensive and I've never heard of one getting broken. They get bent a bit, but not like the factory rod. Not enough to need straightening.

If you're willing to carry a spare with you, sure it's free. I'd just rather have the piece of mind that it's not going to break.

Launch the front end of your jeep 10 feet in the air and see if it doesn't break on landing...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I don't know, $325 still seems like a LOT of coin to me especially for something that will still bend. I've run an RK tie rod and while it did cost a tiny bit more, I never had it bend on me. Of course, I've also run the more expensive Currie as well and can tell you that it never bent either.

While I have broken more than one factory tie-rod over the last 7+ years, it was never to the point where I couldn't trail fix it and get off the trail. I work from home and so all 70,000 miles on my Rubicat have been put heading out places like the Rubicon or the JK-Experience, wheeling it hard and then driving it back home and all of them have been done with the original factory tie-rod. When it comes time to replace it and I have no doubts it'll need to be replaced someday, I personally would prefer to spend $300+ on something that I know isn't going to bend. But, that's just me.

Top Bottom