Best half door option

Journeyman

I do really like the interior of the rugged ridge half doors. Seems more functional than just a blank piece of metal. Those storage bins seem like their probably better than the factory full doors and they're annoying net pocket.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I do really like the interior of the rugged ridge half doors. Seems more functional than just a blank piece of metal. Those storage bins seem like their probably better than the factory full doors and they're annoying net pocket.

LOL!! Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who finds the net pockets useless and annoying. And yes, the bins on the Rugged Ridge doors are very useful. :yup:

Anyone know if the rugged ridge uppers come with tinted windows?

Not the ones that I got and to the best of my knowledge, they are not available with a tint.

Azzi

Those doors are the only option if you want high quality fit and finish inside and out.

Rancho

Caught the Bug
I talked to Martin last week at All4Fun and he let me know that interior options are now available and they will now work with both the Bestop and Rugged Ridge uppers. If you have the older style and want Bestop uppers, you will need to modify the front (drill out the holes and some other things)

I run them and my kids (and I ) really like them.

IMG_20160707_161602943_zpsrjlxkwhk.jpg

I've talked to Martin several times about when he's coming out with inside door panels. A lot of R&D but I think it's in the works.

Crystaliner

Doesn't know shit about wheeling
Anyone run the savvy doors? I see several people around here run them and they seem to work out well. Rugged seem to be one of the most popular.

I have the Savvy doors. If I were to rewind defiantly then would go with the rugged doors. Think I'm going to put the savvy doors for sale.

woof359

bad fit

I had the Bestop soft doors upper and lowers, the upper pulled away from the top at about 35 MPH, that wasn't gonna work in the rain, I still cant figure why no one has come out with CJ5 type doors yet

jasont0311

Caught the Bug
I've talked to Martin several times about when he's coming out with inside door panels. A lot of R&D but I think it's in the works.

I can't wait. These are great trail doors. Perfect for my needs. I look forward to seeing the new style

JohnnyWest

I just got done doing the Mopar doors. I'm happy with them, but probably would've gone a different route if I were to go back and do it again. Way too expensive for what they are and like Eddie said, they're heavy. I think I'll build some molds and make my own for the other Jeep out of fiberglass or carbon fiber.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1470805109.541779.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1470805131.385404.jpg

BRaVell

They sure do look good tho.

How about zebra strike force.... Other than having no upper..... which they have been promising for the last few years. I think the inside and latch look better than rugged ridge. And from the few pictures of the proto type uppers look like they will also be solid vs canvas.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I had the Bestop soft doors upper and lowers, the upper pulled away from the top at about 35 MPH, that wasn't gonna work in the rain, I still cant figure why no one has come out with CJ5 type doors yet

There is a company that makes sliding glass half doors for the JK, but will only work with the factory half doors. I posted them a while back in another thread, I'll see if I can find the company name again.

EDIT: Retrofit Off-road makes them, check them out if that's what your looking for. If I would have known about these when I had my last rig..., well, I'd probably still have my last rig.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just got done doing the Mopar doors. I'm happy with them, but probably would've gone a different route if I were to go back and do it again. Way too expensive for what they are and like Eddie said, they're heavy. I think I'll build some molds and make my own for the other Jeep out of fiberglass or carbon fiber.

Damn, those look great! I really love the factory half doors and will most likely order my next one with them but for how I use my JK's, I'm still way happier with the Rugged Ridge doors if only because they only weigh about 14 lbs. and won't crush, dent or buckle in the way metal doors will. Still, those look awesome - nice job!

How about zebra strike force.... Other than having no upper..... which they have been promising for the last few years. I think the inside and latch look better than rugged ridge. And from the few pictures of the proto type uppers look like they will also be solid vs canvas.

LOL!! The not having any uppers seems like a pretty big deal to me. As you've pointed out, they've been promised since they came out and that was YEARS ago. Also, the ones I've seen all looked warped or something.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Times when I'm really glad not having heavy metal doors. Running these is almost like running doorless and so far, the only major hit we've had to one only left scratches in the paint. On a metal door, it would of had real damage.

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

metalic

Times when I'm really glad not having heavy metal doors. Running these is almost like running doorless and so far, the only major hit we've had to one only left scratches in the paint. On a metal door, it would of had real damage.

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

What material are the RR doors made out of? I always assumed they was metal

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What material are the RR doors made out of? I always assumed they was metal

They are blow molded plastic. This is why they're so much lighter and more flexible than the other doors out there.

Here's a shot of what their rear passenger side door looks like after taking the hit you see above.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1470838413.372589.jpg

I should note that the hit was big enough that the upper door hinge slipped its bolts and got pushed in on the B-pillar. Not saying that the door is indestructible or wouldn't ever break but it didn't for us on that obstacle. What I can tell you is that if this were a metal door, it would have a big dent in it. Trust me, we've done it.

metalic

They are blow molded plastic. This is why they're so much lighter and more flexible than the other doors out there.

Here's a shot of what their rear passenger side door looks like after taking the hit you see above.

View attachment 216784

I should note that the hit was big enough that the upper door hinge slipped its bolts and got pushed in on the B-pillar. Not saying that the door is indestructible or wouldn't ever break but it didn't for us on that obstacle. What I can tell you is that if this were a metal door, it would have a big dent in it. Trust me, we've done it.

I'll have to look into them . 3 of my 4drs. Have dents but wheel doorless as much as conditions allows. I have be stop soft doors and do you know if the uppers will fit those doors?

JohnnyWest

Damn, those look great! I really love the factory half doors and will most likely order my next one with them but for how I use my JK's, I'm still way happier with the Rugged Ridge doors if only because they only weigh about 14 lbs. and won't crush, dent or buckle in the way metal doors will. Still, those look awesome - nice job!

Thanks. I'm happy with how they look, but I wish I had gone the same route you did. The weight difference alone makes it worth it. Plus the fact that the Rugged Ridge can take a beating, way better set up than Mopar.

jeeper52

LOSER

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php
[/QUOTE

Wow,glad to see they hold up to real world abuse. That pic is exactly why i dont want to wheel with full doors lol. Looks like I'll end up with a set shortly. Thanks for the info!

@jeeper52
Not sure if you are still looking for 1/2 doors, but I have a “BRAND NEW” 2017 JKU (502 miles) with FACTORY half doors I’m looking to swap for full doors...
Not sure if that might be something you may be interested in.
I can send you pics.
The doors have power locks as well.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
@jeeper52
Not sure if you are still looking for 1/2 doors, but I have a “BRAND NEW” 2017 JKU (502 miles) with FACTORY half doors I’m looking to swap for full doors...
Not sure if that might be something you may be interested in.
I can send you pics.
The doors have power locks as well.

Welcome to Wayalife. Read the rules toolshed.

Top Bottom