Best sport cage

Dave_g

Your write up on the Rock Hard is what sold me the on it. I went to a few body shops any none of them were able to get the Commando green PGH color paint to color match. I was looking at trying to order it in a spray can form and doing it myself, but I cant find it. there are a few Powder coating shops around here in San Diego that I want to talk to about getting it matched, either way I'm at a loss for getting that color on there.

DasBuxxx

I've got the weld in from RR and like it. The fit was great and seems to be a strong design.
ry5ypu8y.jpg
not a very good pic, sorry.

Cage looks good man..

and good looking AB

Mikes Offroad

At the JKX Eddie Dave had one of the PSC in his and I remember him saying that he had no issues either. I did get some weird noises from the cross bars that tie into the factory cage. After I went through and snugged the bolts all down all the noise went away. Maybe I am just real lucky:brows:

Skirmish

Just did an OR Fab install last weekend. Zero noise. Drilling holes up the side pinch seams accurately was difficult for me as was trimming plastic around the cage. I was able to get it in myself but I'm sure it would have been easier with help.

I went with OR Fab for a few reasons. I like that it replaces the front side bars and that the streamer bars are open instead of covered. Not a big deal but I wanted a more clear open top feel. At around $710 with the floor tie ins I feel they have the best price point.

A few notes for anyone who had the same concerns I did, the lower windshield bar doesn't really block anything other than the view of the hood or in my case most of the HiLift mounted over the hood. I was worried it would be a distraction but it isn't. The upper bar is unnoticeable. From what I can tell all of the kits are the same way.

When OR Fab says "wrinkle black" what they really mean is texture black. The same as most other black armor with a look of sand in the paint. Smittybuilt has more of a wrinkle black, Harley uses it more accurately. Wrinkle looks like crumpled foil or flakes in the paint.

The only issue I had with the directions was that the passenger side cut out for the dash fins were a little vague but when you test fit the side piece you will see what needs to come out.

I've seen a Rock Hard in an LJ and it looks solid and well made, I'm impressed with the OR Fab design and fit. Between the floor ties and front side bars I feel a little more confident in it but that isn't based on any testing, just my own opinion. I haven't really looked at a PSC up close so I have no opinion of theirs other than it cost more.

Sharkey

Word Ninja

Attachments

• IMG_0340.jpg
    IMG_0340.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0339.jpg
    IMG_0339.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0338.jpg
    IMG_0338.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0335.jpg
    IMG_0335.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
^^ Thanks! It was my first attempt at installing a cage (and doing trim work) so I was kind of shooting from the hip. Next go around I hope to make it look a little cleaner.

CCTX50

I have heard that you have to do some modifications to the hardtop if you use the Rock Hard Sport Cage? Is this true? If so, what are we talking about?

RDE2ROK

I have the OR-FAB as well, I pretty much agree with Skirmish! They do come in what they call Texured & Bike Black(a shiny black) you may also get it raw metal as I did and had it powder coated to match the jeep. I didn't have any problems with air or water leaks but you do have to measure!

Last edited:

Skirmish

^^ Thanks! It was my first attempt at installing a cage (and doing trim work) so I was kind of shooting from the hip. Next go around I hope to make it look a little cleaner.

Looks a lot better than mine. Maybe if I send you some pieces and some cash maybe you could start a little side business.

Rock-itman

I have heard that you have to do some modifications to the hardtop if you use the Rock Hard Sport Cage? Is this true? If so, what are we talking about?

I saw on a you tube video installation of the Rock Hard , when you put the tops on you need to trim a little on the removable panels (actully it looks like they drilled a whole on the corner of the top ) Not all the way through obviously but enough to clear the bar connector im thinking !! You tube can show you its very easy to see :rock: goodluck

rinkishjk

Sharkey that looks great! Honestly before this thread and the imput, my choice would have been the psc, then the rock hard..
Now after reading I would hands down buy the or fab.
More work, but looks way better, and is stronger in my eyes.

In eddies write up what finish is on that cage?

RDE2ROK

Here are a few pics of the OR-FAB sport cage powder coated red,and a shot of the floor mount.

image-1098198105.jpg

image-418157197.jpg

image-798595312.jpg

I really like the way Sharkey finished off the plastic trim! Nice job!!

Top Bottom