Best skid plate setup ? Necessary ?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes! But again I guess it all depends if you are going wheeling or to the mall. :yup:

Well, you got me there. I am a mall crawler and that is why I still run the same factory skid plates on Moby that came on him back in January of 2007. Clearly, if I actually wheeled my Jeeps, I'd need to buy expensive replacement skids.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Yes! But again I guess it all depends if you are going wheeling or to the mall. :yup:

Yeah who would be dumb enough to wheel with stock skids, except at the mall of course. We ALL should spend cash on TnT aluminum skid plates and pay someone to install them! :yup:

blackrubi14

Since so many of you seem to have missed it, the OP specifically asked if it was "NECESSARY". You liking what you've chosen to buy is not the same thing.

I should have added in my response. Necessary, no, recommended, yes for '12 and up autos with the transmission cooling line out in the open. I feel a lot better about having that line protected.

mastrcruse

Well, you got me there. I am a mall crawler and that is why I still run the same factory skid plates on Moby that came on him back in January of 2007. Clearly, if I actually wheeled my Jeeps, I'd need to buy expensive replacement skids.

I thought on Moby you had the Evo Protek setup? Maybe just the oil/tranny skid though?

Exodus 4x4

I put the evo protek system on mine, but only after I dinged my oil pan. Luckily it wasn't too bad and didn't cause anything to leak, but in hindsight it would've been nice to have had it on there instead of denting my oil pan.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I should have added in my response. Necessary, no, recommended, yes for '12 and up autos with the transmission cooling line out in the open. I feel a lot better about having that line protected.

Agreed, that's why I recommended as much on post #2.

I thought on Moby you had the Evo Protek setup? Maybe just the oil/tranny skid though?

Moby runs an 6.2L LS. Nobody makes a skid for it or the 6L80 transmission we are running. Needless to say, we don't run ANY skids other than what came from the factory. Of course, I never wheel my Jeeps.

mastrcruse

Moby runs an 6.2L LS. Nobody makes a skid for it or the 6L80 transmission we are running. Needless to say, we don't run ANY skids other than what came from the factory. Of course, I never wheel my Jeeps.

Ah makes sense. I'll free up some money then when I go to a 4" lift with 40's and get rid of all of my skids. Probably save a ton of weight too.

You sure make a lot of wheelin videos for you never wheeling your Jeep :)

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ah makes sense. I'll free up some money then when I go to a 4" lift with 40's and get rid of all of my skids. Probably save a ton of weight too.

You sure make a lot of wheelin videos for you never wheeling your Jeep :)

:cheesy: Never said to get rid of your skids, just that it isn't "necessary" to replace the factory ones with expensive and heavy and heat trapping and difficult to maintain your Jeep ones. Of course, that's just my opinion.

deezus

I'm running the ProTek system. Had it on the rack this weekend rotating tires and noticed some newly aquired rash from sliding off a rock...did their job just fine!

Install pic
View attachment 190836

Thank you for that picture! I'm debating whether to do this, not gonna hammer my JKUR, but I like the lightweight look to the EVO versus Rockhard.

This may be a dumb question, but I've wondered because of the way the EVO oil pan skid attaches it would cause any damage. It looks as if the force would be distributed evenly up into the bottom of the motor, but didnt know if a good enough wack would cause problems.

What have been yall's experience with the oil pan skids if you have ever hit it directly hard. Would the RockHard skid be any better?

This will be my first mod and want to get it right the first time.

Rud

Damn stop making me confused

Bro (Eddie) I'm doin the Rubicon, what engine/trans skid should I add to my stock Hard Rock?

Top Bottom