best 2.5" lift for the street?

crowrb29

I went with a 2.5 TF budget boost and my jeep rode exactly the same as stock. IMHO you should probably get new shocks depending on what your plans are even if you go with a BB. My shocks were fine for about a year but hard use has made them ride like crap. If you have rubi shocks you could probably hold out a little bit longer.

Also FWIW I find my self wishing I hadn't settled for a budget boost and would have held out for something a little bit better. Don't get me wrong I love my jeep but I know I could get a lot more out of it if I would have waited.....

Last edited:

tonytony9

I would just go with a budget boost. The aev lift is an amazing package but it is also very expensive for what you need. I'd say just get a bb and save the money for other upgrades. If you want you can replace your shocks and that may help with your ride quality. I have the rough country 2.5 inch bb lift and it allows for up to 35's.

wcarlson40

I went with the AEV 2.5 kit and am very happy with it. I would agree with others on this forum that it isn't the best choice for extreme off roading, but for me, my Jeep is my daily driver, and I'm not planning on doing any major stuff that is going to damage my new vehicle. I also chose the AEV kit because I'm a do-it-yourselfer, and it was a project I could do in my own garage (no welding).

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I'll chime in here, as I was looking for a soft, cushy ride in the 2.5 inch range as well. I've had Teraflex, ProComp, JKS and have rode in a few others as well. While ride quality is subjective, the OP did say Cushy and not happy with stock ride. Those of you with Teraflex may be happy with your ride, but they are not cushy or soft by any means. In fact, they are some of the stiffest coils you can get. ProComp, I had a very similar experience, stiff springs. The JKS I am currently on are very similar to stock, but a 2" spring wielded me 3.25" of actual lift. If your looking for something softer than stock, your going to be looking at a plush ride coil, or maybe even an Old Man Emu light duty coil. I believe these are available in the 3" range. Otherwise, you'd be hard pressed to find a 'softer' riding coil than the stock ones. A budget boost might be the best answer for you if your looking for exactly 2.5" of lift, that is, if you can live with the stock ride. Maybe a BB with some adjustable Rancho 9000s turned to the softest setting? Good luck with your search. Me, although I'm happy with the stock feel of the JKS springs, I'll be swapping over to EVO plush rides this winter in an attempt to get the 'softer than stock' ride I'm still searching for.

mtt

The type of tires you run make difference to the quality of the ride too. My Duratracs feel a lot more cushier than the BFG AT's I had on before.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the inputs.

I've decided to go with goodyear duratracs. I ran 285's on my 4runner and loved them. I'm on the fence between 285's and 315's for the stock wheels with spidertrax spacers.

Lift, again I'm on the fence between AEV with rancho brackets, RockKrawler flex, and a budget boost for now and upgrade later.

I'll eventually go with ARB front and rear bumpers and a winch.

The pluses for the 285's are: approved for 7.5" wheel (I love the stock rubi wheels), fits on stock rear carrier for now, works better with my 4.10 gears, cheaper
Cons- they don't look nearly as cool at 35's and I can't say I'm running 35's. I've owned 5 4x4's in the past and they all had 32 or 33" tires. I've always "wanted" 35's.

The RK lift is built more to my liking, but a flex with shocks is going to be closer to $1300-ish. AND, I'm worried about the "extra" height over 2.5" and having to buy a new front drive shaft.

SevenSlotSpartan

As a few others have said on here this is really subjective to the person and what their particular needs/desires are, but i would suggest looking into the Rock Krawler 2.5" Flex System due to the fact that you can actually net around 3.25", which is more than enough for 35s and their new progressive rate coils are the bomb. Again this is from my experience and I like this system a lot and paired with the fox monotubes it rides great on and off the road.

zzachm18

I can chip in on the teraflex lift, I like it, however it is on the harsher side for me. I recently swapped rubi shocks w adapters to rancho 5000x shocks. Improved control and harshness for me. I've ridden in jeeps with Rock krawler and evo coils, both with fox performance shocks and a jeep with rancho coils and 9000s. Evo and rancho were definitely a softer ride both on and off road.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug

Cons- they don't look nearly as cool at 35's and I can't say I'm running 35's. I've owned 5 4x4's in the past and they all had 32 or 33" tires. I've always "wanted" 35's.

I'll say this, in my opinion if you want 35s then get 35s. There are more than a few folks who have been in the same situation, including me. I went with 285s originally and can say that in my opinion, the JK swallowed them. I ran them on both a 2 door and 4 door and they were just too small. I think you'll be happiest with 35s, and your 4:10s are just fine for 35s. Better to buy what you want right off the bat than to spend money twice. Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited:

RjSkippy

I'll say this, in my opinion if you want 35s then get 35s. There are more than a few folks who have been in the same situation, including me. I went with 285s originally and can say that in my opinion, the JK swallowed them. I ran them on both a 2 door and 4 door and they were just too small. I think you'll be happiest with 35s, and your 4:10s are just fine for 35s. Better to buy what you want right off the bat than to spend money twice. Good luck and keep us posted!

I very much agree with you.. that's what I did. It's better just to get exactly what you want right off the bat even if it takes a little longer to save up for it. :thumb:

zimm

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys. 2.5" rock krawler flex kit is on order.

I really like that they have new lower control arms instead of drop brackets, stainless braided brake lines instead of drop brackets, and that I can upgrade to other control arms in the future if needed.

JakeJK

Thanks guys. 2.5" rock krawler flex kit is on order.

I really like that they have new lower control arms instead of drop brackets, stainless braided brake lines instead of drop brackets, and that I can upgrade to other control arms in the future if needed.

Good choice

Top Bottom