BIG MONEY? thoughts on these price quotes?

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
I don't any company will outright say "we're not made in USA" unless you ask them

Of course they won't. But they sure will go out of their way to stretch the truth to make is sound as close to "Made in the USA" as possible.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Regardless, both TF44 and PR44 seem like excellent products and I've seen great reviews for both

Just dropping 8k+ after taxes is a BIG purchase for anyone

LOL!! Great reviews from who?? I don't know a single Ultra4 racer who runs a TF anything let alone anything of theirs. And, for a company that specializes in suspension, they can't even do that right.

attachment.php

attachment.php

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4743-TeraFlex-Long-Arm-Bracket-Break

main.php

main.php

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?5169-TeraFlex-Front-Track-Bar-Breaks

When they try to get into the tire carrier business, they break too.
attachment.php

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4740-TeraFlex-Hinged-Tire-Carrier-Break

They can't even make rocker guards that will stand up to a little abuse.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And now you're really considering giving them thousands of your hard earned dollars for a product made in china and one that they don't even specialize in? :cheesy:

By all means, knock yourself out :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't any company will outright say "we're not made in USA" unless you ask them

No, but companies such as Dynatrac who DO make their axles here in the USA can proudly and legally boast as much. They don't need to church up words and deceive people into thinking otherwise.

JAGS

Hooked
Why not just change to thread title to "Gonna ask, but don't care. I'm getting a TF44."

Then we'll all wait for the "Can't believe my TF 44 failed" thread.

Of course, if you don't wheel that hard, you could probably just be good with a Rubi 44 and call it day. You wouldn't break that or the TeraFail 44 either.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Sigh. Listening to people try to justify buying junk is getting tiresome.

If you want to buy junk, go ahead. It's your money. Just don't come crying to us when the shit breaks and you have to start over.

computeruser6

Anyways, to get back on topic, 8k for option 4, pr44 or tera44, looking like a fair market price?

If you're going to buy a Dana 44, wait for one that's used with a better than stock housing to show up in a classified ad or website. If you buy one with all new components you won't be too far off from buying some variant of a Dana 60.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I'm going to go against the grain here and recommend the Tera44 housing as a good product. I bought the R44 housing to re-use the stock GKN locker, brackets and end-forgings installed for 4" of lift, and 3.25x.25" tubes. The price is comparable to a ProRock 44 and the Teraflex housing is made in the United States. The housing has turned out to be pretty durable. I also got a pretty good deal for it from Offroad Warehouse since I was getting a lot of other work done at the same time, so it ended up being a few hundred bucks cheaper for me to purchase than a ProRock 44. The clearance of the ProRock 44 is a little better though. OP, if you're thinking of buying an entire assembly new it's almost better to buy a Dana 60. If you pay someone else to do the labor and buy all components new you won't be too far off from a Dana 60. If you're going to buy a Dana 44 try to find a used one; it'll be a lot cheaper and the ring and pinion will already be broken in.

View attachment 128894

View attachment 128895

Wow, you really that bullshit they sold you on don't you ?

K.D.C.H

I'm going to go against the grain here and recommend the Tera44 housing as a good product...

The price is comparable to a ProRock 44...

The clearance of the ProRock 44 is a little better though.

When you're going off road clearance is everything so why would you recommend the TF44 over the PR44, what was it about the TF that helped make your decision?

The price is comparable, clearance on the PR if better over the TF44 and the quality of the parts are better on the PR vs. TF (American vs. Chinese). What am I missing here, how is it a good product that you recommend? When the difference in price is only a few hundred dollars to me it just seems like an odd choice considering all the factors.

Anyways, to get back on topic

We are on topic, take a look at YOUR title and the last word in YOUR original post, you asked for people's thoughts and they are giving them to you. Why even post up if you know you're going to go with the TF regardless. I think the frustrating part for most is that so many Jeepers come on here asking for help, advice or "Thoughts", then everyone (but one) gives you their thoughts which are supported by facts not just opinions and you still seem to lean towards the worse option.

I know price can be a big factor when choosing but it really is the wrong way to look at things. Look at the part, not the price tag.

When TF already has enough issues with the products they do specialize in, why opt for a product they don't.

Figure out what you want, if it costs more either figure out a way to get it cheaper or wait and save up for it. The last thing you want to do is to be broken on the side of the trail all because you went with something that cost a few hundred less.

Just my thoughts.

tom82jeep

I think this conversation is great for I too have the d30 and know some day I'll be replacing it and thanks to this thread I know more than I did thanks guys

Jackal01

I think this conversation is great for I too have the d30 and know some day I'll be replacing it and thanks to this thread I know more than I did thanks guys

If you do even a minor amount of looking on here you will see that this is not uncommon. This was a pretty silly thread to begin with as it seemed the OP was practically set on a teracrap axle. The majority of axle swaps on here are with Dynatracs and for countless good reasons.

Top Bottom