Best differential fluid?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you have a limited slip differential, a good synthetic is what I would recommend as it will come with the friction modifier you need to make it work properly.

If you have an ARB air locker, you really want to run old school dino as synthetic fluid will damage the o-ring and cause leaks. Ask me how I know.

If you change your gear oil often as is a good thing to do especially if you play in deep water, the cheapest stuff you can put in is what I would recommend. Not that synth is a bad thing, it just gets real expensive.

Peak

If you have a limited slip differential, a good synthetic is what I would recommend as it will come with the friction modifier you need to make it work properly.

If you have an ARB air locker, you really want to run old school dino as synthetic fluid will damage the o-ring and cause leaks. Ask me how I know.

If you change your gear oil often as is a good thing to do especially if you play in deep water, the cheapest stuff you can put in is what I would recommend. Not that synth is a bad thing, it just gets real expensive.

Would I have any issues switching from synthetic to standard fluid?

WJCO

Meme King
Gonna change my gear oil soon and switch out covers. Thanks for sharing this info. and thanks to wayalife for the write up.

I just did mine and used Permatex Right Stuff 1 Minute Gasket on the covers, comes in a pressurized can. It drys really quick, and the can has a trigger nozzle. Way easier and faster than the tube RTV. I'm going to use that stuff from now on.

chili84

Damn. Wish I knew about the ARB fluid before hand haha. Looks like I'll be changing that out this weekend.

I just did mine and used Permatex Right Stuff 1 Minute Gasket on the covers, comes in a pressurized can. It drys really quick, and the can has a trigger nozzle. Way easier and faster than the tube RTV. I'm going to use that stuff from now on.

I was originally considering using lube locker gaskets, but reading about there being just enough gap to potentially catch an edge made me reconsider going that route. Thanks for the recommendation.

DGP

Just talked to my local 4x4 shop and he said he has been running Lucas Oil 85W -140 in all rearends with ARB lockers. He said that's what ARB recommends. I'll be doing a oil swap tomorrow and will be sticking with that as long as I don't run into any issues.

Last edited:

swampdog

Just talked to my local 4x4 shop and he said he has been running Lucas Oil 85W -140 in all rearends with ARB lockers. He said that's what ARB recommends. I'll be doing a oil swap tomorrow and will be sticking with that as long as I don't run into any issues.

ARB does NOT recommend Lucas. ARB recommends any regular gear oil without a limited slip additive. Lucas is not a preferred brand by ARB. I e-mailed them a few weeks ago and they said nothing about Lucas, just no limited slip additive.

DGP

ARB does NOT recommend Lucas. ARB recommends any regular gear oil without a limited slip additive. Lucas is not a preferred brand by ARB. I e-mailed them a few weeks ago and they said nothing about Lucas, just no limited slip additive.

The part number he stated they recommended is Lucas #10042 SAE 85w-140 heavy duty gear oil. From what I understand it is conventional oil without limited slip additives. He stated that's what they recommended 10 years ago. I have no direct contact with ARB yet but it sounds like it should fit all the parameters they require. Did you get a reply from ARB to not use Lucas?

swampdog

The part number he stated they recommended is Lucas #10042 SAE 85w-140 heavy duty gear oil. From what I understand it is conventional oil without limited slip additives. He stated that's what they recommended 10 years ago. I have no direct contact with ARB yet but it sounds like it should fit all the parameters they require. Did you get a reply from ARB to not use Lucas?

No, got a reply to use ANY regular gear oil without LS additive. They did not specify Lucas. I guess the point I'm making is that no specific manufacturer was recommended.

Last edited:

Tree Frog

Thanks for the info about ARB's and what NOT to run.
Just about time to change my fluid out and would have gone with a Synth. :doh:

Top Bottom